13 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I'll be there later this month for 2 nights. Never been before and although I know it's a world class huge ass city I know little about it. I guess I'll do the space needle. Blue Jays are out of town. Going to eat and drink mainly as I usually do, and there is a wine and spirits festival one of the nights that we're considering, but any cool stuff you can recommend that I shouldn't miss would be great.

We're staying in the Chinatown district off of Spadina, if that makes any sense to anyone.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hit up the Lake Shore, and be jealous of how clean the city is versus a typical American city.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

Poutine dude. When you ask for the check, ask for 'the machine' and they'll bring it to you so you can pay. Otherwise they'll know you are an American. Looneys are one dollar coins, toonies are two dollars. Their paper bills are $5 and higher. They all take American money since it's about equal.

@fuzydunlop

#4 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Also fly porter airlines if you can. It's far and away the best airline I've ever used. Way better than Virgin and the like.

@fuzydunlop

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Also, gentlemen's clubs are a tad more, um, liberal up there. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Good lord Sean...you do a crazy amount of traveling.

#7 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'm trying to remember stuff from my trip last year. There is a Times Square type area that's equally worthless. I enjoyed the 'hipster' area, which is completely different in canada. There's a street that the area is named after but I cannot recall it.

@fuzydunlop

#8 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

I'm trying to remember stuff from my trip last year. There is a Times Square type area that's equally worthless. I enjoyed the 'hipster' area, which is completely different in canada. There's a street that the area is named after but I cannot recall it.

You mean it's not an area where people talk about war, projections, oba...
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#9 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

You could do the CN Tower's glass floor or EdgeWalk. Or as I like to call them:

Nope.gif

@DJ_McCann

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Been to Canada before -- Montreal -- so I know all about poutine, I will definitely hit some up when I am there.

Rob, we do travel a lot and I am lucky to be able to. My wife thinks we don't travel enough! 

But we'll be in the Rochester area for a wedding that weekend so we figured we might as well check it out since it's 2 hrs away. And we'll be driving.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Been to Canada before -- Montreal -- so I know all about poutine, I will definitely hit some up when I am there.

Rob, we do travel a lot and I am lucky to be able to. My wife thinks we don't travel enough! 

But we'll be in the Rochester area for a wedding that weekend so we figured we might as well check it out since it's 2 hrs away. And we'll be driving.

I was just in Rochester a few weeks ago for my brother's graduation, I could give you food recommendations there if you want.

@levineps

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

I was just in Rochester a few weeks ago for my brother's graduation, I could give you food recommendations there if you want.

We'll be in the area, not Rochester proper...don't plan on visiting although it would be cool to see their abandoned subway tunnels.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Just got back from our trip today. A few things:

The Niagara Falls was awesome. Didn't expect to be so wowed by it. A very touristy destination but worth it.

The Niagara wine region in Canada is great. Great wine, on level with many California wines.

Toronto was a little meh...just a city to me with no real unique features aside from the CN tower and several cities have similar towers. CN Tower was cool, freaked me out a bit but it was fun. I loved loved loved their streetcar system. Very efficient and comprehensive. Didn't set foot in the metro. Didn't need to. The food was excellent we went to two top ten restaurants while there and a couple of really good bars. It may not be worth visiting on its own and we only did since we were up that way for a wedding but if you have something to do close by, or the Os are in town, I recommend it. But between Toronto and Montreal, I enjoyed Montreal much more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=