• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

@BowieBaysox Congrats to Baysox Christian Walker, Dariel Alvarez, Tim Berry, Oliver Drake on their E.L. All-Star game selections

DOB: 1/13/87

6'4

215lbs

Throws: R

2014 Season: 2-1, 2.67 era, 32 games, 21 saves, 33.2 ip, 27 hits, 1 hr, 12 bb's, 44 k's

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

@BowieBaysox Congrats to Baysox Christian Walker, Dariel Alvarez, Tim Berry, Oliver Drake on their E.L. All-Star game selections

DOB: 1/13/87

6'4

215lbs

Throws: R

2014 Season: 2-1, 2.67 era, 32 games, 21 saves, 33.2 ip, 27 hits, 1 hr, 12 bb's, 44 k's

Isn't he a little old to still be AA, just roster filler at this point?

@levineps

#3 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hurt in 2012 and 2013. Potential to be a reliever at this point.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

At 27, it's hard to be 'excited' about him.. but with his success as a reliever this year, I think he is again interesting.

With most prospect lists as a starter, he was typically in the high teens, low 20's in the O's system.  He's probably gotten back to that point.

#5 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

What's up with Oliver Drake? I know that it's early in the season but he's pitched 6 innings, faced 22 batters, has given up zero runs, 2 hits, 1 walk and has 12 strikeouts. He's killing lefties (5 batters faced, 3 strikeouts, 1 walk and 1 ground out) and righties (17 batters faced, 9 strikeouts, 1 walk, 2 hits).

If he keeps this up then he's going to be ready for a chance in the bigs soon. What else do you want him to do?

http://minorleaguece...cher&split=2015

• BSLChrisStoner and Chris B like this

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

What's up with Oliver Drake? I know that it's early in the season but he's pitched 6 innings, faced 22 batters, has given up zero runs, 2 hits, 1 walk and has 12 strikeouts. He's killing lefties (5 batters faced, 3 strikeouts, 1 walk and 1 ground out) and righties (17 batters faced, 9 strikeouts, 1 walk, 2 hits).

If he keeps this up then he's going to be ready for a chance in the bigs soon. What else do you want him to do?

http://minorleaguece...cher&split=2015

Another reason you don't pay 8ishM to Hunter and Matusz.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#7 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Another reason you don't pay 8ishM to Hunter and Matusz.

You're going to be so upset next year when the Orioles tender Matusz a contract, resign O'Day (3 and $18M) and end up spending some $18 million on a bullpen with four players making the minimum.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

And this would be the point I was making by putting him in my top 10.

• Matt_P likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

Be 6 years younger?

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

Be 6 years younger?

Doesn't matter how old he is if you are looking for results. If you are worried about him being the future of the team you could be barking up the wrong tree, but if you are looking for a cheap lefty that can do the job (hopefully) and let you allocate money to the SP or OF, without having to give up anything to obtain them, it's an option.

@JeremyMStrain

#11 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

And this would be the point I was making by putting him in my top 10.

That was a good call.

I thought Drake was a righty? Even at 29, he still wouldn't hit free agency until 35. That's reasonable for a reliever.

#12 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

Be 6 years younger?

That would be nice but at some point he needs a chance regardless.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

Doesn't matter how old he is if you are looking for results. If you are worried about him being the future of the team you could be barking up the wrong tree, but if you are looking for a cheap lefty that can do the job (hopefully) and let you allocate money to the SP or OF, without having to give up anything to obtain them, it's an option.

It absolutely matters how old you are if you are looking at minor league numbers and wondering how they'll translate to the majors.

Him dominating a bunch of kids 5-years younger than him at AA the last few years is meaningless.  Similar to how Alvarez, and Urrutia, and going all the way back to Montanez, dominating AA at older ages doesn't mean much.

AAA is a bit different, but he's been there for 6 innings.  If he has a really good month or two, then I'd consider him a candidate for the bullpen if we have a need.  But he's really not any different than a guy like Steve Johnson right now.  And nothing he can do in the minors will force his way into the MLB bullpen, he only gets a shot if something opens up due to injury or ineffectiveness.

