21 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

MLB TradeRumors: http://www.mlbtrader...uel-tejada.html

As first reported by MLB.com's Ghiroli, and MASN's Kubatko... interesting.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

As a Minor League deal, I do not think it is of much consequence; but it is interesting.

Thinking about this a bit more... Tejada has always been on good terms with the organization. Assume it is, "I still want to try and play.. please give me a chance." O's didn't owe it to him, but I guess somewhat classy to do it. Minor League move doesn't hurt anyone. Sub .600 OPS in 322 ab's last year... hard to imagine where he could fit in.

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 4253.story

This makes little sense in my view.

#4 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Never hurts to have depth in the form of decent glove work at 3B and possibly SS.

Then again, could be motivation for Reynolds. Seems to have worked since he's seeing the ball so well tonight.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Last year, in over 300 at bats, he had a sub 600 OPS. The year before, it was a sub 700 OPS in over 600 at bats.

His uzr in 2010 was -6.9...in 2011, it was 6.3 in less games, which is a nice improvement.

Why not just bring up Antonelli? Makes no sense.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

Baseball is an old boys game. I have to wonder if this is a favor to Tejeda. Signing him to a minor league deal and then saying he is going to spend a lot of time in extended ST to me sounds like the team is allowing him to use Sarasota to get into game shape to see if there is anything there.
@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-working-out-miguel-tejada-20120504,0,7074253.story

This makes little sense in my view.

I personally do not see the harm in it, unless he somehow takes time away from a prospect that matters.
@mikeghg

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport...out-tejada.html

"Jumping topics here, executive vice president Dan Duquette said infielder Miguel Tejada will take a physical Monday in Sarasota. If he passes it, Tejada will sign a minor league deal - Duquette called it an "Aberdeen contract" - and work out at extended spring training.

Tejada wouldn't get paid until he joined a team, and contrary to some reports, the Orioles haven't signed him yet. In a sense, we're talking about a tryout. The Orioles will let him go if they aren't impressed.

"He would like to get back into playing, and it looks like he played pretty good defense last year for the Giants at third base. He has been a productive right-handed bat, so we'll see if he still has more to offer offensively," Duquette said.

"There will be an evaluation period, seven to 10 days. We'll see what kind of shape he's in and how he does. He has a lot of enthusiasm for Baltimore, obviously, and he's a good, veteran player. He came to us and said he's still interested in playing ball. He lives in (south) Florida. And I think he still has an apartment in Baltimore."

Asked if the Orioles have actually agreed to terms, Duquette said, "Yeah, but we're not going to be paying him to play in extended spring. It's an evaluation period. He's going to report and he's going to have a physical and if he passes the physical we're going to sign him to a minor league deal and then we're going to take a look at him.

"He didn't like the way last year turned out and he still thinks he has something left in the tank."

Tejada hasn't played since February in the Caribbean World Series."

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Never hurts to have depth in the form of decent glove work at 3B and possibly SS.

Right, which is why this move is an issue :D

#10 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I know it is confusing and makes little sense but I have had some time to think about it. What does it really hurt? Let's say Tejada got in good shape and can produce even just a little bit, maybe he can be an asset. He is always sure handed on defense and maybe he can add something at the plate. It's a minor league deal so it really has no commitment from the Orioles. Him being in the bigs is not promised and this is a way to see if he can add something. If not, they either let him play in the minors or part ways. Low risk, possibly good reward. Never hurts.
@Langley486

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Dempsey's Army: Tejada coming back to Baltimore, I try and figure out why
http://dempseysarmy....-baltimore.html

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Eh, whatever I suppose. Like was said, maybe it's just a good faith thing. Who knows, maybe he has a bit left?

I highly doubt it, but considering in years past this was the kind of player that the O's would bring in to start at 3B, a minor league deal is okay. Low risk, low reward, really.

@AdamWolff

#13 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Eh, whatever I suppose. Like was said, maybe it's just a good faith thing. Who knows, maybe he has a bit left?

I highly doubt it, but considering in years past this was the kind of player that the O's would bring in to start at 3B, a minor league deal is okay. Low risk, low reward, really.

Who knows, it could be high reward if he is in top shape and that is a big IF.
@Langley486

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

MASN is reporting Tejada will report to AAA.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

MASN is reporting Tejada will report to AAA.

Why, did his car break down leaving Sarasota?

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Through 3 games: 2 for 10, 2 rbi, and a walk.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

As a Minor League deal, I do not think it is of much consequence; but it is interesting.

Thinking about this a bit more... Tejada has always been on good terms with the organization. Assume it is, "I still want to try and play.. please give me a chance." O's didn't owe it to him, but I guess somewhat classy to do it. Minor League move doesn't hurt anyone. Sub .600 OPS in 322 ab's last year... hard to imagine where he could fit in.

Not sure if he's always been on "good terms" with the O's, remember when he wanted a change of scenery and demanded a trade then toned it down somewhat?(eventually it happened a year later with Houston).

All-in-all, I have very little problem with the O's making this move. Minor league deals are usually harmless.
@levineps

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Overall: 7 for 18, 0 xbh's, 4 rbi, 1 bb, 2 k's.

#19 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

Overall: 11 for 29, 1 xbh, 5 rbi, 2 bb, 2 k's.

@AdamWolff

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

5/29: 1 for 4, bb, 2 rbi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=