Photo

Maryland moving to the Big 10 - will any ACC lax rivalries be saved?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

As a long time fan of ACC lacrosse I'd hate to see MD lose all the rivalries when they move to the Big 10.  MD vs. Virginia, UNC and Duke are all historic matchups. If they had stayed the ACC would be the best conference in the country....bar none.

Lacrosse gets sacrificed for hoops and football.  

Who wants to see MD vs. Penn State or Michigan instead of MD vs. Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, Duke, or Notre Dame?

@scotk09

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

As a long time fan of ACC lacrosse I'd hate to see MD lose all the rivalries when they move to the Big 10.  MD vs. Virginia, UNC and Duke are all historic matchups. If they had stayed the ACC would be the best conference in the country....bar none.

Who wants to see MD vs. Penn State or Michigan instead of MD vs. Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, Duke, or Notre Dame?

Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

Every sport gets sacrificed for football. It's all about TV markets and football. As much as an afterthought, basketball is for realignment, lacrosse just doesn't scratch the surface.

@levineps

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

They saved the rivalry with Hopkins, that was priority #1 from a tradition standpoint. Ohio State has had some decent teams since starting a program. But yeah, for the most part none of the games with B1G teams save JHU are going to be fun to watch, for now at least. But the sport's popularity continues to grow rapidly, and as we know the B1G schools have money to spend....they will get better, and thus the games will be more interesting.

I think the other important factor is keeping the annual games with other local schools like Navy, UMBC and Loyola (who they play some years, but not every year). And of course, we can always hope to have a competent AD someday who will finally work out the Georgetown issue.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

They saved the rivalry with Hopkins, that was priority #1 from a tradition standpoint. Ohio State has had some decent teams since starting a program. But yeah, for the most part none of the games with B1G teams save JHU are going to be fun to watch, for now at least. But the sport's popularity continues to grow rapidly, and as we know the B1G schools have money to spend....they will get better, and thus the games will be more interesting.

I think the other important factor is keeping the annual games with other local schools like Navy, UMBC and Loyola (who they play some years, but not every year). And of course, we can always hope to have a competent AD someday who will finally work out the Georgetown issue.

It going to be a while before Maryland can afford a nuclear bomb.

@DJ_McCann

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

It going to be a while before Maryland can afford a nuclear bomb.

Now, it's probably not going to happen until that bitter old man at G'town is completely out of the picture. But I think Kevin Anderson could have handled things a hell of a lot better than he chose to.

#7 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

I am glad the MD vs. JHU tradition was saved and I am curious to see what out of conference games they schedule.

MD and Hopkins will still have slots to fill outside of the Big 10 games.  

Correct me if wrong but next year Big 10 lax will look like this:

Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland, Hopkins.

Hoping Hopkins can keep Syracuse, Loyola, Virginia, UNC, Towson, Navy

I think local fans would prefer both schools keep games w/ other local schools if possible for out of conference games.

Not a lot of juice most years for Hopkins to play Villanova, Albany, MSM.

@scotk09

#8 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

ACC will still be the best lacrosse conference out there even after Maryland leaves.

#9 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Which school is filling the ACC slot when MD leaves?

Too bad it's not Loyola....now that would be some great games each year vs, Syracuse, UVA, Duke, UNC, Notre Dame.

@scotk09

#10 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Which school is filling the ACC slot when MD leaves?

Too bad it's not Loyola....now that would be some great games each year vs, Syracuse, UVA, Duke, UNC, Notre Dame.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a team replacing them right now.  If that's the case I think the ACC loses the AQ for the NCAA tourney. 

#11 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

According to this article no school has commited to the ACC for the 2015 year:

http://www.insidelac...alignment/20544

Only Georgetown and Loyola make any sense from a location or quality perspective. 

I know it's all about the money, but still a shame other ACC schools haven't added lacrosse. (Miami, Clemson, Ga. Tech., WF, Va Tech, NCST...etc.)

@scotk09

#12 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Loyola just moved to the Patriot league I doubt they are going to move again so soon.  Georgetown is a part of the Big East and can't move (their lax team has been awful lately anyway).

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a team replacing them right now.  If that's the case I think the ACC loses the AQ for the NCAA tourney. 

That is correct. Although it does open up an additional at-large bid (the addition of the Big Ten will be offset by the demise of the ECAC). I'd say it's a safe bet that the ACC Champ will earn an at-large bid every year, plus a couple other teams, so it's probably a wash.

#14 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

BOB said: That is correct. Although it does open up an additional at-large bid (the addition of the Big Ten will be offset by the demise of the ECAC). I'd say it's a safe bet that the ACC Champ will earn an at-large bid every year, plus a couple other teams, so it's probably a wash.

Totally agree on the ACC champ getting an AL bid.  Just a guess here, but I would not be surprised if a current ACC school adds lacrosse in the next few years. All those schools in the south have great weather and HS lax is starting to boom in GA and FL. What Baltiomre kid wouldn't want to go play lax at FLorida State....or Clemson....or NC State?

@scotk09

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Of all the ACC schools, FSU would seem the most obvious to add lacrosse. They are easily among the best-funded athletic departments in the conference (and thus could absorb the added costs of Title IX compliance) and are in a state where the sport is growing rapidly, so they could presumably get good players and be a competitive program relatively quickly. 

#16 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Agree on FSU.  So, if you are the FSU Athletic Director who's on your short list to be the men's lax head coach?

@scotk09

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

As long as they're willing to spend the money, they could probably lure a HC with a solid resume. Although not from square one like FSU would be, Bill Tierney has developed successful programs at Princeton and now Denver. If they're looking for a younger "rising star" then Paul Cantabene has done a great job at Stevenson and some D-1 school is probably going to strike while the iron is hot on him soon.

#18 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

If it was me I'd go w/ a coach that had a good D-1 track record, like Scott Marr, or maybe a DIII coach looking to make a move up like Cantebene or the coach at Salisbury....Berkman?

Not sure an older HC like Tierney or Zimmerman would be up for it.  

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@scotk09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=