• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Betemit is your problem for Nick, not Reynolds or Davis. In the pecking order it SHOULD go: Davis, Reynolds, Johnson, Betemit. With 1B, 3B, DH, and temporarily RF to figure out.
@JeremyMStrain

#22 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Betemit is your problem for Nick, not Reynolds or Davis. In the pecking order it SHOULD go: Davis, Reynolds, Johnson, Betemit. With 1B, 3B, DH, and temporarily RF to figure out.

This. Davis losing PAs to these guys is ridiculous.

And actually, FWIW, Trea's solution isn't terrible. Though I think the O's should work out something with the Cubs so they can send flaherty down when B-Rob is ready. Then use Betemit, Tolleson, Reynolds @ 3B, Reynolds, Pearce @ LF, Davis @ 1B, Johnson @ DH.
@JeffLongBP

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

No, he's just saying Johnson should have more ab's than Paulino.

I agree with Trea's point overall, and have made it several times. After his 2 homer game 5/23, Johnson has had 12 ab's in the subsequent 14 games.

Showalter should not be afraid to play Johnson against LHP. I like the ab's Johnson has had overall since his season starting slump. I'd like to see him stay on the roster and be used.

However, if you are not going to find him any more time than you have... then I probably cut Johnson when Roberts comes back Tuesday, and keep Tolleson on the roster. Tolleson's versatility might be better utilized in the coming road interleague games anyway.

I gotcha. I can't really disagree, I suppose. I don't think it's that big a deal either. I'm not sure why they don't try Reynolds in the OF - but I trust that Buck and company don't like him out there. With that being the case, that makes the PT at 1B/DH be between Reynolds, Davis and Johnson. I much prefer Reynolds and Davis over Johnson. If they could move Reynolds to the OF, that would take AB's away from Betemit (Which I'd be okay with), but that just doesn't appear to be an option (or at least not in Buck's eyes).

#24 vatech1994

vatech1994

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

I have been surprised at how few at bats Nick Johnson has received over the last 20 games so I don't really disagree with the main premise of the thread, but I've just got to point out that since Trea made this thread Flaherty has an RBI single yesterday and Tolleson hit a huge 3 run homer today. The tradition continues... :lol:

Something is going to give in the very near future with the roster construction.

Roberts will be back on Tuesday. My guess is that Tolleson heads back to AAA.

Markakis will likely be back by 6/24. Who goes then? I'd like to see the Orioles move either Reynolds or Betemit because I like Pearce on this team as a lefty masher with power off the bench. Will it happen? I hope so.

If Pearce stays around through the Markakis return, I'd guess that either Pearce would be sent out when Reimold returns. I'd rather get rid of Nick Johnson than Pearce who looks versatile enough to handle either corner OF position and 1B.

I personally hope they find a taker for Reynolds because he is expensive and send out Nick Johnson for a minor leaguer type over the next few weeks.

The positional roster would be:
C Wieters
C Paulino
1B/3B Davis
1B/OF Pearce
2B Roberts
2B/3B/SS Andino
SS Hardy
3B/OF Betemit
LF Reimold
CF Jones
RF Markakis
Utility IF/OF Flaherty
Utility OF Chavez

I'd also be fine with Chavez being the guy who gets traded, but ideally I think you need to keep him as CF back up.

I know it seems a little crazy to go so far to keep Steve Pearce, but I like what I see from this guy. He can play the OF enough to keep us out of trouble (at worst) and I think the guy can hit quite a bit if he is used correctly. He won't get on as much as Nick Johnson, but he is more versatile defensively, has more power, is faster, and is younger. I try to keep him if I can.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and SammyBirdland like this

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hey vatech... it's very good to see you, how've you been?

As for Pearce, how/why do you think he's a legit masher? Not saying he isn't, just saying I kinda assumed he was a AAAA guy... but I never thought about it much... so, I'd like to better understand your view of him...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Well said. Davis and Reynolds need to play. Johnson should split time with Betemit. I really think Buck realizes how fragile Johnson is. In addition using past stats to evaluate Johnson is probably not wise. He has been inactive for so long, you have to wonder if past tendencies hold true.

