#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

I do think that average joe's tend to enjoy the "luxuries" more due to the scarcity of which they get to enjoy them. If I had a yacht and was retired, I might get tired of being out at sea whenever I wanted to.

Wait, who am I kidding, I really wouldn't. Not at all.

But I do think that's sort of how it works with rich people. The novelty wears off.

• Oriole85 likes this

#22 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I do think that average joe's tend to enjoy the "luxuries" more due to the scarcity of which they get to enjoy them. If I had a yacht and was retired, I might get tired of being out at sea whenever I wanted to.

Wait, who am I kidding, I really wouldn't. Not at all.

But I do think that's sort of how it works with rich people. The novelty wears off.

There's some truth to this.  When I lived in Florida, I rarely, if ever, thought about going to the beach even though it was 5 minutes away.  The sense of urgency is gone, so I guess it encourages apathy.  

@fuzydunlop

#23 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil: which while some have coveted after....and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Tim. 6:10

Not to preach, but the word love is often left out of this when people quote it. That is to say, money in and of itself is NOT evil. It can make things more comfortable which is nice. After all, who doesn't want to be comfortable?

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil: which while some have coveted after....and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Tim. 6:10

Not to preach, but the word love is often left out of this when people quote it. That is to say, money in and of itself is NOT evil. It can make things more comfortable which is nice. After all, who doesn't want to be comfortable?

1st of all... sell crazy somewhere else! ;)

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, this is a case where, while not practical to live off (the bible) of verbatim, is a great parable to take into account. 

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

It doesn't hurt....having money allows you to do things you love, own things you want, not stress over bills, etc...

However, it shouldn't consume you. I look at my brother...drives a Ferrari, has several Mercedes, a huge house, etc...but he works so much that he doesn't get to enjoy them as much as he would like and work also causes him to miss out on time with his kids.

I don't want that. I want to be able to be wealthy....but wealth isn't always defined by money.

A solid combo of being comfortable money wise but still having time to enjoy yourself, your children, etc....is the best way to go IMO.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#26 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

I'll let Daniel Tosh handle this one for me...

#27 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

All I know is it can't buy me love.

I'd like to be afforded the opportunity to test that theory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=