#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Honestly, I don't really watch the ESPY's and probably won't this year. But there's no baseball until Friday, and I'm bored. Deal with it.

Here are some of my picks for the following categories:

Best Male Athlete: MCab, Peyton, Floyd Mayweather, Kevin Durant

Best Moment: Mo's final game, Durant's MVP Speech, USA beating Ghana

Best Game: Iron Bowl (Auburn beating Bama), Colts and Chiefs WC Game, Kings/Rangers SC Game 5

Best MLB Player: Scherzer, MCab, Crush Davis (LOL), Trout, Kershaw

Best Male College Athlete: Jameis Winston (easily), Doug McDermott, Johnny Gaudreau, David Taylor, Lyle Thompson

Best Play: Davis FG Return (Iron Bowl), 75 foot putt for Creamer, Lizard buzzer beater, Auburn Hail Mary vs. Georgia

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Biggest Stadium:  Rose Bowl

Tallest Athlete:  Manute Bol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

How is Winston "easily" the best college athlete over Dougie McBuckets?

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

'Cause he plays quarterback and won the championship. This is ESPN we're talking about.

@DJ_McCann

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'm hoping for a Lyle Thompson upset.

@bopper33

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

BTW, I'm just now realizing how much it sucks that there is no baseball on Thursday, either. 

@bopper33

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

'Cause he plays quarterback and won the championship. This is ESPN we're talking about.

Fair enough...he certainly would not be my pick. McDermott was a consensus first team AA three times, led the nation in scoring this past year, and was the fifth highest scorer in NCAA history. His post-season success is nothing to be proud of, but I think that's more do to the fact that he played for Creighton instead of a team like UNC or Duke.

If it's about the stats (and I know it's apples to oranges), it's Doug.

#8 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Here's a category they can add after I watched Sunday Night Baseball and part of the ASG.  More annoying color man Jon Kruk or Harold Reynolds?

• Chris B likes this

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Fair enough...he certainly would not be my pick. McDermott was a consensus first team AA three times, led the nation in scoring this past year, and was the fifth highest scorer in NCAA history. His post-season success is nothing to be proud of, but I think that's more do to the fact that he played for Creighton instead of a team like UNC or Duke.

If it's about the stats (and I know it's apples to oranges), it's Doug.

Winston also is the closer on the FSU baseball team, which may help his cause slightly.  If the ESPY's only look at 2013-2014 then Winston I think is the pick.  McDermott's resume is more a "lifetime achievement" sort of thing.

Either way, likely won't watch this -- I don't think I ever have.

@bopper33

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

Winston also is the closer on the FSU baseball team, which may help his cause slightly.  If the ESPY's only look at 2013-2014 then Winston I think is the pick.  McDermott's resume is more a "lifetime achievement" sort of thing.

Either way, likely won't watch this -- I don't think I ever have.

Is he really? I thought that was a joke when he was chilling in the FSU dugout. Shows how much I know..

Like you, I won't either. I'll either catch up on some tv shows over the next few days or watch movies.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Here's a category they can add after I watched Sunday Night Baseball and part of the ASG.  More annoying color man Jon Kruk or Harold Reynolds?

No matter who wins, everybody loses!

• DuffMan likes this
@DJ_McCann

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Because of what he did as a freshman and being a two sport stud. He isn't only the closer for FSU baseball, he was also a second team pre season all American for baseball. In addition to a Championship and Heisman trophy. It's a slam dunk for Winston. Not even close, IMO. And post season success definitely has a lot to do with it.

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Because of what he did as a freshman and being a two sport stud. He isn't only the closer for FSU baseball, he was also a second team pre season all American for baseball. In addition to a Championship and Heisman trophy. It's a slam dunk for Winston. Not even close, IMO. And post season success definitely has a lot to do with it.

You can argue Winston, but to say it's easily a slam dunk over McDermott is a little absurd. McDermott just finished one of the best college basketball careers in the last decade.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

The funniest thing about the ESPYs was when they used to do "Best Team" in each sport.  Do they still do that?

Hmmmm, what was the best team in the NFL last year?  Could it be, oh I don't know, Seattle?

@bopper33

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

You can argue Winston, but to say it's easily a slam dunk over McDermott is a little absurd. McDermott just finished one of the best college basketball careers in the last decade.

I think you're letting your conference bias get in the way here. It's absurd to even make a case for McDermott when Winston just had as dominant a freshman campaign as any player the NCAA has ever seen. And I like McDermott, but your simply barking up the wrong tree here.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

The funniest thing about the ESPYs was when they used to do "Best Team" in each sport.  Do they still do that?

Hmmmm, what was the best team in the NFL last year?  Could it be, oh I don't know, Seattle?

I don't think they've ever done "best team" by sport, it's always been a best team overall. 

@levineps

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

I think you're letting your conference bias get in the way here. It's absurd to even make a case for McDermott when Winston just had as dominant a freshman campaign as any player the NCAA has ever seen. And I like McDermott, but your simply barking up the wrong tree here.

Ha! I knew you would bring up conference bias.

Perhaps I am looking at this throughout Doug's full career while at Creighton. Because it's goddamn impressive: http://dataomaha.com...ermott/scoring/

I still think he has a fairly good shot at winning tonight. I honestly have no idea how the ESPYs are awarded (fan vote, writer vote??). If it's fan vote, he's got a good shot because no one hates Doug...something that can't be said about Winston.

#18 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

You can only look at McDermott's senior year man. l know he was a great college player, but Winston fairly clearly had the better "year" both by completely dominating the college football landscape as a freshman with his baseball stuff as a supplemental boost.

The fact that McDermott's team bowed out fairly early in the NCAA Tournament hurts as well.  Did Creighton even win the Big East tourney?

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

You can only look at McDermott's senior year man. l know he was a great college player, but Winston fairly clearly had the better "year" both by completely dominating the college football landscape as a freshman with his baseball stuff as a supplemental boost.

The fact that McDermott's team bowed out fairly early in the NCAA Tournament hurts as well.  Did Creighton even win the Big East tourney?

Lost in the final to Providence.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I love it we're having an ESPY's debate!

I'll probably watch some of it. It's not exactly appointment TV, but there's not a whole lot going on without any MLB baseball (yes I know there's MLS, WNBA, minor league baseball, etc). It's a fine filler event.

They shouldn't even have the best by sport stuff, that's already been decided and even if you disagree, it's been rehashed a million times. So if Mike Trout wins best baseball player, is the ESPYs more legitimate?

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=