#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

I know this will be interpreted as a "woe is me" post, but I feel like all my teams (absent the Lakers) have an inordinate amount of bad luck crap piled onto them.

Hey, at least you have the Orioles ;)

#22 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Okay so after readin and gathering everything throught twitter and everything I possibly can, I have a few things to say on this.

First is that Stoglin needs to be held accountable no matter how much of a star at Maryland he is. He clearly has voilated the rules too many times and was set to pay the punishment for it. Had not option but to leave. Seems like that's why Parker transferred too.

Second, it's good to see Maryland take action. They didn't try to cover anything up; they made a public release on it showing that it matters to the university.That is a good thing to see.

Third thing I want to mention is Stoglin clearly is remorseful about this. People have tweeted to him saying bad things about Maryland and saying he can do better and all he responds with is "I wish I could stay." He clearly does care and just has poor judgement. It's sad to see him go because he won't get drafted by my estimation but I certainly do wish him the best.

Note: He did retweet something that said Maryland basketball was screwed, but I saw more remorsful tweets from him than selfish ones (I only saw one). I'll take that over one retweet.
@Langley486

#23 Eric Radom

Eric Radom
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I called this unfortunately. My gut just told me that he would get too big of a head scoring all those points, and think he was ready for the NBA. I was really happy to be wrong when he said he was coming back, but then this. I saw a random person comment on ESPN that it was failed drug tests, not that that means anything. It could be anything.

This will hurt the terps next year big time. This will hurt Stoglin big time as well. He really isn't ready to play in the NBA, and it will be interesting to see where or if he gets drafted. Teams have to take into account that he is in the draft only because he had no choice.

I wonder if he ever considered taking the suspension and then playing his senior season. Would that really be that crazy?
@ericfansfantasy

#24 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I called this unfortunately. My gut just told me that he would get too big of a head scoring all those points, and think he was ready for the NBA. I was really happy to be wrong when he said he was coming back, but then this. I saw a random person comment on ESPN that it was failed drug tests, not that that means anything. It could be anything.

This will hurt the terps next year big time. This will hurt Stoglin big time as well. He really isn't ready to play in the NBA, and it will be interesting to see where or if he gets drafted. Teams have to take into account that he is in the draft only because he had no choice.

I wonder if he ever considered taking the suspension and then playing his senior season. Would that really be that crazy?

It was because of the suspension he left, not that he wanted to leave. He had no choice at this point. He is a head case in the sense he believes more in himself than anyone else does. He actually did want to come back to improve his stock for the NBA which he would have done with a better Maryland team this year. He would have become more all-around with assists and points which would have made him a 1st round prospect. He left due to suspension, not because he thought he was ready.
@Langley486

#25 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

I heard a rumor that the breach of the Conduct Code was drug-related. I'm not buying it because I believe that would likely have to be multiple failed tests, and it's highly unlikely that wouldn't have leaked by now. Then again, it's very possible that UMD has an especially tough no-drugs policy in place after the Bias fiasco.

As of right now, Stoglin isn't even on the board anywhere. No one has him even getting picked. Most places rank him as somewhere between the 70th and 80th best prospect in the draft. Only 60 players get taken.

He's going to have to a) answer character questions about his suspension and b) perform especially well in pre-draft camps and tryouts to have any chance of moving into the late second round.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

He won't get drafted and will end up playing overseas IMO.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

I heard a rumor that the breach of the Conduct Code was drug-related. I'm not buying it because I believe that would likely have to be multiple failed tests, and it's highly unlikely that wouldn't have leaked by now. Then again, it's very possible that UMD has an especially tough no-drugs policy in place after the Bias fiasco.

As of right now, Stoglin isn't even on the board anywhere. No one has him even getting picked. Most places rank him as somewhere between the 70th and 80th best prospect in the draft. Only 60 players get taken.

He's going to have to a) answer character questions about his suspension and b) perform especially well in pre-draft camps and tryouts to have any chance of moving into the late second round.

He failed a drug test multiple times, pot.

He is a 2G in a PG body, without the skills of a PG. He does have excellent speed. He does have an ability to create, and get into the lane. He does have scoring ability (obviously).

