#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Name the funny ones, good ones, crappy ones, etc etc.

My worst job was probably Hollywood Video in Beltway Plaza during my years in College Park.  The amount of stoned people that would come in on a Friday night asking to rent a video that just came out in the theaters was mind blowing.  "Do you all got 'Snow Dogs' starring Cuba Gooding, Jr.?"  "uh no, but you can go next store to the movie theater to watch it."

<blank stare>

"ok"

I delivered pizzas for a local pizza shop during the summer between college graduation and first year of law school (note to anyone considering law school:  take a year or two off and work, trust me).  Anyway, my first day this car dealership orders some sort of pasta dish and, being a greasy pizza joint, the bowl gets overloaded with grease and sauce, so much that it's spilling all over the place.  I walk into the dealership and, since it's nice and clean in there, I have nowhere to go with this mess of food except into the bathroom lol.  So I go in and clean off the bowl while setting the bag of food on the CHILD KOALA CARE STATION.  I leave the bathroom and the guy is standing there.  "Did you just bring my food into the bathroom with you?"

"Uh yea...."

"please go back to the restaurant and get me another one."

I worked at Safeway in high school, decent gig, not a lot of manager oversight.  Being in the union always ensured constant raises.

Best job, though, was one summer working grounds crew at a golf course.  It sucked starting at 6 am, but after the morning work (cutting the grass, watering) once the members took the course, we'd spend roughly 3/4 of the day f'ing around, racing golf carts or finding some trees to park the carts under and take a nap.  Unreal job.

• You Play to Win the Game, Oriole85, Icterus galbula and 1 other like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

I got "released from seasonal work" from Lowes in white marsh after I laughed at a fat woman who slipped in a giant puddle and the window A/C unit she was carrying flew 15 feet into the air. The best part is we were just talking about how awesome it would be if someone fell into it about 20 seconds before it happens.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

@fuzydunlop

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

I got "released from seasonal work" from Lowes in white marsh after I laughed at a fat woman who slipped in a giant puddle and the window A/C unit she was carrying flew 15 feet into the air. The best part is we were just talking about how awesome it would be if someone fell into it about 20 seconds before it happens.

Lol, did you ever have to explain that at subsequent job interviews?

@bopper33

#4 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Lol, did you ever have to explain that at subsequent job interviews?
Nah joined the CG shortly after. I have other stories. I used to deliver the sun all through high school. In Dundalk. One drugged out chick kinda gave me a handy in a parking lot.
  • Icterus galbula likes this

@fuzydunlop

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Nah joined the CG shortly after. I have other stories. I used to deliver the sun all through high school. In Dundalk. One drugged out chick kinda gave me a handy in a parking lot.

Welp, we can probably close this thread.  McNulty wins.

• McNulty likes this

@bopper33

#6 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hahaha it's not as great as it sounds. I'll have to tell you that one over a silver bullet sometime this summer.

@fuzydunlop

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hahaha it's not as great as it sounds. I'll have to tell you that one over a silver bullet sometime this summer.

D plan.  Name the game.

@bopper33

#8 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

D plan.  Name the game.
You got it. First May game probably. You did ask about "jobs" I've had.

@fuzydunlop

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Well, I won't go into specifics, but one of my first jobs was McDonald's, and there were definitely quite a few sexual situations there. Anywho, that was the best-worst job I could have hoped for, mainly because the people I worked with were just awesome. My best friend and I met there, and many other friends I still hang out with today. We did so much messed up shit there, never anything like gross to food or anything, we weren't complete douche bags... but just pranks we'd pull over the drive-thru and stuff like that. My favorite was telling people to "launch their order"... and if they hesitated at all, I'd let them tell me their whole spiel, then wait like 5 seconds and ask if they're ready to order yet and make them repeat it. Haha, such an asshole.

I won't miss that retail/restaurant environment at all though. People are just dicks, and you can be having the best day ever and some jackass comes in and just shits all over it. I remember this one night, 2 people called out, and I was the only register open on the lobby. Some irate lady, who had just gotten in line, only like 3 people in front of her, was like, this is "f'ing insane, they need to open up another GD register". So I said, good idea. I left, went into the office, pulled out another cash tray, and opened up the lane right next to the one I had been operating, and then proceeded to help the next customer. She huffed and puffed and stormed out of the store, and the other people waiting in line were just cracking up laughing. I committed so many fireable offenses there (then again I was 15-17) I can't even remember off the top of my head.

• BobPhelan likes this

#10 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

I've only had two jobs. Perry Hall Liquors from 18 to 24 and the post office from 20 to now (27). Plenty of interesting and fun memories from the liquor store. Having a ping pong table in the back towards the end was fun.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

I've only had two jobs. Perry Hall Liquors from 18 to 24 and the post office from 20 to now (27). Plenty of interesting and fun memories from the liquor store. Having a ping pong table in the back towards the end was fun.

