• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

#41 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

The Crosstown SHOOTOUT between Xavier and Cincinnati will be returning to on-campus games starting this season.

Deal is 10 years long, alternating home and home. Game this year is 2/18/15. Thank god.

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

The Crosstown SHOOTOUT between Xavier and Cincinnati will be returning to on-campus games starting this season.

Deal is 10 years long, alternating home and home. Game this year is 2/18/15. Thank god.

The neutral site games only works for a handful of games and almost exclusively cfb -- World Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, Red River Rivalry, and Army-Navy. Seems late in the year for a non-conference matchup.

@levineps

#43 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

The neutral site games only works for a handful of games and almost exclusively cfb -- World Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, Red River Rivalry, and Army-Navy. Seems late in the year for a non-conference matchup.

UC wants the neutral site (more fans for them) and Xavier wants the home and home. They wanted a mid-season game while we wanted a December showdown.

Glad they came to a compromise.

EDIT: Also just found out that the game will be featured on ESPN's Rivalry Week since the game will be played at UC.

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

ACC Basketball Tournament Championship moves to Saturday night

Dumb idea. Glad the Terps left that conference.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

ESPNBrandon Sherrod joins glee club

Yale junior Brandon Sherrod has chosen harmonies over the hardwood, at least for a year.

The 6-foot-6 forward is one of the 14 students selected to make up the next version of the Whiffenpoofs, the school's famous male a cappella singing group.

He said he wanted to stay with the Bulldogs, a team that finished this past season 19-14 and is expect to challenge Harvard for the Ivy League basketball title next season. Yale hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 1962.

"This is supposed to be THE year, and you want to play with your guys," he said. "But the Whiffenpoofs is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

@levineps

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

ESPNBrandon Sherrod joins glee club

Reminds me of American Pie....except in this case there's no chick involved.

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Reminds me of American Pie....except in this case there's no chick involved.

Well, at least not in the club itself.

@DJ_McCann

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

@reneknottsports St Louis will host the 2018 Men's SEC basketball tournament #Mizzou @KSDKSports

@levineps

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

CBS Sports: Conference Catch-up AAC
http://www.cbssports...takes-step-back

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

ESPNTop 50 College Hoops Coaches: Nos. 50-25

I have a hard time leaving Kevin Stallings/Bruce Pearl off this list entirely. Like any other "list" there's going to be some questionable calls, I'll be interested to see the top 25. I mean you know who it's going to be at this point, just a matter of the order.

@levineps

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Sports Illustrated: In women's hoops, why is the number of female coaches dwindling?

Yet, when VanDerveer heard in March that Dykes' alma mater, the University of Arkansas, had hired him to be its women's basketball coach, she was, shall we say, less than enthusiastic. "It was very depressing," VanDerveer says. "To me, it just showed where we're at. Would they do something like that in men's basketball? I'm not believing it."

VanDerveer was not alone in her disbelief. On the day of the announcement, Beth Bass, who was then the head of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association, issued a statement calling the decision "disappointing to the multitude of more-than-qualified coaches who are members of our association." Yale coach Chris Gobrecht tweeted that Arkansas was "not showing respect for our game and our athletes by making that hire." Brenda Paul, a former coach at Mississippi State who now works at Young Harris (Ga.) College, wrote a newspaper column calling the Dykes hire a "slap in the face to all in the profession." Judy Sweet, a trailblazer in women's athletics who once presided as the NCAA's president when that position served under an executive director, says it's "disappointing that a qualified, experienced current coach wasn't given the opportunity, particularly because I know there are so many women that could step into that position and do well."

This dynamic is pronounced in basketball, the most lucrative of all the women's sports. In 1977, women coached nearly 80 percent of women's college teams. The number has since dwindled to 59.2 percent. In Division I, the percentage of women head coaches has gone from 72.2 in 1992 to 62.9 in 2014, the lowest percentage ever recorded. The numbers come as no surprise to VanDerveer, who made $13,000 in her first job when she was hired at Idaho in 1978. "When there was no money in it," VanDerveer says, "there were no men in it."

This isn't the first time this "problem" has been mentioned, I do think Tara VanDerveer is the most vocal about it. I'd probably be pretty annoyed too if I were in her position.

@levineps

#52 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

UC wants the neutral site (more fans for them) and Xavier wants the home and home. They wanted a mid-season game while we wanted a December showdown.

Glad they came to a compromise.

EDIT: Also just found out that the game will be featured on ESPN's Rivalry Week since the game will be played at UC.

Auburn and Xavier with a home and home series starting next year.

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

I'm excited with Auburn playing Colorado next year. Now if Xavier and Colorado could play we could have the BSL round robin.

@levineps

#54 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yup, somehow we have three SEC schools on the docket for 2014-15 (Auburn, Bama, and Mizzou).

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

ACC Basketball Tournament Championship moves to Saturday night

Dumb idea. Glad the Terps left that conference.

And we are glad the Terps are gone...we get to bring in a real team.

But why is this a dumb idea?

You move it to prime time, where you will have a bigger audience.

Now, you have day games on the weekend, when people are out doing stuff.
  • Chris B likes this

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

I don't get why more teams don't do this..instead of scheduling garbage mid majors, schedule teams like this and have "better wins" on your resume.

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

And we are glad the Terps are gone...we get to bring in a real team.

But why is this a dumb idea?

You move it to prime time, where you will have a bigger audience.

Now, you have day games on the weekend, when people are out doing stuff.

So you move it to Saturday night, when people are...out doing stuff.

Hey, the conference has pretty much decided that tradition is worthless anyway, so it really doesn't matter what else they change, does it? I hear that they're running focus groups on team names; I'm guessing TealDevilz will sell more multi-colored hats.

@DJ_McCann

#58 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

I don't get why more teams don't do this..instead of scheduling garbage mid majors, schedule teams like this and have "better wins" on your resume.

Yup. We only had one true road game last season (Alabama) and that was why we were seeded so low in the tournament.

Coaches and staff talked to Wellman on what the committee valued (road wins) and this year we have road games with Mizzou, Cincinnati, and Auburn.

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

So you move it to Saturday night, when people are...out doing stuff.

Hey, the conference has pretty much decided that tradition is worthless anyway, so it really doesn't matter what else they change, does it? I hear that they're running focus groups on team names; I'm guessing TealDevilz will sell more multi-colored hats.

They have Tvs on at bars and restaurants, where most people are going out on Saturday nights...that's not the case on Sunday afternoons. Most people aren't hanging out at bars and restaurants on Sunday afternoons.

And btw....all of college sports have decided traditions are worthless, including your Terps.

ACC shouldn't be any different.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Yup. We only had one true road game last season (Alabama) and that was why we were seeded so low in the tournament.

Coaches and staff talked to Wellman on what the committee valued (road wins) and this year we have road games with Mizzou, Cincinnati, and Auburn.

After Colorado got snubbed in 2011 (based on scheduling by a previous coach), they made a real effort to beef up the scheduling. Last year was pretty difficult since it was tough convincing teams to come to Colorado and/or play home/homes, so they played Ok St in Vegas and Baylor in Dallas (essentially a home game for them but whatever). Both losses, but for RPI purposes, it looked a lot better than some cupcakes. Throw in some good midmajor games like UCSB and Elon (who actually didn't do as well we would've liked but better than some lesser opponents). 

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=