Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Rubber Soul alone...

99% of all bands to ever exist would proudly call "Rubber Soul" their magnum opus. For the Beatles it's their 5th best. Lol.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#43 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

Yea there's something wrong with that. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on something as subjective as art, but there is a reason the Beatles are so highly acclaimed. There's a reason the Godfather is almost universally loved. What you're suggesting is akin to calling Danielle Steele a better writer than Shakespeare -- you're entitled to think that, but people might think you're a looney tune.

Do share what these profound and objective reasons are oh wise one.  What makes it so wrong to dislike them?  Perhaps I too could bask in the magnificent light of the holy knowledge you must possess.

#44 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

Do share what these profound and objective reasons are oh wise one.  What makes it so wrong to dislike them?  Perhaps I too could bask in the magnificent light of the holy knowledge you must possess.

I mean, most of this stuff has been touched on already -- if you turned down Cannibal Corpse for a second maybe you'd get it.

They're more than just "Bieber of the 60s" -- yes their early stuff was more bubble-gum poppy in nature, and that's what put them on the map, but they are  much more than that.  Their harmonies (who said they couldn't stand their singing lol), the melodies they wrote, the vivid imagry in a lot of the lyrics, the fact that they're responsible for so much of what you hear on the radio today...all that stuff (and I'm probably missing a few) are the reasons why.

As for The Godfather?  Ask any film student/savant/critic what goes into making a great film and I guarantee you The Godfather has it.

@bopper33

#45 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

I was lucky enough to be able to see the remastered A Hard Day's Night movie at Carolina Cinemas in Asheville yesterday.  So cool to watch and hear the boys in that environment.  So much of their music is timeless.  The theater was packed - old people, young people and all those in between.

You know you're seeing something special when the movie audience erupts in cheers at the opening chord of the title track.

• Mark Carver likes this

#46 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Going back through this thread and reading some of the stuff in here makes my head hurt lol.

@bopper33

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm in the anti Fleetwood Mac group. Just never got into them.

If you kicked Stevie Nicks out, Fleetwood Mac would kick ass.  I can't stand Stevie Nicks though for some reason.

Listen to some of their songs where she barely sings, though.  Tusk, for example, is freaking amazing.  Never Going Back Again is a cool little almost instrumental.

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Agree to disagree about Nicks.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE her voice -- the raspy soul is just perfect.

Gold Dust Woman is an incredible song. 

I do probably prefer Buckingham to Nicks though, but that's not meant to be an insult.  It mostly shines through on their best record, "Rumours" where the Buckingham songs are vastly superior to the Nicks songs (although Dreams is solid and Gold Dust Woman I already mentioned).

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Agree with Pedro 100%.

Also, Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" is one of my 10 favorite albums ever.

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Agree with Pedro 100%.

Also, Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" is one of my 10 favorite albums ever.

It's a top 10 70s album for me.  I think I made that thread a while back, one of those music threads of mine that you hate so much. :-P

@bopper33

#51 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Fleetwood Mac at their best was pretty darned good.  Rumors is flawless.

I went back and discovered the original lineup of the band, and wow!  Great blues band.  Sounds nothing like the later incarnation.

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

Fleetwood Mac at their best was pretty darned good.  Rumors is flawless.

I went back and discovered the original lineup of the band, and wow!  Great blues band.  Sounds nothing like the later incarnation.

When you get a chance, read the wiki page on Peter Green.  He is an....interesting person.

@bopper33

#53 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Ron Howard to Direct New Beatles Doc Focusing on Band's Early Years

When Ron Howard was 9 years old, he was already a national television star on The Andy Griffith Show – and there was only one thing he wanted for his next birthday. "The gift that I was begging for was a Beatle wig," he tells Rolling Stone with a laugh. "And on March 1st, 1964, that's what I got: the Beatle wig of my dreams."

Now the Academy Award-winning director is coming full circle with his Fab Four obsession, having signed on to direct and produce an authorized, as-yet-untitled documentary about the touring years of the band’s career (approx. 1960-1966), a period in which the Beatles crossed the globe, sparked Beatlemania and released several classic albums (including A Hard Day’s Night and Rubber Soul). For it, he will interview surviving members Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, as well as talk with Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison (wife of the late George Harrison).

"What's so compelling to me is the perspective that we have now, the chance to really understand the impact that they had on the world," Howard says. "That six-year period is such a dramatic transformation in terms of global culture and these remarkable four individuals, who were both geniuses and also entirely relatable. That duality is something that is going to be very interesting to explore."

Read more: http://www.rollingst...6#ixzz37fy1B7ZP 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#54 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#55 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

Stevie Nicks has such a distinctive voice.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#56 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

Some people who posted in this thread are going straight to Hell.  (Do not stop at Purgatory...)

p.s.  I used to think Ringo was kinda lame too.  But that was before I understood music.  The Beatles weren't about showing off.  They never showed off.  The one thing they all did was always be subservient to the song... which is kinda amazing from 4 guys who the rest of the world treated as if they were gods...

p.p.s.  A guy I know who's a career professional drummer says that it's harder than you think to really play like Ringo (as opposed to play kinda-like Ringo)... he says you gotta overcome all your natural instincts to do that... he says it's not hard to do for a little bit, but it's damn near impossible to maintain...something about a left-handed guy on a right-handed drum set (which means Ringo was the Brooks Robinson of drummers...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#57 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for bumping this. Currently listening to the simplistic bullshit that is "The White Album." One of the 10 best records ever and maybe the Beatles' third best.

@bopper33

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

It's kind of interesting to me that Lennon and McCartney both predominantly wrote the Beatles songs individually, yet when they broke up, their work was nowhere near as good. But maybe the Beatles were going to fall off anyway? Let It Be while good, isn't close to their best work.

#59 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

It's kind of interesting to me that Lennon and McCartney both predominantly wrote the Beatles songs individually, yet when they broke up, their work was nowhere near as good. But maybe the Beatles were going to fall off anyway? Let It Be while good, isn't close to their best work.

Nah.

The Beatles are a great instance of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.  They made each other better.  But Let It Be was done when they were fractured, not speaking to one another, recording stuff in separate sessions, they kinda phoned it in.  Then, they decided to go out with a bang... which gave us Abbey Road.  

Don't be confused by the release dates of those two albums.  Abbey Road was the last one they recorded, after Let It Be was already in the can.  They decided that Let It Be was not how they wanted to go out, so they got over their internal BS for one last hurrah.  They did Abbey Road while they were biting their tongues so they could focus on the music again, like they always had done before the BS started.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#60 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

Nah.

The Beatles are a great instance of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. They made each other better. But Let It Be was done when they were fractured, not speaking to one another, recording stuff in separate sessions, they kinda phoned it in. Then, they decided to go out with a bang... which gave us Abbey Road.

Don't be confused by the release dates of those two albums. Abbey Road was the last one they recorded, after Let It Be was already in the can. They decided that Let It Be was not how they wanted to go out, so they got over their internal BS for one last hurrah. They did Abbey Road while they were biting their tongues so they could focus on the music again, like they always had done before the BS started.

This was also the case for The White Album
It's interesting Web brought this up. I texted this to some friends a while back:
"Interesting music topic: despite the Lennon/McCartney combo being heralded as the best song writing duo ever, you could argue their best stuff was written when they were at odds and didn't collaborate (abbey road, white album). Does this contribute to how underrated Harrison was (the one constant) or was it purely coincidental? Keep in mind both of their solo careers were nothing special."
"

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=