#1 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I had been considering making a TNA thread, as the Pro Wrestling thread is dominated by WWE talk, and at the suggestion of chrismonty, here it is!

I agree that the TNA product has been good lately. I actually ordered Lockdown and enjoyed it very much, primarily the Angle/Hardy and Roode/Storm matches.

I think they've done an excellent job with Bobby Roode. They've built a very legitimate heel champion. He's had the belt since November, and a quick wikipedia check shows that in about 3 weeks, he will have the longest reign in TNA World Heavy Championship Title history (since they debuted the belt in 07). Couple that with the solid list of names he's taken down along the way and he's a superstar.

They've done an equally great job with James Storm. A home grown guy who is super over with the crowd right now. He's taking some time off following his loss to Roode, and I would have to think Roode will still have the belt whenever Storm comes back and he'll ultimately win it from him.

I'm a huge Hardy fan and think he'll eventually get another run with the belt. He and Storm are the top faces now, so it really needs to be one of the two of them that ultimately take the strap off of him.

Bully Ray, Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles, Mr. Anderson, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Zema Ion are a few more guys I enjoy. I just can't get into Crimson or Matt Morgan, not entirely sure why. I'd like to see Joe return to 1v1 action and having Motor City Machine Guns take the tag belts.

All in all, TNA has a whole lot going right now. They just are so limited by having all of their events at the Impact Zone and rarely doing live events. I think for them to realistically over take WWE at any time in the coming years, they would need to really change how they do things, which is easier said than done, because they have to remain profitable as well.

I also think its ridiculous to have PPVs at the Impact Zone. Come on. At least have the PPVs on the road.

@AdamWolff

#2 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

I've been watching TNA off and on, but haven't really seen it in a couple months. When I last checked results of it, it said that Eric Young and ODB were the TNA Knockouts Tag Champs. Could someone explain to me how this came about. I would figure that since Eric Young is a guy, he wouldn't wrestle in the Knockouts division, let alone be a tag-team champion.
@mrbeanage

#3 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

I've been watching TNA off and on, but haven't really seen it in a couple months. When I last checked results of it, it said that Eric Young and ODB were the TNA Knockouts Tag Champs. Could someone explain to me how this came about. I would figure that since Eric Young is a guy, he wouldn't wrestle in the Knockouts division, let alone be a tag-team champion.

That's accurate. It's another stupid angle, about as stupid as having Knockout Tag Champs in general. Somehow he and ODB got involved and ended up in a relationship and winning the titles.

In a lot of ways, TNA makes the same mistakes WCW made towards the end..stuff like that.

Overall, the product has been good lately.

@AdamWolff

#4 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

I don't think having the Knockouts Tag-Team division is a bad idea. They've got some decent knockouts in there. Having Eric Young in there as a knockout? That's a bad idea. Terrible really. The angle they had with Angelina Love being brainwashed by Winter last year was pretty terrible too.

I saw that TNA hired Brooke Hogan for a front office position. She's in charge of the knockouts. Not sure how I feel about that. Since she has no wrestling experience, I'm thinking it is not a good idea.
@mrbeanage

#5 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I don't think having the Knockouts Tag-Team division is a bad idea. They've got some decent knockouts in there. Having Eric Young in there as a knockout? That's a bad idea. Terrible really. The angle they had with Angelina Love being brainwashed by Winter last year was pretty terrible too.

I saw that TNA hired Brooke Hogan for a front office position. She's in charge of the knockouts. Not sure how I feel about that. Since she has no wrestling experience, I'm thinking it is not a good idea.

I agree their division is strong, I just don't think anyone will ever care enough about women's wrestling to justify needing the tag titles.

I saw the Brooke thing too. I'd say it's just another selfish Hogan thing. Hand his daughter something she's not at all deserving of. I think she's at least hot (some people aren't into her), so if she's on camera, there's always that. Still, it's just a business as usual kind of thing with Hogan.

@AdamWolff

#6 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

From a couple days ago..

