171 replies to this topic

#161 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

I may roll the dice and do Hotel Tonight.  Seems like a decent app and McNulty recommends it

However, I do have a lot of trepidation about going on a flight without having a place to stay in advance.

It'll all work out fine... just say "eff it" and have an adventure....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#162 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

We had a great time and the couple that we went with suggested making an annual trip to The Big Easy. Sounds good to me! Definitely one of my favorite cities.

Highlights:

Food:

Willie Mae's

Shaya

Parkway Bakery and Tavern

Red Fish Grill

Cafe Du Monde

Music:

Preservation Hall

Bullet's 

Frenchmen St (including street performers)

Other:

Urban South Brewery

The zoo

Just walking around 

We also did a plantation tour, but had mixed feelings about it.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#163 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

Got back two days ago.  It really is a tremendous town.  I was immediately blown away by just how lively everything was.

Arrived last Thursday, went to a place called Three Muses on Frenchmen street for a late dinner and music.  The gumbo was excellent.  We (8 dudes) just shared countless appetizers.  Went out after and caught live music wherever we could find it, stumbled up and down Bourbon, and ended up at that place Lafittes for late night.  Rumor has it there is a video of me singing Billy Joel with the live piano player. 

Friday I went down to Cafe du Monde, did the beignet/coffee thing and then walked around the Quarter.  By noon it was time to drink so I happened upon a spot called Johnny White's Corner Pub that had basketball on (it was conference tourney weekend) and cheap beer specials.  The bartender was nice and got me drunk for about $20.  Not bad.

That night went to the Wizards/Pelicans game (laugh all you want, we snapped their win streak!) and had dinner at a place called Galliers.  It was just OK, prolly the worst meal I had all weekend.  That night, went to a place called Fritzel's for live jazz -- the band was awesome and the bar was interesting -- a German style bar in the French Quarter.  Eventually met some friends over on Frenchmen for more live music -- this band here was less jazz, more blues, but still cool, the place was called Bamboulas.  Afterwards, drunkenly went to Dat Dog.

Saturday, work up extremely hungover, cured that by going for lunch at Bourbon House at the far end of Bourbon Street.  Had shrimp with a side of crawfish -- it was so so so so so fucking good.  After that took the street car all the way up to City Park, walked around, and stopped at Morning Call and had beignets and a few irish coffees.  I like the beignets here better and the irish coffees were awesome.  A wedding reception/parade (there are ALWAYS parades down there) was going on and that was fun to watch.  Made our way back to Frenchmen, had dinner at Snug Harbor, more gumbo (I had gumbo everywhere, it was always delicious) and more live music at 30/90 on Frenchmen.  Turned into a real real late night.  Didn't get to bed till 6 am.

Sunday, all my other friends left (I stayed till Monday) so I had a few drinks at my hotel bar to get the blood flowing, headed over to the Garden District, walked around (had hoped to see John Goodman lol).  It was nice, the houses are amazing, really remind you of the old south.  Made my way back to the Quarter, walked around some more, stopped into a few places for drinks and just relaxed by some park (forget the name) that is next to St. Louis Cathedral. Made my way back to the hotel in time to watch the NCAA selection show.  Got a good night's rest (for the first time all weekend) and flew home early Monday.

Overall, it was an unreal trip and an awesome city.  I don't know if it's passed New York, Chicago or San Francisco for me, but it's definitely in the top 5 and I can't wait to go back.

• BSLChrisStoner, The Epic, mweb08 and 4 others like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#164 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,453 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:41 AM

NOLA is a top 5 world city for me. Never a bad time there. Sounds like you did it right.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#165 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Sounds fantastic.  Would love to get back to New Orleans sometime soon myself.

#166 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

NOLA is even better when you're drunk only half the time...   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#167 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

A major difference to me between New Orleans and cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, DC, etc is that in those cities, I feel more like a tourist as I'm checking out a fair amount of tourist attractions, while in New Orleans, I'm doing that to a degree, but I'm mostly just having fun as well as soaking in the culture and architecture. 

• The Epic, Pedro Cerrano and RShack like this

#168 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

A major difference to me between New Orleans and cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, DC, etc is that in those cities, I feel more like a tourist as I'm checking out a fair amount of tourist attractions, while in New Orleans, I'm doing that to a degree, but I'm mostly just having fun as well as soaking in the culture and architecture. 

The interesting parts are human scale... not mega-something....

#169 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

I feel that way too, which is why it's my favorite place to go. 

You can be a tourist if you -want-, but you feel less obligated to do it. Just -being- there and having a blast seems like more than enough. I can go and not feel like I missed out on seeing X or doing Y. 

#170 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,453 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

I feel that way too, which is why it's my favorite place to go. 

You can be a tourist if you -want-, but you feel less obligated to do it. Just -being- there and having a blast seems like more than enough. I can go and not feel like I missed out on seeing X or doing Y. 

This is the reason I love cities and places where there isn't a bunch of stuff to check off a list...why I liked Lyon more than Paris or Porto more than Lisbon and all of Croatia. Just let me soak in a city by just being there and exploring it on my own.

Although, I do have to say, did and saw a bunch of stuff in Amsterdam and never once felt like a tourist crossing off stuff.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#171 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Although, I do have to say, did and saw a bunch of stuff in Amsterdam and never once felt like a tourist crossing off stuff.

Amsterdam is on my list. Never heard a bad thing about it from friends that visited. 

#172 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

I guess I don't feel like a tourist in NYC anymore because I've gone there so much.  As for Chicago I don't really do a lot of touristy things when I go there.  SF I can def relate to this post.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=