• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

Camden Chat: Why is Delmon Young on the roster?
http://www.camdencha...2014-roster-why

I don't really disagree with the premise of Kevin's article, but it wouldn't be that difficult to play Cruz, Young, and Pearce together against the lefties you wanted to.

You put Cruz in RF due to his arm, Pearce in LF, and you DH Young.

Is Young a bit redundant right now? Yeah, he is. That doesn't make him unusable though.

If you did cut him, who would you replace him on the roster with?

#2 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

I get the idea too. But Young is fine..for now. Once he stops hitting he's useless.

I would agree that they could use Weeks due to Hardy's uncertainty right now. Yesterday was a prime example as they were stuck with Flaherty, Lombo, and Schoop and couldn't pinch hit.

My other point would be that Buck needs to get all 25 some time. Get your starters some rest on occasion and keep everyone engaged. A player on the 25 shouldn't go almost a week without playing.

#3 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Young is fine. Pearce is useless. The Os have chosen Young over Pearce.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Young is fine. Pearce is useless. The Os have chosen Young over Pearce.

Pearce can actually pretend to play the field. Young is a terrible person who can occasionally pop a ball over the fence. Pearce can do that, only he can also stand in the outfield and not make me angry by being on the team.

@DJ_McCann

#5 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Pearce can actually pretend to play the field. Young is a terrible person who can occasionally pop a ball over the fence. Pearce can do that, only he can also stand in the outfield and not make me angry by being on the team.

I'd rather have Pearce play instead of Young. The fact remains that Young is getting playing time and Pearce is doing nothing.

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Well he's earning his roster spot today. Pearce has to be the odd man out if the decision were made today.

#7 miwayjo

miwayjo
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNewport, RI

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

When Manny Machado returns, Steve Pearce will be exposed to waivers. Delmon Young is the #1 over-all 2003 draft pick, and appears to be completely healthy for the first time in years. Young can handle LF behind Lough & Cruz, and I'm sure he has the ability to back-up Chris Davis @ 1B (if needed). Young will be the primary DH, and I like how his bat is looking in Baltimore's line-up...Go O's!!!

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

Delmon Young...appears to be completely healthy for the first time in years.

Link?

@DJ_McCann

#9 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

Link?

http://articles.balt...spring-training

After missing the entire spring last season recovering from microfracture surgery, he's healthy again and back on the field. He can already tell the difference. The power in the ankle is back at the plate, allowing him to drive the ball more. And he has been able to cover more ground in the outfield because he's in better shape.

"I couldn't lift weights," Young said of being injured. "I wasn't in the weight roomicon1.png. It just hurt standing. By the third at bat of the game, it hurt to get in the batter's box because [the dirt isn't] flat anymore it's whatever shape from whoever's been in there. I was hitting in different positions and had no drive from the back side. Once I was committed to swing, I was jumping out to swing.

He's doing alright so far this year.  Could be another garbage heap steal by DD.  

• DJ MC and miwayjo like this

#10 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

He's doing alright so far this year.  Could be another garbage heap steal by DD.  

Speaking of which, how great would it be if Johan Santana could be a contributor to the rotation this season?

#11 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Camden Chat: Why is Delmon Young on the roster?

Because he's awesome?

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Thanks. I didn't remember hearing of any injury issues with him before.

@DJ_McCann

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Young 2 for 4, with his 4th homer, and 3 knocked in tonight vs. Seattle...

Entered tonight with 9 ab's in July, and just 119 on the year...  

Very impressive how he has been able to perform in his limited opportunities...

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

MASN: Will Young  be too restless to remain with the O's?

http://www.masnsport...th-orioles.html

#15 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

MASN: Will Young  be too restless to remain with the O's?

http://www.masnsport...th-orioles.html

I sure hope not.  He's a terrific bench player and platoon option in LF.  I really want him back next year.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

Camden Chat: Delmon Young contributed more than just that one big hit to this year's Orioles team

http://www.camdencha...ew-delmon-young

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

The Orioles are apparently trying to sign Young now.

Why? Why commit that roster spot to him as of now?

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

We need a LF/DH who can hit lefties. I think Young is good enoigh at hitting lefties that a 2-year deal is justifiable. I'd prefer someone who's not a liability in LF, though.<br /><br />Kind of like the rumored Chen/Kendrick swap. I'd like to look for more ideal options and wait having that in my back pocket as a fallback plan. But that probably isn't how it works, gotta make the deals you can when you can.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

We need a LF/DH who can hit lefties. I think Young is good enoigh at hitting lefties that a 2-year deal is justifiable. I'd prefer someone who's not a liability in LF, though.<br /><br />Kind of like the rumored Chen/Kendrick swap. I'd like to look for more ideal options and wait having that in my back pocket as a fallback plan. But that probably isn't how it works, gotta make the deals you can when you can.

You can find guys that can do that though.

If you sign Young now, you are basically saying we have to have a platoon somewhere. That isn't a terrible thing by any means but it also gets in the way of other moves that could come your way.

Just no reason to make this decision now. You have Pearce already.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

I think you're probably right that signing Young now means they think he'll be in a platoon somewhere, which I also agree is fine but it's a bit early in the offseason to make that your committed plan.  But, he could also just be a backup player who hits lefties well.  He was hitting as well as he did basically all year, and he never really got consistent time until Davis was suspended. 

I don't think signing Young now procludes us from signing a fulltime DH or whatever other move we might want to make.  I could potentially make the bench a bit clunky with a guy who really is only a hitter sitting there, but that's a problem we can fix later as well if we do happen to get saddled with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=