#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

Someone mentioned Commanders Palace. Great food, but pricy and they told me I needed a jacket for dinner.

When i went I didn't wear a jacket and they still let me in. It is pricey though.

@levineps

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Someone mentioned Commanders Palace. Great food, but pricy and they told me I needed a jacket for dinner.

When i went I didn't wear a jacket and they still let me in. It is pricey though.

It was about a year ago. Maybe they changed policy.
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

It was about a year ago. Maybe they changed policy.

I was there March 2012. My guess is they prefer you wearing one.

@levineps

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

Oh damn it. I forgot Port Of Call. Burgers, baked potatoes and Monsoons. A must.

I'm staying very close to POC when I'll be there in November. I've heard mixed reviews. I'll probably give it a try though.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm staying very close to POC when I'll be there in November. I've heard mixed reviews. I'll probably give it a try though.

Its one of my favorite places of all time.  I think its above reproach, so mixed reviews is very surprising for me.  You won't be sorry.  Also Esplanade is one of the prettiest streets.

@fuzydunlop

#26 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Ha. She was outside smoking but I believe she saw walking back in. It wasn't an issue. She had a stripper pull her boob out in Jacksonvilles gold club after I got recalled into work to find some dudes who's boat capsized. Oh, weber, go to the French market and cafe du monde. It's touristy but worth the headache. And soak in the architecture. It's incredible. My favorite city by far.

So, not about New Orleans but I was just at the Gold Club last Monday. Always a nice way to start the week.

• McNulty likes this

@AdamWolff

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

A few random thoughts:

Definitely do the Garden District. And when you're there, eat at Commander's Palace. The place is an institution and yeah it's expensive and you may need a jacket but who cares? You never know if you'll make it back to NOLA so why not just go and experience it? Especially if it is your splurge dinner?

GW Fins is great. My wife and I went there in 2007 when I think it was relatively new. It's only gotten better since then according to reviews.

Definitely do Lafittes.

http://www.lafittesb...m/Homepage.html

I think Pat O'Briens is overrated. The Hurricanes are too syrupy for my taste. I'd much rather have a Sazerac.

We did a bayou tour, it was pretty cool, you throw marshmallows to gators. Good times.

Go to Cafe du Monde after a night of drinking, at like 2-3 AM, it'll be near empty.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

http://www.gonola.co...s-gin-fizz.html

@fuzydunlop

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

http://www.buzzfeed....nd-only-in-nola

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

http://www.buzzfeed....nd-only-in-nola

This reminds me, I forgot to recommend Elizabeth's from earlier.

@levineps

#31 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Some of these places are walking distance from the quarter, others you would need a car/taxi.

Elizabeths is a good one for breakfast. Heading uptown I also recommend Surreys or GG's for breakfast/brunch.

Personally I'd try and spend pretty little time on bourbon street. Syrupy drinks and drunk tourists.

The only reason I think Port of Call might have mixed reviews is that its not a sterile place, but I'm down with dingy.

Cochon or Cochon butcher I would say you absolutely have to eat at.

Maurepas foods is good eating.

Commanders isn't too pricey if you go for lunch and get their 25 cent martinis and one of the three course express options. Turtle soup is essential. To clarify Jackets are preferred but not essential. Closed toed shoes and a collared shirt are essential.

Jacques-Imos way uptown is really good. Theres the maple leaf bar near there for music. Other music places would be Tipitinas and the stuff on Frenchmen street. DBA has the best beer selection on Frenchmen. You could also take the free ferry to Algiers and check out Old Point Bar for some music one night.

Another great beer place is Avenue Pub on St. Charles. Bulldog on Magazine also has a great beer selection and you can sit outside by a courtyard fountain and do some people watching

If you want some good cocktails and spirits, Oxalis is a nice place. Got a real tasty rattlesnake and some fine bourbon when I went there with Mashed Potatoes in April.

For BBQ- the Joint.

Bayona is a Susan Spicer place that I've really enjoyed for food.

If you want to do the authentic Vietnamese, go to Pho Tau Bey on the west bank. Its in a strip mall so you know its good.

Po Boys I would recommend Guys or Mahoneys. Mothers is a little overrated IMO.

Definitely go through the Garden district at some point. Unfortunately the street car line is mostly shut down on St. Charles for construction, otherwise thats a fun ride for an out of towner to get from point A to B.

Baccanal is a place where you can get some wine and food and sit outside for music.

Right by the corner of Jackson and Magazine there are two other places I frequent- Steins Deli makes fantastic sandwiches and next door is a place called District that is heavenly donuts and sliders.

I'm probably forgetting a dozen other really good places to eat or drink. There are so many options in this city that you shouldn't worry about missing out on any one particular place. Check reviews and follow your gut.

I've gone on a few swamp tours and its nice to get out of the city and see the lands.

I know you're an animal guy. The aquarium is no Baltimore or Atlanta aquarium, but there are some cool things. Audobon Zoo has some good animals, Gorillas would be the highlight to me.

You'll have a blast whatever you decide to do.
  • mweb08 likes this

#32 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

I second the Jacques-Imos recommendation.

@fuzydunlop

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm here. Staying at the Astor on Canal and Bourbon.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

At least LBJ has made a decision so you don't have to sit in the hotel room all day. Seriously though, have a good time!

@levineps

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Literally exactly where I stayed a few days ago. Have fun.
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

At least LBJ has made a decision so you don't have to sit in the hotel room all day. Seriously though, have a good time!

Yet another reason to dislike LeBron.

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

About to go to Red Fish Grill.

#38 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

Get the oysters and the bread pudding (I think)

@fuzydunlop

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

Get the oysters and the bread pudding (I think)

Had oysters and the bread pudding along with the bbq blue crab claws, and the yellow fin tuna. Fantastic! It's right next to our hotel so we'll be back for the bbq oysters.
  • McNulty likes this

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

We're at the airport now. Fantastic trip! Loved the jazz, food, and architecture. Also had a great time visiting breweries, doing the swamp tour, and of course visiting the zoological facilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=