From the liquor store days, any kids show up in suits, because that supposedly makes you look older?

@levineps

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'm a banker now of course, and am in a really good position/area so I'm happy... that said, my entry into the bank was a teller position at a branch that was inside a grocery store. What an adventure that was. It freakin' sucked. Worked my way up quickly, but was in that branch for like 4 years. Nothing like selling a mutual fund to a customer and hearing the clerk on the loud speaker asking an associate to clean up baby poo in aisle 6. Then again, in-store branches very seldom got robbed. Too many eyes.

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Worked as a well driller with my dad and brother in the summer through high school and college.

Worked at Staples in Westminster all through college.  Oddly, it was a tremendous place to meet girls.  All the college girls from Western Maryland / McDaniel would come in, and I knew many of them since I went there as well.  Like many college kids working a get-me-through job, I also committed many fireable offenses.

After college I got a job in Halethorpe working for a small company that makes telescope lenses - like, the huge ones that go into observatories.  Not nearly as interesting as it sounds.  I worked there for about 2 years, and in those 2 years we made 2 lenses.

Which brings me to my current job as an electrical engineer for a test lab in Hunt Valley.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Worked as a well driller with my dad and brother in the summer through high school and college.

Worked at Staples in Westminster all through college.  Oddly, it was a tremendous place to meet girls.  All the college girls from Western Maryland / McDaniel would come in, and I knew many of them since I went there as well.  Like many college kids working a get-me-through job, I also committed many fireable offenses.

After college I got a job in Halethorpe working for a small company that makes telescope lenses - like, the huge ones that go into observatories.  Not nearly as interesting as it sounds.  I worked there for about 2 years, and in those 2 years we made 2 lenses.

Which brings me to my current job as an electrical engineer for a test lab in Hunt Valley.

For some reason this made me laugh very hard.

@bopper33

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

My first job was as a laborer for a brick mason (my uncle) the summer I turned 16. The work day started at 6 and sometimes went til 6 PM; worked like 60 hours one week. It was tough work, but I didn't mind other than the long hours at times, plus I got to spend some quality time with my uncle and the pay was good.

#16 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

For some reason this made me laugh very hard.

Good :)

In fairness we probably made about 10-15 smaller lenses.  But I worked on the large ones - like, 3-4 meters in diameter.  And no joke, we did 2 in the 2 years I was there.

One day my boss - who was a really, really odd dude - dropped a lens and cracked it on the inside.  He yelled "Nooooooooo - it faiiiiiiiiiiiiiiled!!" and went into his office sobbing hysterically.  Like, the whole facility could hear him.  Me and a buddy of mine who worked there left early that day and went and played some disc golf.

• mweb08 and Pedro Cerrano like this

#17 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

From the liquor store days, any kids show up in suits, because that supposedly makes you look older?

Not that I can recall but plenty of bad attempts. Just because you have some semblance of facial hair doesn't mean I'm not gonna check for ID.

"Can I see your ID?"

"Oh, uh, I... left it in the car?"

"Sorry bud"

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

My worst job I was never compensated for. So I was living at home, couldn't find anything out of college. I apply for something off monster.com I think. It was a sales job, going door-to-door to upgrade people's houses. I absolutely hate that more than anything when people are soliciting, of course, they won't admit what they're doing is soliciting and point out it's legal. My mom is pressuring to get a job, any job. These jobs don't even pay, it's all commission.

So I do the interview, I get it. I think they hire just about everyone, after all, worst thing that happens is I do a sh*tty job and they don't have to pay me anyways. I knew as soon as I got there for my first day training, I was likely not going to do it but I wanted to give a chance. And I hardly ever quit anything. It's absolutely freezing. We're at lunch and I call my mom (outside some fast food place) and tell her, I'm never doing anything like this again. So then I still have to act like I care for another 9 hours. During the middle of the day, while we're in the car and the person who is training me says that I could pass up in the company hierarchy. I couldn't control myself and just start laughing because of course I know that's not happening. The funniest thing about this place is it's an office in some nondescript building in Laurel and you are required to be dressed up whenever you are there. I forget my dress shoes and the person training me notices so I have to go put them on So yeah, it's the end of the day after we do the whole "see you tomorrow" thing. I'm thinking how the hell do I tell him, "there's no tomorrow." So I walk back into the office after I leave and just say this isn't for me.

I'm sure some people make good money doing this, but it's just not something I could envision myself doing.

@levineps

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

My friends father in law ran a baseball glove company so I stood by myself in a Costco with a display setup and tried to sell. First problem with that is that I'm not much of a salesman, especially in that type of situation. Second problem is who the hell goes to Costco to buy a baseball glove?!?!? Incredibly boring short-term job.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

I did door to door fundraising on the side for a couple years for local fire departments. It was lovely interrupting people's dinner. That job was awful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=