#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

The new Black Keys album is awesome, as expected. They've made 3 very good albums now. They are incredibly underrated, IMO. Now, selling out arena's meas it's probably hard for me to make that claim - but I don't know a lot of people personally who like/know them.

Anywho, that got me to thinking of my top bands that are modern (AKA, have put out an album in the past few years.

For me right now:

1.) Arcade Fire

2.) The Black Keys

3.) Foo Fighters

4.) Arctic Monkeys

5.) Jimmy Eat World

6.) Queens of the Stone Age

7.) Of Monsters & Men

8.) Muse

9.) Death Cab for Cutie (Ben Gibbard/The Postal Service)

10.) Jack White

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

The new Black Keys album is awesome, as expected. They've made 3 very good albums now. They are incredibly underrated, IMO. Now, selling out arena's meas it's probably hard for me to make that claim - but I don't know a lot of people personally who like/know them.

Anywho, that got me to thinking of my top bands that are modern (AKA, have put out an album in the past few years.

For me right now:

1.) Arcade Fire

2.) The Black Keys

3.) Foo Fighters

4.) Arctic Monkeys

5.) Jimmy Eat World

6.) Queens of the Stone Age

7.) Of Monsters & Men

8.) Muse

9.) Death Cab for Cutie (Ben Gibbard/The Postal Service)

10.) Manchester Orchestra

I dunno man, I think TBK are the probably the biggest rock band out there today. I am sure there are people who've never heard of many popular artists/bands out there today. Unless you're someone like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry where pretty much everyone will know who they are, and probably know at least one of their songs.

As for me I've pretty much stagnated as far as my musical likes are concerned. I am not into the current indie alternative scene, which is where a lot of my favorite bands came from. Too much weird shit going on there now. No other genres really appeal to me. 

I did just download the Hamilton Leithauser album, the former front man for The Walkmen (my favorite band) and it's pretty good. A lot of familiar sounds in there, while going in a more soul/rockabilly direction. 

Actually, I'm probably at the point in my musical listening life where all my favorite bands best days are behind them, and/or breaking up.

The Walkmen just went on "indefinite hiatus" and now a bunch of the guys are putting out solo albums.

Radiohead hasn't released an album since early 2011 -- no word of another, and they've said "they're done with traditional albums" so I don't expect any new stuff from them aside from maybe solo stuff.

Arcade Fire peaked with The Suburbs, IMO, but they should still have another good 10 years left in them.

The National peaked with Boxer/High Violet, but they're still a band I seek out when they release new stuff.

Other bands I like, Stars, The Strokes, same deal.

It's kind of depressing...I guess I will be listening to this stuff for the rest of my life, although none of it will be played on the radio. Guess my iPod better last forever.

The "new-er" stuff I do like is limited and it's doesnt consume me like my favorites did during the last 10-15 years.

My wife is in love with Lana Del Rey right now and I kind of dig her stuff.

The Head and the Heart is a solid band, a tad hokey, but I like their sound. They just played Ram's Head last night I was going to go see them but it sold out before I got around to buying tickets.

I am seeing Arcade Fire in DC in August so I am excited about that.

Been listening to a lot of old school rap lately....that never gets old.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Titus Andronicus' first two albums are so good. I've been listening to The Monitor non stop since 2012. The Men's second album (and B side of the first) are outstanding. The latest one is very 60s rock, but the Bird Song gets stuck in my head everytime I hear it. Okkervil is still the best though.

@fuzydunlop

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'm starting to get a little tired of all the new AltNat bands... they all are starting to sound the same, so I get that. And I have a ton of friends that are into more of the 99.5 (Katy Perry, Pitbull) nonsense, so maybe that's why the Black Keys sort of fly under the radar for me.

#5 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

I'm starting to get a little tired of all the new AltNat bands... they all are starting to sound the same, so I get that. And I have a ton of friends that are into more of the 99.5 (Katy Perry, Pitbull) nonsense, so maybe that's why the Black Keys sort of fly under the radar for me.

Take those three recommendations I posted. I wouldn't steer you wrong.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,434 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

1.  The Hold Steady

2.  Arcade Fire

3.  Everyone else

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Take those three recommendations I posted. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Will do.

Listened to The Hold Steady a few times and liked them... need to listen more and see if they grab me.

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

The Strokes were so fucking good when they first came on the scene. First 3 albums were great, 4th was just ok and I never checked out their latest.

I guess TBK are close as far as popularity, and the Arctic Monkeys with the hype that came along with them. Just never been able to really get into either band although some of their stuff I do like.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

I'm a huge Radiohead fan... guess I should have included them since they released an album a few years ago.

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Radiohead has been pretty shit since Kid A. I guess "Hail to the Thief" was ok but "Amnesiac" "King of Limbs" are both bad. "In Rainbows" is decent.

@bopper33

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Wouldn't say they're shit just challenging albums, and I actually prefer them to Kid A which I like but always thought was overrated.

But then again you like a band that is basically spoken word over shitty instrumentation. Chips Ahoy has to be the worst song ever.

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Oh it's on!

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

So I still love Radiohead for making two of my favorite albums, but I don't think I'd go with them on a list like this because I don't really listen to their modern stuff.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Wouldn't say they're shit just challenging albums, and I actually prefer them to Kid A which I like but always thought was overrated.
But then again you like a band that is basically spoken word over shitty instrumentation. Chips Ahoy has to be the worst song ever.

So, is it tough going through life without the ability to hear?

@bopper33

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Btw, calling "Amnesiac" better than "Kid A" is worse than the Hold Steady comment.

Something like that and you completely lose all credibility in music posts.

@bopper33

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

So I still love Radiohead for making two of my favorite albums, but I don't think I'd go with them on a list like this because I don't really listen to their modern stuff.

Right... this.

#17 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

I'd probably say Breaking Benjamin is my favorite 'modern band', but I don't know what's going on with them exactly.  There were legal issues, then people left, then they're on hiatus, then the singer's doing acoustic shows, I mean who knows?  Godsmack and Sevendust would be next on the list.  Halestorm, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Three Days Grace, and Fall Out Boy would probably finish out my top 10 in some order.  I do like The Black Keys though, they probably should be in my top 10.

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

Btw, calling "Amnesiac" better than "Kid A" is worse than the Hold Steady comment.
Something like that and you completely lose all credibility in music posts.

Didn't say better, just that I prefer them to Kid A.

Kid A is like a classic movie you know is great but Predator gets watched more often.

Besides ok Computer has always been and always be their best album.

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,434 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Didn't say better, just that I prefer them to Kid A.
Kid A is like a classic movie you know is great but Predator gets watched more often.
Besides ok Computer has always been and always be their best album.

Well it's the 2nd best album ever recorded so yea. :-)

@bopper33

#20 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

The National, Frank Turner, The Front Bottoms.

Edit: Really not a fan of modern-day Arctic Monkeys or Black Keys. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=