#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

As I said last night in the game thread, Kelly got a teaching job in Baltimore so we'll be moving to the city. We both really like the idea of city living so we're excited about that.

I'm pretty familiar with Fells Point and Canton because my dad lived in that area, so those are neighborhoods we're going to check out along with Mount Vernon and the area around OPACY (little to the North and a little to the West).  Any advice on neighborhoods to check out and avoid would be great.

• JeremyStrain and SammyBirdland like this

#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

Mt Vernon would be my choice. Fed Hill is for lax douches. I like Canton but the square is way too young suburban idiot for me.

@fuzydunlop

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

MTV for sure, that's where I would want to live if I lived downtown. Went to UB and the area has changed so much in the last 13 years. Also look at downtown. A lot of old, cool office buildings are being converted into apartments and condos. Fells Point is great, but expensive and Canton, like McNulty, said is a frat party and parking sucks. Plus you're cut off from the rest of the city as far as transit goes. But Verde Pizza is amazing. Best pizza in Bmore by far.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

As I said last night in the game thread, Kelly got a teaching job in Baltimore so we'll be moving to the city. We both really like the idea of city living so we're excited about that.

I'm pretty familiar with Fells Point and Canton because my dad lived in that area, so those are neighborhoods we're going to check out along with Mount Vernon and the area around OPACY (little to the North and a little to the West).  Any advice on neighborhoods to check out and avoid would be great.

I hope you mean very little to the west of Camden Yards.

Congrats to you both.
  • Don Quixote likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Ridgley's Delight is nice.

Some parts of Washington Village are doable and the house prices are great for what you get. It's still a fringe-y neighborhood though.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,764 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Canton's obviously my favorite area of the city.  Recommend it highly.  Parking really isn't that bad unless you are right near the square, and if that's a major concern you can look for a place with a parking pad.

In addition to the other places you are looking, check out Hampden.  A little bit North, but lots of cool bars and restaurants.  Several of my friends have moved from Canton to Hampden in the last few years (though mostly just ones who commute north to Hunt Valley for work).

You looking to buy or rent?  Great time to buy in Canton with the new Canton Crossing.  Property values seem to be going up nice and steady lately.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Rent. And yes Mike, just slightly west of OPACY.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Ridgley's Delight is nice.

Some parts of Washington Village are doable and the house prices are great for what you get. It's still a fringe-y neighborhood though.

I'll have to look those up.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

My advice? Live in the Burbs.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

He'll have the uppper hand commute wise though, when 24x7's big pocket's fund the new BSL downtown radio studio.

• Adam Wolff, SammyBirdland and Mike in STL like this

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Where'd Kelly get a job?

My whole family is full of teachers. 

@beginthebegin71

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Would much rather live in a city.
  • Mackus and McNulty like this

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

It's been long enough since I've lived in the city (2000-07) that I have no idea if it still applies, but in my Canton-to-Hopkins commute I regularly drove through places like Butcher's Hill and Patterson Park, and both had lots of homes that were being re-habbed and were still relatively affordable.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,764 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Lots of nice houses in the area just North of Patterson Park. I think its a tad less safe than some other areas, but thats mostly just people screwing with your car overnight, so just never leave anything in it. I wouldn't feel particularly unsafe walking around at night or fear a mugging or anything like that, and I wouldn't be any more fearful of a home break in than most other neighborhoods.
  • mweb08 likes this

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Would much rather live in a city.

Ya, I know a lot of people like that.

I can't stand lack of parking, traffic, ignorant people not giving a damn walking around in front of you, no yard, etc....

I do see a lot of positives to it as well though...can see how fun it would be but it would drive me crazy.

Have always said that if I had the money to have a place downtown(as a second home) that had its own garage and things like that, I would be for that. Otherwise, you couldn't pay me to live down there.

#16 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

Ya, I know a lot of people like that.

I can't stand lack of parking, traffic, ignorant people not giving a damn walking around in front of you, no yard, etc....

I do see a lot of positives to it as well though...can see how fun it would be but it would drive me crazy.

Have always said that if I had the money to have a place downtown(as a second home) that had its own garage and things like that, I would be for that. Otherwise, you couldn't pay me to live down there.

You could just not have a car.  Its liberating.  I left both of mine at my parents house when I moved out west last month.

@fuzydunlop

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Traffic is an issue in the burbs too and besides, there won't be nearly as much reason to drive for us. Now, that aspect would be better if public transit was stronger and it was a better weather city. I just like being able to walk to a lot of stuff as well as use public transit. I also like the quality and diversity of restaurants and bars rather than a bunch of franchises and places without much character. Not that there aren't good places in the burbs too, they are just not as plentiful IMO.

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

I also think on a grander level that people really should live in cities and farms/rural areas. Suburban sprawl is not a positive IMO.
  • KWebz likes this

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

I also think on a grander level that people really should live in cities and farms/rural areas. Suburban sprawl is not a positive IMO.

Schools often blow in the cities and a lot of rural areas..if you want that, you will have an even dumber society. :).

Crime is also worse in the cities, so I see no reason to want to be in the middle of that, especially when you are trying to or are raising a family.

I do regret not living in the city for a little bit when I was a lot younger...to be able to go to a different bar all the time, be a regular, etc...way better in the city than most places in the burbs...I totally agree with that.

My friends lived in that Patterson Park area...they had a young kid. Nice row house...crime everywhere, drugs everywhere(more openly than in the Burbs), etc...they couldn't get out fast enough once they had a family.

In your case or if you are single, I can see how city life makes a lot of sense and is fun...but as you get older, have a family, etc...I see zero appeal to it.

#20 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Living in the suburbs is boring, makes you car dependent for everything, has limited high quality bars and restaurants/stuff to do, and you would have to worry about parking even more every time you want to go into the city for anything. No thank you. But to each their own.
  • McNulty likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=