#14 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

AAA is a bit different, but he's been there for 6 innings.  If he has a really good month or two, then I'd consider him a candidate for the bullpen if we have a need.  But he's really not any different than a guy like Steve Johnson right now.  And nothing he can do in the minors will force his way into the MLB bullpen, he only gets a shot if something opens up due to injury or ineffectiveness.

He's been there for seven innings. I used data from minor league central because it gives split information and it only has six of the seven innings in its database. Gave up 2 hits and a run in that last inning while picking up 2 strikeouts.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

That was a good call.

I thought Drake was a righty? Even at 29, he still wouldn't hit free agency until 35. That's reasonable for a reliever.

There were a bunch of guys as RP I'd lump together talent wise, I gave him the nod cause of the LH thing, it's easier for them to pitch in the ML (LOOGY options).

@JeremyMStrain

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

There were a bunch of guys as RP I'd lump together talent wise, I gave him the nod cause of the LH thing, it's easier for them to pitch in the ML (LOOGY options).

Unless he's made some really remarkable changes, Drake is a righty.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

It absolutely matters how old you are if you are looking at minor league numbers and wondering how they'll translate to the majors.

Him dominating a bunch of kids 5-years younger than him at AA the last few years is meaningless.  Similar to how Alvarez, and Urrutia, and going all the way back to Montanez, dominating AA at older ages doesn't mean much.

Maybe if you are ignoring the almost 2 years lost because of the injury and recovery from it. If you are just talking about a cheap piece for the pen, it doesn't really matter in the big scheme. The only question is, do you think he can get ML out. Same for SJ, I think they are both ML pen pieces on another team, we just generally have one of the deepest pens in all of baseball.

The point is that we are spending entirely too much money on the BP, and there are things we could do to save money, and not have to shop in the clearance bin all the time for other parts.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

Unless he's made some really remarkable changes, Drake is a righty.

Wow, I'm a moron today. I was thinking of Berry.

@JeremyMStrain

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

Maybe if you are ignoring the almost 2 years lost because of the injury and recovery from it. If you are just talking about a cheap piece for the pen, it doesn't really matter in the big scheme. The only question is, do you think he can get ML out. Same for SJ, I think they are both ML pen pieces on another team, we just generally have one of the deepest pens in all of baseball.

The point is that we are spending entirely too much money on the BP, and there are things we could do to save money, and not have to shop in the clearance bin all the time for other parts.

Age is a MAJOR factor in evaluating minor league performance.  You can't gloss it over.  A 28 year-old pitching well in the minors is not nearly as impressive or as easy to project forward to the majors as a 24 y/o or 22 y/o or 20 y/o doing so.  It's somewhat less of a factor at AAA because there are a lot of older AAAA type guys bouncing around, but it's still a big deal.  But his last two seasons at AA are utterly meaningless in terms of impressing via stats.  It's no different than Urrutia raking at AA as an older guy.

#20 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

I think they are both ML pen pieces on another team, we just generally have one of the deepest pens in all of baseball.

I was looking at this earlier today. I figure that we have 12 pitchers in AA and AAA that should be ready to be bullpen pieces by 2016 or at least awfully close (Davies, Wright, Wilson, McFarland, Jones, Drake, Johnson, Kline, Bridwell, Berry, Givens and Escat). That's not counting Garcia who should probably also be on that list and it also excludes Gamboa who I think will never be successful.

I feel that keeping two of Davies, Wright and Wilson in the minors as starters as depth as well as Kline to see whether he develops is a good idea. I question whether Bridwell will be ready by then as he's the furthest away and I also think that keeping Givens and Berry in the minors as depth wouldn't be terrible. I also question whether McFarland, Jones and Escat are good enough. But realistically that means we need to graduate at least Johnson (or let him go elsewhere), Drake and one or two of the three guys listed above.

It would be awfully easy to have a bullpen made up of Britton, Brach, Davies, Drake, Johnson, McFarland and Wright next year.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=