#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

Hotwire north jersey. I stayed at a four star hotel in Jersey City for $89/night. Staying in the city is not recommended.
  • ChaosLex likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

four star hotel in Jersey City

So they had either bedbugs OR cockroaches, not both? :P

• ChaosLex and SammyBirdland like this
@DJ_McCann

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

Essential watching. Also, mind your business. People get angry when you chat them up on the street. Keep your head down (easiest way to spot tourists is they always look up at the buildings) and move fast. If youre lost or indecisive, move to a spot that's out of the way.

Also, spring st lounge opens everyday at 8am. I've gone there a few times after a night shift for a beer. Real chill reading a paper and having a brew. I know tons of dive bars because that's kinda my ideal drinking so advise if you need recs for that.
  • ChaosLex, SammyBirdland and tennOsfan like this

@fuzydunlop

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

I love Keste Pizza on Bleecker St it's also across from Johns Pizza which probably also worth a visit but they've had health code issues in the past. Visit the High Line park. Don't stay in midtown. But I'd recommend staying in the city. If you have to go to Times Square which during your first visit is pretty much a definite, go during mid day. And try to avoid taking the subway at all during rush hour.
  • ChaosLex and McNulty like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Ah the high line! Totally forgot that. It's kinda out of the way but well worth it. Walking over the manhattan bridge into dumbo is pretty good for views too. I'd disagree about taking the subway during rush hour. Being in a completely packed car nipple to nipple with randoms is maybe the most NY thing you can do. Also agree staying in the city is worth it.
  • ChaosLex likes this

@fuzydunlop

#26 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

So they had either bedbugs OR cockroaches, not both? :P

It's similar to a 3 star hotel, except you don't get murdered.

• ChaosLex and DJ MC like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

I would also look into Bolt and Megabus -- or any other bus options there are -- to save a few bucks.

Amtrak is expensive. It'll be $198 round trip for 2 people assuming you're able to get the $49 ticket each way. You could get there on Megabus for a fraction of that.

• ChaosLex likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

You guys rock! Thanks so much for the tips. :)

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

If you want to go to the top of a tall building, I advocate the top of the rock over the Empire State building for the following reasons: Empire St building and central park views and it's a much better viewing platform (indoor and outdoor).
  • ChaosLex likes this

#30 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

If you want to go to the top of a tall building, I advocate the top of the rock over the Empire State building for the following reasons: Empire St building and central park views and it's a much better viewing platform (indoor and outdoor).

Top of the standard is also a bar where you can do this. Bonus points for being able to see the entire city while on the can. Expensive and swanky though.
  • ChaosLex likes this

@fuzydunlop

#31 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

I would also look into Bolt and Megabus -- or any other bus options there are -- to save a few bucks.

Amtrak is expensive. It'll be $198 round trip for 2 people assuming you're able to get the $49 ticket each way. You could get there on Megabus for a fraction of that.

I dont know about other experiences, but you might get what you pay for with Megabus. Had a trip back to BMore where the AC didnt work in August. Miserable sweaty mess. And I break a sweat from just peeling an orange.
  • ChaosLex likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

I dont know about other experiences, but you might get what you pay for with Megabus. Had a trip back to BMore where the AC didnt work in August. Miserable sweaty mess. And I break a sweat from just peeling an orange.

They overbook their buses too. But I think they've gotten better about doing that.

• ChaosLex likes this

#33 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Megabus is a big gamble. Traffic is a giant wildcard. Pay the extra 60 bucks for Amtrak. It's worth it.
  • ChaosLex likes this

@fuzydunlop

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

Yea, I took Bolt Bus once, ended up sitting next to a woman who had a kid with SARS.

Our bus was supposed to leave Penn Station at 6 PM.  At 7, the 5 PM bus shows up.

Never again.

Amtrak is so worth it.

I'm gonna go a bit against the grain here, people seem to mostly be recommending the non "tourist trap" stuff.  For me, that's ok because I've visited New York at least 100 times in my life.  If this is your first time, you owe it to yourself to do the lame touristy stuff, just so you can say you did it.  Go to the Empire State Building, walk down 5th avenue, see Times Square, take a horse ride (or something similar) through Central Park, visit Lady Liberty.  If the Yankees are in town, check out Yankee Stadium.

Oh, the best pizza in the world is in Ramsey in North Jersey, but unless you're driving it's hard to get to.

Have fun!

• ChaosLex likes this

@bopper33

#35 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Just make sure you get a $49 Amtrak fare.

Otherwise, you might as well fly to NYC. Actually might be cheaper.

• ChaosLex likes this

#36 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

Yea, I took Bolt Bus once, ended up sitting next to a woman who had a kid with SARS.

Our bus was supposed to leave Penn Station at 6 PM.  At 7, the 5 PM bus shows up.

Never again.

Amtrak is so worth it.

I'm gonna go a bit against the grain here, people seem to mostly be recommending the non "tourist trap" stuff.  For me, that's ok because I've visited New York at least 100 times in my life.  If this is your first time, you owe it to yourself to do the lame touristy stuff, just so you can say you did it.  Go to the Empire State Building, walk down 5th avenue, see Times Square, take a horse ride (or something similar) through Central Park, visit Lady Liberty.  If the Yankees are in town, check out Yankee Stadium.

Oh, the best pizza in the world is in Ramsey in North Jersey, but unless you're driving it's hard to get to.

Have fun!

Cerrano, you should go bang a guy, just so you can say you did it.
  • ChaosLex and tennOsfan like this

@fuzydunlop

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

Just should mention, since Pedro brought it up, both Yankee Stadium and Citi Field (as well as MSG) offer tours. I've been on the Yankee Stadium tour; it's pretty good.

• ChaosLex likes this
@DJ_McCann

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

If I wanna do that I'll be sure to check out some of the spots you recommended.
  • ChaosLex likes this

@bopper33

#39 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

If I wanna do that I'll be sure to check out some of the spots you recommended.
Not a joke, but I've been to a gay bar named the toolbox. They had good free food and I got looked up and down *hard* by an overweight dorky black guy.

If you can't come up with a great joke from that, then we can't be friends.
  • ChaosLex likes this

@fuzydunlop

#40 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Wife and I are going up Thanksgiving week. Hope to witness the Macy's parade for the first time live. Will be hitting a bunch of shows. I love Broadway stuff. So we'll be around the Times Square area a lot, and I hope she's up for doing a big hike thru Central Park, which the time I went I thought was the coolest thing ever, right in the middle of this metropolis.

We're staying at the Westin in Jersey City and taking the PATH into Penn Station.

Looking for CHEAP eating possibilities. I've tried Shake Shack and thought it was overrated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=