TNA IMPACT WRESTLING President Dixie Carter and SPIKE TV President Kevin Kay announce today that the highly-rated “IMPACT WRESTLING” will be going Live! from Universal Studios beginning May 31st and continue through the summer. This announcement coincides with the recently announced new, one-hour earlier time slot change of 8:00-10:00pm/ET every Thursday night beginning May 31st.

http://www.prowrestl... ... 5204.shtml

Great move I think. There's just something significantly more exciting about watching a live product. Hopefully this will continue to get people interested, because as I said early, I'm of the opinion that TNA has been doing a lot of good things lately. Looking forward to this.

@AdamWolff

#7 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

We clearly don't have a large TNA following here, but tonight is the first live TNA Impact broadcast.

Starts at 8 PM. I'm interested to see if this gives them any kind of a boost in terms of ratings. I know they've talked about production costs being higher on a live broadcast, so they'll certainly need to see some kind of benefit to justify continuing it.

@AdamWolff

#8 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

I recently heard that TNA is starting to show a behind the scenes look of their program. Airing behind doors meetings and stuff like that. I don't know how I feel about this. Don't really want to know what goes on behind closed doors.

On a side note, I did hear that TNA is going to be at Ripken Stadium, I believe. If I had the money, it seems like a decent show.
@mrbeanage

#9 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

"Last night's live 5/31 TNA Impact Wrestling drew a 0.90 cable rating with 1.30 million viewers. This is the lowest rating for the show all year and the lowest overall rating since May 2010."

As reported by wrestleview.com
  • Adam Wolff likes this
@bings012

#10 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

"Last night's live 5/31 TNA Impact Wrestling drew a 0.90 cable rating with 1.30 million viewers. This is the lowest rating for the show all year and the lowest overall rating since May 2010."

As reported by wrestleview.com

Sting commented that the ratings were bad maybe because it was up against the NBA playoffs, but also because people didn't realize that it was on an hour earlier. I might have to blame the people at TNA and Spike-TV for that one. He did sound optimistic that it was going to turn around.

http://www.wrestlezo...pletely-suckedq
@mrbeanage

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

TNA had a very solid Slammiversary PPV on Sunday. I ordered it and, despite a few clunkers, most was good to very good and overall enjoyable. Match of the night was a Tag Title match that saw AJ Styles and Kurt Angle defeat Christopher Daniels and Kazarian. Weird to have them win, as they're both singles guys and Daniels and Kaz have actually been very good as a team, but it was a really, really good match. Other highlights would be Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe and Hardy vs Anderson vs RVD.

I think the live show will eventually help. They put a good show on last Thursday, a good PPV Sunday, and can look to build on that tomorrow.

@AdamWolff

#12 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

I always like the follow the WWE-alternative promotion, so while I haven't been nearly as into pro wrestling as I was in the past, I do try to keep up with what's happening in TNA. They seem to have solidified the booking and gotten rid of a lot of the Russo-esque gimmick matches that were so stupid.

From a pure wrestling standpoint, they probably have as much talent as the WWE. Like WCW though, they really need to improve their production values. Little things like entrance music, sound quality, etc. And it would be much better if they could get out of the Impact Zone, though I understand they may not be viable from an economic standpoint.

#13 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

I always like the follow the WWE-alternative promotion, so while I haven't been nearly as into pro wrestling as I was in the past, I do try to keep up with what's happening in TNA. They seem to have solidified the booking and gotten rid of a lot of the Russo-esque gimmick matches that were so stupid.

From a pure wrestling standpoint, they probably have as much talent as the WWE. Like WCW though, they really need to improve their production values. Little things like entrance music, sound quality, etc. And it would be much better if they could get out of the Impact Zone, though I understand they may not be viable from an economic standpoint.

I don't follow Wrestling, but am curious as to why "Glenn Davis" is such a stranger over here????

We need you, Danny boy!!! :D
@beginthebegin71

#14 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

I pretty much agree with everything you said here. TNA is doing a solid job of building a nice fanbase right now. They just need to continue to grow that and hopefully that will ultimately lead to being able to get out of the Impact Zone and improve production quality. Until then, it will certainly be seen as an inferior product to WWE, despite sometimes featuring much better wrestling and fresher angles. They're only a 10 year old company though, so there's plenty of time to grow.

Tonight's broadcast should be good. World title match, Ultimate X Match, and the Bound For Glory series participants will be announced. I'd suggest any casual wrestling fan to give it a shot at 8 tonight!

