#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

So with One Shining Moment being played on Monday and the Green Jacket being awarded on Sunday, what is the best sports tradition?

Other good (or bad) ones: skating around with the Stanley Cup, the Indianapolis 500 winner drinking milk, the Lombardi Trophy walk (relatively new), Olympic torch, Army-Navy game, Harry Caray/celebs singing "Take me out to the Ballgame" during the 7th Inning at Wrigley, the octopus being thrown at Red Wings games, Sweet Caroline at Red Sox games, Lambeau Leap, Bleacher Creature roll call at Yankee Stadium, waving the Terrible Towel, 7NA at Ravens games, Thank God I'm a Country Boy during the 7th Inning stretch at O's games, running down Howard's Rock at Clemson, jumping in the pond at the LPGA Kraft Nabisco Championship, the overplaying of "We are the Champions" (can someone create another song already about winning it all?), and the losing teams clothing in championship situations being sent to third world countries.

My favorite is Ralphie running at Folsom (I'm biased). 

• Mike in STL likes this
@levineps

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

And I'm already going to add one I neglected --

Midnight Madness. I don't like how this tradition has been changed. I liked the idea that Lefty to start at the first possible second.

@levineps

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

So with One Shining Moment being played on Monday and the Green Jacket being awarded on Sunday, what is the best sports tradition?

Other good (or bad) ones: skating around with the Stanley Cup, the Indianapolis 500 winner drinking milk, the Lombardi Trophy walk (relatively new), Olympic torch, Army-Navy game, Harry Caray/celebs singing "Take me out to the Ballgame" during the 7th Inning at Wrigley, the octopus being thrown at Red Wings games, Sweet Caroline at Red Sox games, Lambeau Leap, Bleacher Creature roll call at Yankee Stadium, waving the Terrible Towel, 7NA at Ravens games, Thank God I'm a Country Boy during the 7th Inning stretch at O's games, running down Howard's Rock at Clemson, jumping in the pond at the LPGA Kraft Nabisco Championship, the overplaying of "We are the Champions" (can someone create another song already about winning it all?), and the losing teams clothing in championship situations being sent to third world countries.

I think you nailed them all. 

Tradition is probably most prominent in the NHL. The handshake at the end of each playoff series speaks volumes about whats good about sports. In a gladiator type sport like hockey played at the highest level, they still shake hands like five year old kids after a tee ball game.

Along the lines of the Stanley Cup, it's great that they don't celebrate conference trophies because it's not they one they strive for. The captain poses for the picture, and that's it. I wanna say Crosby is the only guy who raised the trophy or skated with it and he caught some flack for it. Guys also don't even touch the cup until they have won it. The NFL and NBA are notorious for taking pictures of players with the trophies leading up to the championship. Not in the NHL.

I love how each player gets to spend a day with the cup. Those commercials ESPN used to run when they had hockey were great. One where someone gave their baby a bath in the cup. Another made a jello mold with it. One guy took it fishing with him. I think Brett Hull locked his keys in the car with the cup in the back seat (I would think that one was scripted). 

So as far as tradition the NHL is king to me. Even with the Winter Classics, playing in the throwbacks, out in the elements. Other sports should try to capitalize on that idea. NBA could play a game out at Rucker Park in Harlem. MLB play a game on the Field of Dreams field, or Doubleday field in Cooperstown. I think they always played an exhibition game there unitl some years back. 

• Oriole85 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm not a Hockey fan, but the Playoff Handshake thing is pretty awesome. 

Underrated, and maybe I'm aging myself: "My Old Kentucky Home" while the horses are walking from the paddock for the Kentucky Derby. 

@beginthebegin71

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I really like the honorary tee off at the Masters.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

I think you nailed them all. 

Tradition is probably most prominent in the NHL. The handshake at the end of each playoff series speaks volumes about whats good about sports. In a gladiator type sport like hockey played at the highest level, they still shake hands like five year old kids after a tee ball game.

Along the lines of the Stanley Cup, it's great that they don't celebrate conference trophies because it's not they one they strive for. The captain poses for the picture, and that's it. I wanna say Crosby is the only guy who raised the trophy or skated with it and he caught some flack for it. Guys also don't even touch the cup until they have won it. The NFL and NBA are notorious for taking pictures of players with the trophies leading up to the championship. Not in the NHL.

I love how each player gets to spend a day with the cup. Those commercials ESPN used to run when they had hockey were great. One where someone gave their baby a bath in the cup. Another made a jello mold with it. One guy took it fishing with him. I think Brett Hull locked his keys in the car with the cup in the back seat (I would think that one was scripted). 

So as far as tradition the NHL is king to me. Even with the Winter Classics, playing in the throwbacks, out in the elements. Other sports should try to capitalize on that idea. NBA could play a game out at Rucker Park in Harlem. MLB play a game on the Field of Dreams field, or Doubleday field in Cooperstown. I think they always played an exhibition game there unitl some years back. 