One other thing...Flaherty, and Tolleson do have some value to the team, where as, Bynum and Fahey were just 25th men type. Flaherty is on scholarship right now, but there are things to like about him and I think he will develop into a decent player. Tolleson is a hard nosed kid who plays pretty good D, and as today showed can do some damage to left handers.
@mikeghg

#27 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

As for Pearce, how/why do you think he's a legit masher? Not saying he isn't, just saying I kinda assumed he was a AAAA guy... but I never thought about it much... so, I'd like to better understand your view of him...

Chris Davis, Nelson Cruz, Brian LaHair were all "AAAA" types. No reason Pearce can't succeed.
@JeffLongBP

#28 vatech1994

vatech1994

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm doing well. Nice to see you on the boards again. I caught your tale on OH before things went south. Sorry for your troubles. Hope the better half can manage the RA.

I don't think Pearce is a 600 AB guy in the majors, but I think he could be a 300 AB guy with an 850+ OPS if he is used well. I'm extrapolating to get there, but I see a guy who understands what he does well and tries to do that. He has very, very big power for sure. I've seen him miss several balls and almost get them out of the park already. Not quite Davis big power, but maybe Reynolds big. What has most surprised me is how athletic he looks in left and on the bases. I think this guy could be a very useful Gary Roenicke-type if used correctly. Time will tell. I hate to lose Nick Johnson, but you have to think the odds are high that he'll eventually get injured and he could leave at the end of the year if he stays healthy.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

The ABs aren't going to increase for Johnson. As our hurt guys come back, there will be less ABs to go around. It starts with Roberts. If he comes back primarily as a DH then what happens to those ABs that normally go to Davis, Johnson, Betemit, etc?

Could an offensive-starved team pick up the phone? Maybe give us some bullpen help or MiLeague depth?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Reynolds needs to be at third or put him in the OF.

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hey, I actually agree with Trea. Johnson should be starting at least semi-often.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hey, I actually agree with Trea. Johnson should be starting at least semi-often.

And since he's not, they should DFA him.

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'm doing well. Nice to see you on the boards again. I caught your tale on OH before things went south. Sorry for your troubles. Hope the better half can manage the RA.

I don't think Pearce is a 600 AB guy in the majors, but I think he could be a 300 AB guy with an 850+ OPS if he is used well. I'm extrapolating to get there, but I see a guy who understands what he does well and tries to do that. He has very, very big power for sure. I've seen him miss several balls and almost get them out of the park already. Not quite Davis big power, but maybe Reynolds big. What has most surprised me is how athletic he looks in left and on the bases. I think this guy could be a very useful Gary Roenicke-type if used correctly. Time will tell. I hate to lose Nick Johnson, but you have to think the odds are high that he'll eventually get injured and he could leave at the end of the year if he stays healthy.

Tech, great to see you posting here. If I would have actively recruited anybody on the Hangout to post here you are the 1st guy I would have PMd .Anyway, agree with you on Pearce.

I guess Tolleson will likely go when BRob comes back but really it does feel like it's just a matter of time before Johnson is DFA. I mean you can't have 4 primary 1b/DHs. I guess Betemit can be considered a 3b/DH but still. I actually like Johnson but we need better roster balance.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Anyone heard anything about him? I assume we won't be seeing him the rest of the year(and probably ever again).
@levineps

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Anyone heard anything about him? I assume we won't be seeing him the rest of the year(and probably ever again).

I read a note about him in the Sun awhile back and he is done for the year. It is his wrist again. I think we have seen the last of Nick. Maybe baseball has too. It is a shame as he could really hit.
@mikeghg

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

I read a note about him in the Sun awhile back and he is done for the year. It is his wrist again. I think we have seen the last of Nick. Maybe baseball has too. It is a shame as he could really hit.

We got him on the cheap, he's been declining for years. Can't say I'm too surprised. He had a nice career, a lot longer than most players, just a shame he couldn't stay healthy.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=