• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#521 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,099 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

Women's indoor volleyball... bronze medal match... US and the Dutch....

Announcer has some hot takes... .

Good match, 4th set...

#522 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Happy to see Tyson Gay get a medal.  I'm a big fan of his and he's deserved better in his Olympic career.  Wish they could've beat Japan for the silver, but at least he gets something from the Olympics out of his great career.

Deserved better, he's a confirmed (caught) doper. I would say he's gotten what he deserved.

#523 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:35 PM

The Gold medal soccer match is in extra time.

#524 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

How do soccer fans feel about penalty kicks? Seems...too easy for the shooter. The goalie having to guess? Why not move it to the back of the box, or make the shooter dribble it in like a hockey penalty shot?
  • mweb08 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#525 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

How do soccer fans feel about penalty kicks? Seems...too easy for the shooter. The goalie having to guess? Why not move it to the back of the box, or make the shooter dribble it in like a hockey penalty shot?

I'm not a big soccer fan, but to me it seems completely out of character with everything else about the game... it's so hard to score during the game, so what do they do?  Create a tie-breaker that makes it incredibly easy to score...  where just a single failure to score can be fatal... it just seems wrong...

It would be like baseball deciding that a 9- or 10-inning tie should be resolved by having the hitters for each team line up and compete in a dang bunting contest... there has to be a better way....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#526 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

Centrowitz with the gold in the 1500! First gold by an American in the 1500 since 1908. And of course he's from Maryland!

Fuck Yeah!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#527 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:40 PM

Deserved better, he's a confirmed (caught) doper. I would say he's gotten what he deserved.

I like the guy.  He claims it was tainted stuff given to him by someone else.  Probably bogus, but he seems like a stand-up dude in other aspects of his life.  One of the great American sprinters of all time and nothing to show for it now in the Olympics.  Would've liked to have seen him come up with something.  

#528 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

What's the deal with Olympic soccer?  I note that a lot of the big stars from some of these teams aren't present.  Do they only send younger players?

#529 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,099 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:23 PM

What's the deal with Olympic soccer?  I note that a lot of the big stars from some of these teams aren't present.  Do they only send younger players?

It's 23 and under, with the ability to have like 2-3 guys over that age.

#530 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:36 PM

Hence why it's an Olympic footnote while the World Cup is a major event.

#531 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,099 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

Closing ceremony now over....   the Olympics overall has issues, Brazil has issues....  but the Olympics always sucks me in.

In a world full of a lot of misery, and just horribleness....  you see a lot of examples of the best of humanity.

Caught a lot of coverage of a lot of different events. Really enjoyed it.

Final Medal Count
http://www.cbssports...losest-country/

• Russ likes this

#532 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

Ought to be golden goal rules. Play until someone scores.

(On my phone, "scores" originally autocorrected to "dies", which is quite the Freudian slip, but also probably appropriate for some matches.)

Penalty kicks is kind of like settling a football game by having (non-kicker) players from each team try field goals from (old) extra-point distance.
@DJ_McCann

#533 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:07 AM

Golden goal and if you need to remove a player or two to open up the field. Shootout is horrible

#534 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Ought to be golden goal rules. Play until someone scores.

(On my phone, "scores" originally autocorrected to "dies", which is quite the Freudian slip, but also probably appropriate for some matches.)

Penalty kicks is kind of like settling a football game by having (non-kicker) players from each team try field goals from (old) extra-point distance.

A game could take 6, 7, 24 hours if you play like sudden death :)
@BSLMikeRandall

#535 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

FOX Sports: The U.S. dominated Rio and 16 more fascinating facts about the 2016 Olympic medal count
http://www.foxsports...st-facts-082116

#536 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Crabcakes and Olympic golds, that's what Maryland does
If Maryland were its own country, it'd have finished 6th on the medal count. Athletes from the Old Line State won a whopping 14 gold medals at the Games - with 10 coming from Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky. Helen Maroulis, Angel McCoughtry, Kyle Snyder, Kevin Durant and Jack Conger - yeah, that one - were the others. (MD will bring home 15 golds, but Conger and Phelps won one in the same event.) Though it's an inexact science determining hometowns of Olympic athletes, it's believed that Maryland finished third among all 50 states behind California and Florida. 
I guess Matt Centrowitz finishing first in the 1500 meters doesn't count?  I mean, it's the first gold by a US runner in the event since 1908 and the 1500 is one of the premiere events of track.  Pretty poor omission.

#537 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

That's pretty awesome.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#538 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

I wanna see a BSSC Handball league.

• BSLChrisStoner and Chris B like this

#539 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

The Pac 12 would have been top 5 in medal count if that was a country.

#540 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

KVV on the Olympics:

http://theundefeated...w-white-people/

(feel free to delete if it isn't appropriate.)

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=