• Please log in to reply
736 replies to this topic

#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

In my family league, I have a choice of pick 7, 10, or 11. Snake order.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards 11 but I haven't really done any FF research yet.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'd go #7.  Can probably get one of the top 5 RBs since Peyton and Megatron likely go before your spot.  And if not, maybe you can get Peyton or Megatron.  Also, I think the guys at the back end of the 2nd round look every bit as attractive as the guys at the front end, so it's not a disadvantage to be drafting 6th in the 2nd instead of 2nd or 3rd.

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

I'd go #7.  Can probably get one of the top 5 RBs since Peyton and Megatron likely go before your spot.  And if not, maybe you can get Peyton or Megatron.  Also, I think the guys at the back end of the 2nd round look every bit as attractive as the guys at the front end, so it's not a disadvantage to be drafting 6th in the 2nd instead of 2nd or 3rd.

Good points. Why I'm "struggling" with which to choose is because it's basically me and 3-4 other good fantasy players and then some aunts/uncles/grandfather who know next to nothing. I picked 1st last year and got AJ Green and BMarsh in rounds 2/3 in a PPR league. I was laughing the whole way through.

#24 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Take the highest pick.  Your league awards 6 points per passing TD so maybe you will luck into Manning.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#25 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Take the highest pick.  Your league awards 6 points per passing TD so maybe you will luck into Manning.

Different league, pretty sure this one you won't make fun of me for. :D

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

CBS Sports: Top 200

http://fantasynews.c...s/top200/yearly

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

CBS Sports: 3rd year WR's

http://fantasynews.c...-year-receivers

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

What do you guys think is the best Fantasy Football draft resource? There are so many publications out there these days, it's hard to know which one's are really good, and which one's suck.

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

What do you guys think is the best Fantasy Football draft resource? There are so many publications out there these days, it's hard to know which one's are really good, and which one's suck.

My brain.

Nah, seriously though, I don't mind using bits and pieces of notes, in whatever FFB program, but generally I just read PFT, and ESPN a lot more often this time of year, and make my own decisions. Watching more ESPN news and whatnot helps some too, but I feel like 3/4  of the news and projections out there are just educated guesses anyway, so I'd rather trust my own than listen to the ones that the masses are in on.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#30 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

I just buy a general football magazine just to read other people's thoughts or opinions. They also have some free agency or injury news that I may have missed. It's really just a good information dump.

But like Jeremy said, it's mostly just me. I compile my own rankings for each position. Some guys I just hate and never pick (ie Jon Stewart) so that's why I like my own list.
  • You Play to Win the Game and JeremyStrain like this

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

That's what I've done the past 10 years... and while I generally am middle of the pack/make the playoffs most years, I still never win. Doing a big money league this year and want to actually do a better job preparing. Thanks for the responses.

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I just buy a general football magazine just to read other people's thoughts or opinions. They also have some free agency or injury news that I may have missed. It's really just a good information dump.

But like Jeremy said, it's mostly just me. I compile my own rankings for each position. Some guys I just hate and never pick (ie Jon Stewart) so that's why I like my own list.

Yeah that's a really good point, some guys will always be ranked, but you just have some issue with them. Stewart is a great example, my boy is a Panthers fan, and he always wants to take Stewart or Williams, or both, but it seems like he either wastes a roster spot owning both, or owns the wrong one and suffers every year. I never touch either.

• Chris B likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

That's what I've done the past 10 years... and while I generally am middle of the pack/make the playoffs most years, I still never win. Doing a big money league this year and want to actually do a better job preparing. Thanks for the responses.

Best advice is know your league. If it's standard or PPR, 10 or 12 team, keeper or not. Know the owners and who they root for, even if you are good and don't have the home team bias, sooner or later it will show its head, even if it's only a drafting a guy a round early thing, it will drift in at some point during the draft.

Also pay attention to coaching changes. The biggest jump in fantasy is usually when new schemes are introduced, it's impossible to predict what the team will produce in a new one, and a team that puts up monster passing numbers in one scheme might go totally run based the next year. A team with a run first OL, might allow a ton of sacks and kill the passing game. A new head coach will be in a hurry to establish their personality in the team, offense or defense, so pay attention to what they liked to do as a coordinator.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

All good points. I think knowing who your fellow owners are is key. I know what managers never trade, what guys I should never trade with and what guys need some prodding. I know who their favorite players are and who they're looking to get rid of. It may be a bad example because I've known these guys since freshmen year of high school, a few earlier, but it really shows in the league. I'm known as one of the trade sharks in my league, having one two of four championships based solely on "trade rapes" (if anyone is a fan of "The League"). A lot of that is just talking up a good game by overselling your guys and underrating theirs.

#35 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

It's also just a little bit of luck. Depending on if you use waivers or free agency (in our league this year we're trying waivers), a season can be made or broken by adding a guy like a Victor Cruz (2-3 back), Zac Stacy or Eddie Lacy.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

It's also just a little bit of luck. Depending on if you use waivers or free agency (in our league this year we're trying waivers), a season can be made or broken by adding a guy like a Victor Cruz (2-3 back), Zac Stacy or Eddie Lacy.

Eddie Lacy was drafted in every league last year (or should've been), but your point is a good one.  There are a couple huge FA pickups every year that play major roles.

#37 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Eddie Lacy was drafted in every league last year (or should've been), but your point is a good one.  There are a couple huge FA pickups every year that play major roles.

Yeah, you're right, now that I look back our draft...I was just trying to think about those types of players. There's always around 5 key free agent pick-ups every year.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

I feel like I do too much of what you guys are saying... avoid Steelers... and Ravens for that matter. Deviate too much from the rankings, etc. The other thing is that I tend to quickly address last year's kryptonite early in the draft.

I think I could benefit greatly by reading up on some draft strategy and sticking to the rankings, generally speaking (obviously the cases you guys brought up are very true).

#39 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Audible.com's The Football Guys is a great free podcast and email service.

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

So I have the 4th pick in my 12 team league. Standard snake order.

A guy wants to trade his 1st rounder (5th pick) and his 5th rounder for my 2nd and 3rd. I know draft pick trades are relatively rare but I'm considering it. QBs get 6 points per TD so by the time I could get a QB in rounds 2 or 3, the elite guys are gone. If I make the trade, I can get someone like Forte/RB and Manning back-to-back.

Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=