Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

http://entoriole.blo... ... avery.html
I like Avery, and think he has a TON of natural ability to play this game. I hope to see some improvements this season. I would very much enjoy him stepping up and taking control of AAA this season at some point.

Prospect Watch: Xavier Avery
In the second addition of Prospect Watch, I want to talk about a raw, but talented Outfielder. Xavier Avery has all the physical gifts to be a very good player at the MLB level, but will he ever be able to fully put it all together?

Avery, 22, was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft out of Cedar Grove HS (Georgia). At 5'11' 180lbs, he has the prototypical body of a speedster. Stealing bases has always been one of Avery's strengths, as he has stolen 117 bases throughout his four year minor league career. He is widely considered one of the fastest people in the Orioles system, and projects to be an above average fielder as well.

Of course, fielding and base running are not the problem when it comes to Avery. His plate discipline and overall approach are the problem. Avery has a career batting line of .265/.324/.355. While not terrible, it is certainly not the line one would expect when you think of a potential "lead-off" or speedster type of player.

Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus had this to say about Avery in his latest prospect ranking:
"Speedster held own in Double-A, but approach is a mess, as is swing."

As you can see, it is widely known that Avery has much work to do before he gains access to the MLB. However, there are some positives to his game. He has never faltered extensively when moved to the next level, and is usually a year behind his competition in terms of age. He has plenty of time to grow still, and it seems that the Orioles are in a position to not rush him with Adam Jones still patrolling CF.
Unfortunately, his career K% of 22.7% in the minors is a telling sign still needs to learn how to stay off the junk and figure out how to hit the off-speed stuff.
Add that with his career BB% of 7.9% and you can get a better picture of why he has trouble getting on base.
After watching him on occasion at AA last season, and from what I saw in the AFL games broadcasted, he still has much work to do in the above areas mentioned.

Overall, Xavier Avery has plenty of upside, but his on-base skills will determine whether he becomes anything more than a 4th OF. He does not have the power(13HR in four seasons), like Adam Jones, to get away with such a high K% and low BB%. Avery will most likely start the 2012 season in AA or AAA, depending on whether the Orioles deem him necessary for the next level. He is certainly a guy to watch in the future though.

*Credit as usual to Fangraphs and Baseball Reference for the statistics*

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Avery was 3 for 6, with his 1st hr last night. Now 5 for 24 to start the year. Has had 10 strikeouts, vs. just 2 walks.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Avery was 2 for 4, with 2 bb's last night. Now 5 bb's in his last 4 games.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

4/20: Avery was 1 for 3, with his 2nd hr. He did have his 1st error.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

4/22: 1 for 2, double, with 3 bb's

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

MLB Dirt: Lesser known prospects off to Hot Starts
http://mlbdirt.com/2...-to-hot-starts/

#7 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Looks like Avery is proving his value thus far.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

4/30: 0 for 3, 1 rbi, 3 bb's

16 bb's, 24 k's on the year. .363 on-base %.

#9 furryburres

furryburres
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Roch just tweeted that Steve Melewski found a tweet from Avery's agent at Excel Sports congratulating him for his call-up to the big leagues.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Melewski confirms. Says he'll be active for tomorrow.

Will need (another!) corresponding move on the 40-man.

#11 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't think I agree with this move. Sure, he's had some hot streaks, but he definitely needs more minor league seasoning. He's only what, 22?

He better be the starting LFer from day one, otherwise we're wasting him sitting on the bench.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

Season numbers at AAA: 35 for 128 (.273), 6 doubles, 2 triples, 5 hr's, 16 rbi, 20 bb's, 29 k's, 8 steals, .842 OPS
.901 OPS vs. RHP, .666 OPS vs. LHP.

Last 10 games: 15 for 39 (.389), 4 doubles, 3 hr's, 9 rbi, 3 bb's, 5 k's, 5 steals, 1.147 OPS

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'm losing track of all of these roster moves.

#14 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Will this finally get Roberts off the 40 man?

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Grats to Avery if true.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

This is a surprise. I hope he gets steady PT.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

I expect him to be overmatched. He isn't even a plus defender, at least in cf.

#18 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

I expect him to be overmatched. He isn't even a plus defender, at least in cf.

He is a plus defender compared to the stack of utility infielders the O's are sending out to man left field on a daily basis.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

He is a plus defender compared to the stack of utility infielders the O's are sending out to man left field on a daily basis.

I agree, he has been hot, and he is an actual OF. His plate discipline looks improved as well. For a couple of weeks, he can probably help.

What is the move though? He figures to replace Hunter or Eveland on the active roster. Who goes on the 40 man? Drake?

#20 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

I agree, he has been hot, and he is an actual OF. His plate discipline looks improved as well. For a couple of weeks, he can probably help.

What is the move though? He figures to replace Hunter or Eveland on the active roster. Who goes on the 40 man? Drake?

I keep hoping for Roberts to the 60 DL.

I would much rather lose Roberts' being able to hang out in the dugout then lose Drake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=