First off, I sure as hell didn't nail them all. I might've gotten many of the prominent ones down, but you got some of the ones I didn't mention.

Out of the four major North American sports, I would agree with you that hockey is probably the steepest in tradition. We can do best trophy in sports for another discussion, but I think that's the Stanley Cup, from a team standpoint, it's not even close; the other one that comes to mind is the Heisman. Also unlike many of the other sports, the players get to celebrate first, it doesn't go to the suits (owners, GMs, or even coaches). 

In addition to not touching the conference trophies, I like how they don't touch the President's Trophy for regular season winner.

Funny you say that with Field of Dreams, my brother who isn't much of a baseball game has made that suggestion. I think it be very tough to have a regulation baseball game at a temporary structure. The closest you've had is when the Rays played games at the Braves ST facility in Disney World and before that the A's played them in Vegas, while Mount Davis was being constructed. The novelty factor would be great. They used to play an exhibition game at Doubleday, the fake site of where baseball was founded. In terms of the NBA playing in Harlem, that would be tough given it's a winter sport. They could play now, but do you really want a late season game being decided this way? The WNBA has played games at Arthur Ashe Stadium and they've played preseason games at Indian Wells.

• Mike in STL likes this
@levineps

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

I really like the honorary tee off at the Masters.

I was just thinking that as another one I left off when I went to espn.com and saw a picture of that. That too me is like the golf equivalent of the "first pitch." I like how Augusta has honored the living legends that way.

@levineps

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Giving the MVP to the player with the best fWAR.

• SBTarheel, glenn__davis, DJ MC and 1 other like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Giving the MVP to the player with the best fWAR.

Worst Tradition: RBI's

Second worst: Wins

@beginthebegin71

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Worst Tradition: RBI's

Second worst: Wins

Third worst:  Harold Reynolds

• SBTarheel and DJ MC like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

I was just thinking that as another one I left off when I went to espn.com and saw a picture of that. That too me is like the golf equivalent of the "first pitch." I like how Augusta has honored the living legends that way.

Yeah, I really hope I'm around in another 40 years or so to see octogenarian Phil and Tiger try to outdrive each other.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Third worst:  Harold Reynolds

Isn't that Tim McCarver?

@levineps

#13 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

If this one is being included I'm adding singing/playing Hail to the Redskins at Redskin games.

Also, I'd include RRP2 and the waving and crumbling up of newspapers and chucking 'em at the opposing teams bench at Terp bball games as some of my favs that got eliminated b/c of stupidity.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

If this one is being included I'm adding singing/playing Hail to the Redskins at Redskin games.

Also, I'd include RRP2 and the waving and crumbling up of newspapers and chucking 'em at the opposing teams bench at Terp bball games as some of my favs that got eliminated b/c of stupidity.

Originally when I was doing this, I was thinking only event/championship stuff, not things that are done at every game. I absolutely should've including HTTR. I guess I could've included "Three Little Birds" at Nats Park, since that's what they play after losses (or they did as of a few years ago). 

@levineps

#15 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Originally when I was doing this, I was thinking only event/championship stuff, not things that are done at every game. I absolutely should've including HTTR. I guess I could've included "Three Little Birds" at Nats Park, since that's what they play after losses (or they did as of a few years ago). 

Nah, nuts to the Natinals.  They can take a hike. :)

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

The Super Bowl champion starting the next season at home on Thursday night.

Seriously though, I like different stadium songs. "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" here, "Sweet Caroline" in Boston. I've walked out of Yankee Stadium twice singing "New York, New York" after Yankee losses, and it was great.

• Oriole85 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

The Super Bowl champion starting the next season at home on Thursday night.

Seriously though, I like different stadium songs. "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" here, "Sweet Caroline" in Boston. I've walked out of Yankee Stadium twice singing "New York, New York" after Yankee losses, and it was great.

Kate Smith's rendition of GBA.

@levineps

#18 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

I can't stand the single game Sunday Night Baseball Opener...Or the Thursday NFL one. 

"Opening Day" means everyone plays..

Dammit. 

Sorry. 

• Russ likes this
@beginthebegin71

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

I can't stand the single game Sunday Night Baseball Opener...Or the Thursday NFL one. 

"Opening Day" means everyone plays..

Dammit. 

Sorry. 

I like those. I still think of Opening Day as the first Monday with all the day games and in the old days, the national championship game being played that night.

What I hate is the international openers a week before.

• The Epic likes this
@levineps

#20 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'm with Seth on "Old Kentucky Home".  Love that.  Also used to love Jim McKay's call of "Down the stretch they come!"

• SBTarheel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=