Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Monumental NetworkCAPITALS ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO FRONT OFFICE AND COACHING STAFF

The Washington Capitals will not renew the contract of vice president and general manager George McPhee and have relieved head coach Adam Oates of his duties, majority owner Ted Leonsis and president Dick Patrick announced today.

@levineps

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Glad to hear it. I hope they make the right hire at GM. The rest will take care of itself. Wish GMGM the best, he did a lot of good here. Couldn't get us over the hump.

#3 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hallelujah.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Glad to hear it. I hope they make the right hire at GM. The rest will take care of itself. Wish GMGM the best, he did a lot of good here. Couldn't get us over the hump.

You say that now, but when we are out of sorts and miss the playoffs again, and then need to retool and then need to rebuild, you might not be so happy. Change isn't always a good thing, and right now it could go either way.

@JeremyMStrain

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

You say that now, but when we are out of sorts and miss the playoffs again, and then need to retool and then need to rebuild, you might not be so happy. Change isn't always a good thing, and right now it could go either way.

That's why I said I hope they make the right hire at GM. I'm aware that there are two directions to go from here... down, or up... I'm hoping it's up, but it's certainly not a guarantee to get someone better than GMGM. That said, I was in favor of the move. And I think most Caps fans were, even the one's who know what they're talking about.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

That's why I said I hope they make the right hire at GM. I'm aware that there are two directions to go from here... down, or up... I'm hoping it's up, but it's certainly not a guarantee to get someone better than GMGM. That said, I was in favor of the move. And I think most Caps fans were, even the one's who know what they're talking about.

That's the problem though, why should it matter from the one's that don't have a clue.

I get it, frustration, the feel like a change needs made, we all know I'm quick to come down on GM for stupid moves, BUT at the same time, there are MANY worse than him than there are better out there.

People are hoping we are about to find our Yzerman, but I promise you, he's one of a kind and it's a lot more likely to get our Garth Snow (shudder).

@JeremyMStrain

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

That's the problem though, why should it matter from the one's that don't have a clue.

I get it, frustration, the feel like a change needs made, we all know I'm quick to come down on GM for stupid moves, BUT at the same time, there are MANY worse than him than there are better out there.

People are hoping we are about to find our Yzerman, but I promise you, he's one of a kind and it's a lot more likely to get our Garth Snow (shudder).

Honestly Jeremy, what difference does it make? This team wasn't winning a cup with GMGM. I don't really care if they go on a Wizards esque run and miss the playoffs.

To quote Billy Beane (and Rob Shields): "You're either rebuilding for something special, or you're on the verge of something special. To be in between is foolish." 

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Honestly Jeremy, what difference does it make? This team wasn't winning a cup with GMGM. I don't really care if they go on a Wizards esque run and miss the playoffs.

To quote Billy Beane (and Rob Shields): "You're either rebuilding for something special, or you're on the verge of something special. To be in between is foolish." 

I can't even respond to that. Whatever.

@JeremyMStrain

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

I can't even respond to that. Whatever.

My point is this: I realize there's a chance we get someone worse and become the Wizards for a few years. But what good really is making the playoffs as a low seed with no chance at a cup? Maybe that does something for you, but that's not the goal for me. This franchise has never won a cup, and they need to. So they risk the fact that there's some down side here potentially, to hopefully hit a home run and build a legitimate cup contender. I don't see what's so wrong about what I'm saying.

• Oriole85 likes this

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

First off, I don't think Ted should be basing this decision on public opinion. That said "the fans that don't have a clue" (or the ones you disagree with) absolutely matter. If Ted brought back GMGM, it represents complacency.

I understand your position even though I disagree with it -- they make the playoffs nearly every year under GMGM even if they don't go far in the playoffs, so why risk that? Nevermind over 50% of the teams in the NHL make the playoffs.

I'm not sure if they were never winning a Cup with GMGM, but they routinely underachieved. The owner, coaches, and players have all changed during his tenure, he remained the common denominator -- and aside from the beginning they haven't been able to get far. Is it completely his fault, of course not. But like anything else it's a results oriented business and the results weren't there.

After routine disappointment, I don't think this is a knee-jerk reaction. If anything, Ted should be faulted for sticking with him too long. He could've extended him and been happy with continued status quo, but he wants more. At this point, I think it's a good move. This move has it's risks but so does any move.

Ironically with the Billy Beane quote, I'd love someone to take him to task with this considering he hasn't won a game above the ALDS and only made it out of it once during his tenure as GM. Yeah I give him credit and all for what he's done in a pretty difficult situation but still.

@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

CSN WashingtonPotential GM Candidates for the Washington Capitals

• Don Quixote likes this
@levineps

#12 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Could Ovi be traded now?

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Barry Trotz?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Could Ovi be traded now?

Can't imagine Leonsis allowing that.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

If we're going on the narrative that things could get worse -- I keep seeing that poking around various social media outlets, not just with Jeremy's comments -- any team that experiences some consistent success but can't reach their goals (or come close in this case), should never make a management change.

@levineps

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Clever of Ted to announce this on a Saturday, sandwiched between two Wizards playoff games. By the time Monday rolls around, this story will already be on it's 2nd or 3rd news cycle. 

You can watch the presser live at 4 on Monumental Network online.

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Btw, Leonsis basically saying exactly what I said in the presser today.

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Could Ovi be traded now?

I doubt it, but as good as he is I think he's part of the problem with the team as well.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

Not saying I disagree with today's moves, but I don't have high hopes for Ted Leonsis when it comes to assembling a front office that will be much better than what we've seen. His professional track record is checkered.

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

I'm a bit surprised this happen, as I was starting to think Leonsis wasn't going to make any changes at all.  I was fully on board with letting Oates go, as I had heard/read too much about him lately that I didn't like.  As far as GMGM goes, I originally wanted him gone, then when I started thinking about it more I felt like it would be a good idea to keep him around.  Having said that he had been the GM for 17 years so he certainly had a good run, a fresh voice may be what's needed.  Needless to say this makes for an interesting off season for the Caps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=