42 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

One thought on signing Young now....

If the O's wanted to obtain Justin Upton, one thing which could lift their offer would be taking back BJ Upton (or at-least taking on a significant portion of his existing contract.)

BJ's last two years have been horrible, but if you did take him on... you would be hoping he could get back to hitting LHP... if you have Young, it's even less reason to have BJ.

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

We need a LF/DH who can hit lefties. I think Young is good enoigh at hitting lefties that a 2-year deal is justifiable. I'd prefer someone who's not a liability in LF, though.<br /><br />Kind of like the rumored Chen/Kendrick swap. I'd like to look for more ideal options and wait having that in my back pocket as a fallback plan. But that probably isn't how it works, gotta make the deals you can when you can.

Just curious... what environment are you in when you respond that causes the line-break tags to come though?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

Just curious... what environment are you in when you respond that causes the line-break tags to come though?

It's just something I do for emphasis when I want to make my point more clear.  Kind of *like* this.  :)

It's when I'm using tapatalk on my phone, though it doesn't happen all the time.  Could probably update the app and fix the glitch..

#24 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

It makes me wonder why they seem hesitant to sign him to a two-year deal. Perhaps they have some other irons in the fire?

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

It makes me wonder why they seem hesitant to sign him to a two-year deal. Perhaps they have some other irons in the fire?

The narrative is that he gets lazy when he's not playing for a contract. Don't know how true it is.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

They are hesitant to give him a 2-year deal because he isn't a player worth a 2-year deal.  He's a guy who hits lefties and can PH.  He does that reasonably well.  He did it fantastically well in 2014, but you don't sign him for 2015 and 2016 unless you think he can do it that well again, and nobody should really think he will.  He'll likely be the same guy he's usually been, solid but unspectacular against LHP, not good enough against RHP to earn regular playing time, and a butcher in LF.  We'll need a lefty-mashing DH/LF on the roster most likely, so it's fine to bring him back, but guaranteeing him two years isn't a move we should be rushing into.  If he gets two years from someone else, good for him, we can go find someone else to provide what he provides.

• BobPhelan likes this

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

CSN Baltimore: Showalter considering expanded role for playoff hero

http://www.csnbaltim...le-playoff-hero

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

CSN Baltimore: Showalter considering expanded role for playoff hero

http://www.csnbaltim...le-playoff-hero

If there's anything in there that supports the title, I couldn't find it....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Fox Sports: http://www.foxsports...-dodgers-041915

Delmon Young, the first pick (No. 1 overall) by the Rays in the 2003 draft, once was quite athletic; the Orioles, checking some old scouting reports, noted that he had above-average speed and an above-average arm.

Young told the O’s he wanted to regain that athleticism, and he has worked hard with Brady Anderson, the former outfielder who is now a member of the team’s front office.

Anderson travels and works out with the club, and is still in great shape at 51. Young was the first player in the clubhouse every morning in the spring, and is now the fastest Oriole in the 10-yard dash, according to manager Buck Showalter.

#30 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

@masnRoch: #orioles DFA Delmon Young

@masnRoch: Young, the hero in Game 2 of the ALDS with his bases-clearing double, has DFA'd to make room for Tyler Wilson #orioles

@masnRoch: Duquette attempting to trade Young. Has talked to executives with teams in both leagues #orioles

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

I think that's the right move. Figure Wilson today, Gausman tomorrow, and Schoop on Friday?

#32 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for one of the great moments in Orioles history!

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this
@beginthebegin71

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

Yep, it's probably my second favorite sports moment I was at live (Steve Blake steal #1).
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

And the all-time loudest...

#35 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Not too surprised, he was the least versatile.

#36 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

Not too surprised, he was the least versatile.

Really?   I bet he could play any position poorly...

#37 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Brittany Ghiroli @Britt_Ghiroli 32s32 seconds ago Baltimore, MD

Duquette is confident they can trade Delmon Young in the next day or two.

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:49 PM

I honestly don't know what language I would have used a year ago if you asked me how I'd feel to see Delmon Young go, but it would be quite a bit different than what I'd use now :P

@DJ_McCann

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 32s32 seconds ago Baltimore, MD
Duquette is confident they can trade Delmon Young in the next day or two.

Yea, that shouldn't be a problem at all.

#40 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,449 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Glad they made the right choice. Not that I didn't think they would, but you never know..... Thanks for game 2 last year, Delmon.

• Greg Pappas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=