#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

ESPNHow many All-Stars will be Hall of Famers?

OK, so what about 2014? History would suggest we'll have at least 15 future Hall of Famers, maybe more. Of course, we also have more All-Stars to choose from, as rosters have expanded in recent years to 34 active players, plus others who were replaced.

Here's a guess:

Locks (2): Derek Jeter, Miguel Cabrera.

If this year's game seemed particularly lacking in big stars, this is probably why: I see only two locks.

Building strong cases (2): Robinson Cano, Adrian Beltre, Yadier Molina.

Borderline veterans (2): Tim Hudson, Chase Utley.

On the right path (6): Mike Trout, Felix Hernandez, Clayton Kershaw, Andrew McCutchen, Troy Tulowitzki, Giancarlo Stanton.

After that? It's a crapshoot. Adam Wainwright has 111 career wins but is already 32. Mark Buehrle will be viewed more as a compiler. It's too early to judge some of the other young players -- David Price, Yu Darvish, Paul Goldschmidt, Yasiel Puig, Chris Sale, Madison Bumgarner and so on. But some of that group will emerge down the road.

It does make me wonder if the talent right now is skewing young; also, we're in a pitching era, which deflates some of the hitter stats. But pitchers also have a tougher time making the Hall of Fame, at least by current standards.

Note this is just people who appeared in this year's ASG.

Chris-can you edit the title?

@levineps

#2 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Felix is just on the right path? I'm not saying he's a lock, but he definitely has to be at LEAST in the "building strong cases" camp.

I always look at it as "If this player had a career-ending injury today, would you put him in the HOF?" Jeter and Cabrera, definitely, but I think Felix has a greater than 50% chance as is.

(Also, there are 3 people in "building strong cases", not 2, as noted in the article.)

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Felix is just on the right path? I'm not saying he's a lock, but he definitely has to be at LEAST in the "building strong cases" camp.

Jeter and Cabrera, definitely, but I think Felix has a greater than 50% chance as is.

(Also, there are 3 people in "building strong cases", not 2, as noted in the article.)

Yep a bit of an oversight there

My line is if they got run over by a bus tomorrow (and they wouldn't be getting sympathy votes), are they a lock? A little morbid I know.

@levineps

#4 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

If this year's game seemed particularly lacking in big stars, this is probably why: I see only two locks.

On the right path (6): Mike Trout, Felix Hernandez, Clayton Kershaw, Andrew McCutchen, Troy Tulowitzki, Giancarlo Stanton.

Ichiro Suzuki HAS to at least in the "building strong cases" list, if not a lock. Best pure contact hitter of this generation. Rose's hit record would be in jeopardy had Ichiro started playing in the majors at 22. 

Albert Pujols has to be on that list too. Don't care what he does from here on out. In his prime, was there a more feared hitter in baseball? No. 

Carlos Beltran should be somewhere on the list. Very solid career.

Never really thought of him as one, but Pappelbon has some pretty good stats. Definitely will get consideration. Kimbrel as well.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#5 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Wainwright gets some leeway because of his injuries. When healthy, very few have been better than him. CC Sabathia had a chance, but that might be gone. He's the career leader in FIP among those who are qualified. David Ortiz is a very interesting case... I'd lean more towards yes because someone has to be the first primary DH to be in the HOF (I wouldn't call Molitor a primary DH). 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Ichiro Suzuki HAS to at least in the "building strong cases" list, if not a lock. Best pure contact hitter of this generation. Rose's hit record would be in jeopardy had Ichiro started playing in the majors at 22. 

Albert Pujols has to be on that list too. Don't care what he does from here on out. In his prime, was there a more feared hitter in baseball? No. 

Carlos Beltran should be somewhere on the list. Very solid career.

Never really thought of him as one, but Pappelbon has some pretty good stats. Definitely will get consideration. Kimbrel as well.

Just to clarify, the list was just made up of players selected to the All-Star Game this year. That's why none of those players you listed made the list.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=