• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

3 scoreless innings for Brach today... just huge.

Going into today:

Season: 3-0, 3.26 era, 30.1 ip, 25 hits, 2 hr, 13 bb's, 27 k's, .685 OPS against

LHB: 12 for 37, .324 baa, 1.004 OPS

RHB: 12 for 62, .194 baa, .491 OPS

#2 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,806 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

Gotta dig it!
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Pretty cool outing the other night vs. the Angels... HS coach on hand.... fastball had a life as he retired Trout, Pujols, and Hamilton.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

* Brad Brach threw two more perfect innings Monday, and he now has allowed just one hit in his last seven innings. He has a 1.13 ERA (three runs in 24 innings) in his last 14 games.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Camden Depot: What Do the Orioles Have in Brad Brach?

http://camdendepot.b...brad-brach.html

#6 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

Nice article.  

Sounds like the O's P-coaches helped him.  I imagine the FO hoped that would happen before they got him, but I would love to know how detailed their scouting-based prescription for helping him was.

One tiny quibble:  "A skilled bullpen shortens games, which is particularly important for teams that don't have starters who last into the later innings." really doesn't apply... simply because nobody has a rotation that routinely makes it into the later innings.  The more apt commentary would be to acknowledge the current reality that starters as a group just don't go deep into games anymore.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#7 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

Nice article.  

Sounds like the O's P-coaches helped him.  I imagine the FO hoped that would happen before they got him, but I would love to know how detailed their scouting-based prescription for helping him was.

One tiny quibble:  "A skilled bullpen shortens games, which is particularly important for teams that don't have starters who last into the later innings." really doesn't apply... simply because nobody has a rotation that routinely makes it into the later innings.  The more apt commentary would be to acknowledge the current reality that starters as a group just don't go deep into games anymore.

That's nothing new. 40 years ago, starters got about an out and half more per start than they do today. That's it.

http://www.vivaelbir...te-in-one-graph

#8 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

That's nothing new. 40 years ago, starters got about an out and half more per start than they do today. That's it.

http://www.vivaelbir...te-in-one-graph

Not all P-staffs were the same... some did go deep very routinely, but now none of them do... one year, the O's starters had 71 CG's... and 70 of those were by 4 guys (which is exactly what Bamberger predicted in ST)... you can't pretend that placed the same strain on BP's as what *always* happens now...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#9 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

That was 1971. Your point is true still today that some rotations pitch more innings than others. My point is that it's not a new reality. Starting pitcher haven't averaged 7 innings per start since 1974.

#10 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

Also, bullpens aren't being taxed unless you completely ignore specialization and the 12 and 13 men bullpens. Bullpens as a whole may be pitching more innings, but individual relievers are pitching fewer innings than at any time in history.

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

That was 1971. Your point is true still today that some rotations pitch more innings than others. My point is that it's not a new reality. Starting pitcher haven't averaged 7 innings per start since 1974.

Well, I bet we can agree that the article saying that BP's are especially important to rotations that don't go deep kinda misses the reality of modern times, since none of the rotations go deep...

#12 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

Well, I bet we can agree that the article saying that BP's are especially important to rotations that don't go deep kinda misses the reality of modern times, since none of the rotations go deep...

Yep.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

Carroll County Times: Out of Options, Brach set himself up nicely with strong 2014
http://www.carrollco...0,6018805.story

Out of options, Orioles' Brad Brach set himself up nicely with strong 2014 - See more at: http://www.carrollco...h.n3xvawHo.dpuf

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:28 AM

Used twice in the opening series in Tampa Bay, Brach allowed runs in both outings.

In our recent Q&A with other local blogs, lots of enthusiasm for Brach... even mention of him possibly replacing Britton as the closer by year end.

I don't see that, but do think he is a swing arm for the pen as a whole. If he matches what he did in '14, you feel that much better about the depth.

#15 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

He's a useful reliever but he's not on the "A" team.    Not strong against LH hitters.   Unfortunately, he got touched by two RH hitters last night.

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

He's a useful reliever but he's not on the "A" team.    Not strong against LH hitters.   Unfortunately, he got touched by two RH hitters last night.

This. There's a difference between RP and shut down RP. I think people expect every guy to be a shut down guy, but that's just not how it works. That's not to say they aren't parts you need, they just are what they are and will be up and down.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

Another quality year for BB...

4-2, 2.60 era, 42 games, 57.1 ip, 41 hits, 5 hr's, 23 bb's, 66 k's

Lefties have a .471 OPS against him in 106 ab's...

.611 OPS for hitters overall...

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

MASN: Brach's contributions

http://www.masnsport...tributions.html

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

If they resign O'Day, the bullpen next year could be pretty damn ridiculous with Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens, and Wright.  McFarland as a combo long-man / LOOGY and should be all set.  I'd go with a 6-man pen and have an extra position player which we'll likely need since we probably have to platoon a couple spots to fill them cheaply.  Maybe you have to go to 7 once Bundy is healthy, but he's likely a non-factor until well into the season.

Of course that nice RHP depth means you don't have to resign O'Day, but he's the one guy I actually expect them to bring back.

#20 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 739 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

If they resign O'Day, the bullpen next year could be pretty damn ridiculous with Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens, and Wright.  McFarland as a combo long-man / LOOGY and should be all set.  I'd go with a 6-man pen and have an extra position player which we'll likely need since we probably have to platoon a couple spots to fill them cheaply.  Maybe you have to go to 7 once Bundy is healthy, but he's likely a non-factor until well into the season.

Of course that nice RHP depth means you don't have to resign O'Day, but he's the one guy I actually expect them to bring back.

I fully expect to see O'Day in DC next year.

As for your BP, replace McFadden with just about anyone and I'd agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=