@AdamWolff

#15 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't follow Wrestling, but am curious as to why "Glenn Davis" is such a stranger over here????

We need you, Danny boy!!! :D

Appreciate the kind words, my friend. :)

I like Stoner and want to support his work, I just don't have enough time to follow 2 boards (frankly I don't have enough time to follow 1 but I do anyway) and with it being baseball season the OH just has more discussion there. Plus I do feel a sense of loyalty there as well.

I'll probably be over here a bit more once college football and basketball starts because the Terps boards over there really have lost a lot of action over the past few years.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#16 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Appreciate the kind words, my friend. :)

I like Stoner and want to support his work, I just don't have enough time to follow 2 boards (frankly I don't have enough time to follow 1 but I do anyway) and with it being baseball season the OH just has more discussion there. Plus I do feel a sense of loyalty there as well.

I'll probably be over here a bit more once college football and basketball starts because the Terps boards over there really have lost a lot of action over the past few years.

Fair enough, just check out the Thread on here called "Too Funny Not To Share" when you get a few minutes..See if you feel the same way after reading that.

Oh, and happy birthday!
@beginthebegin71

#17 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

TNA had a very solid Slammiversary PPV on Sunday. I ordered it and, despite a few clunkers, most was good to very good and overall enjoyable. Match of the night was a Tag Title match that saw AJ Styles and Kurt Angle defeat Christopher Daniels and Kazarian. Weird to have them win, as they're both singles guys and Daniels and Kaz have actually been very good as a team, but it was a really, really good match. Other highlights would be Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe and Hardy vs Anderson vs RVD.

I think the live show will eventually help. They put a good show on last Thursday, a good PPV Sunday, and can look to build on that tomorrow.

Being a wrestling fan for most of my life, I'm just going to assume that Styles and Angle will end up fueding in the near future. Near future being while they still have the titles, or immediately after losing them. I've seen countless tag-team partners end up fighting.

I'm a little surprised that Sting was the first one in the TNA Hall of Fame. I know that he's done a lot for the company and deserves to get in, but I figure for the very first one it would've been Jeff Jarrett, since I think he's the one that started it all. Any thoughts on who beat up Sting at the end of Impact Thursday night?

Saw that Christian was at the PPV. Thought he was going to leave the WWE for TNA, but then I found out that he was only there because WWE told him to cooperate. TNA called in the favor the WWE owed them for letting Ric Flair be at the Hall of Fame induction of the 4 Horsemen.
  • Adam Wolff likes this
@mrbeanage

#18 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

TNA with a really good show on Thursday. I agree with DBean, eventually AJ and Angle feud, probably sooner rather than later.

What does Austin Aries do? He can drop the X Division title, which he's carried for quite awhile and really legitimized again, to move onto the world title picture, or keep his belt. If he keeps the belt, it shows that the X division is incredibly important. If he drops it, it'll be interesting to see who they have take it next. I don't think he's main event talent yet, but he has to be one of the most popular mid card guys. I think if they have him drop the belt and then lose to Roode, which he would, it would probably kill some of his momentum.

The ending of Impact with Sting getting beat down was also very interesting. I have no clue who that might be, but it makes me want to tune in again. Between the BFG series, Aries decision, and this new Sting angle, plenty of reasons to be interested in what happens Thursday.

I'll continue to say that TNA's product has been better than WWE over the past month or two.

@AdamWolff

#19 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

The ending of Impact with Sting getting beat down was also very interesting. I have no clue who that might be, but it makes me want to tune in again.

Definitely want to tune in and watch. I'm thinking that Robert Roode had something to do with this.
@mrbeanage

#20 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Have to think Aries is going to give up the belt. No real sense to going down this road just to have him say "no thanks".

I'd like to see the X-division become more defined. As it is, there really aren't any qualifications - anyone can win the X-division belt. But clearly the division is for a different style. I'd almost like to see them require some sort of flexibility or athleticism test to qualify for the division. You can't compete in the division unless you pass the test. It's a little outside the box but I think you could actually create a lot of interesting angles out of it, plus it elevates the importance of the X-division belt rather than it just being a second-tier belt for guys who can do a lot of flippy stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=