I can see him working his way into the 2nd round somewhere, but I agree with Pedro that he likely goes to Europe next year. Get some additional experience, and will try and make an NBA roster the following year. Going to Europe to play PG, would probably be the best thing he could do.

#28 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

He failed a drug test multiple times, pot.

He is a 2G in a PG body, without the skills of a PG. He does have excellent speed. He does have an ability to create, and get into the lane. He does have scoring ability (obviously).

I can see him working his way into the 2nd round somewhere, but I agree with Pedro that he likely goes to Europe next year. Get some additional experience, and will try and make an NBA roster the following year. Going to Europe to play PG, would probably be the best thing he could do.

Chris, I do attend a D1 program school and a lot of stuff flys under the radar because these athletes get a lot of chances It's known as the 3 strike policy. It's not in the rules or code of conduct, but schools tend to give these athletes a few chances before suspending them. I think it's a chance for them to clean up but sometimes they get too many chances and in this case, he got too many. Unfortunate to see.
@Langley486

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

He is clearly upset, and emotional right now. Obviously feeling anger. Also clear he would like to be back.

For him to be suspended for a year, indicates multiple infractions. So, he has to take responsibility for that. I don't think I'd go as far as to call him selfish.

Oh well, best to him. Time for MD to look forward I guess.

Anyone who follows him on Twitter shouldn't be surprised in the least. He has RT'd pro-marijuana accounts all the time. Even if MD takes a step back this year because of this, I think they are a better team in the long-run for having high standards for it's players. Kudos to Turgeon and MD athletics on this one.

In regards to Stoglin, just idiotic on his part to waste his talent if the allegations are true.
@levineps

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Ugggghhhh....great way to start Monday. Looks like another .500 year in the ACC and another miss in the NCAA tourney

With Stoglin, I would have said MD should have started in the Top 25, and been capable of winning the Conference.
Without Stoglin, MD is probably still in the Top 5 in the ACC, but 4th or 5th. Capable of getting to the Tournament still, but instead of thinking about doing damage in March, most of the year will be spent just clawing to get there.

I think going from missing the NIT to winning the ACC with or without Stoglin is a bit far-fetched. Making the Tournament was probably a good goal to shoot for for a team that isn't a regular in it anymore.
@levineps

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

I think going from missing the NIT to winning the ACC with or without Stoglin is a bit far-fetched. Making the Tournament was probably a good goal to shoot for for a team that isn't a regular in it anymore.

Nothing far fetched about it, they would have the same uniform, but be a completely different team.

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Nothing far fetched about it, they would have the same uniform, but be a completely different team.

How many teams make that kind of jump in BCS conferences? They've missed the NIT two years in a row, haven't made it past the round of 32 in nearly a decade, I don't think they are going to the top of one of the premier conferences all the sudden.
@levineps

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Third thing I want to mention is Stoglin clearly is remorseful about this. People have tweeted to him saying bad things about Maryland and saying he can do better and all he responds with is "I wish I could stay." He clearly does care and just has poor judgement. It's sad to see him go because he won't get drafted by my estimation but I certainly do wish him the best.

Note: He did retweet something that said Maryland basketball was screwed, but I saw more remorsful tweets from him than selfish ones (I only saw one). I'll take that over one retweet.

Good to see him taking responsibility, but too little to late. Reminds me of after the Duke game when he complained about PT. He only "gets it" after the fact. Hopefully, this is really the last time, he screws up like this and truly does learn from this.
@levineps

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

If your options are playing in Europe (or D-League) immediately versus having to sit out to play one season, essentially the same rules as transferring, I think this was a good decision on his part. He would have a lot to prove senior year if he were to have waited. Now he can try to play his way into the NBA and get paid at the same time.
@levineps

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

How many teams make that kind of jump in BCS conferences? They've missed the NIT two years in a row, haven't made it past the round of 32 in nearly a decade, I don't think they are going to the top of one of the premier conferences all the sudden.

Are you suggesting that what MD has done the past decade has baring on next year? If so, why?

Teams make that type of jump all the time. Heck, MD has even recently made a similar jump. '08-'09, the Terps were 7-9 in league play. In '09-'10, the Terps were 13-3 and tied with Duke atop the ACC standings. (Some of us predicted that at the time.)

This is college. Players on on all schools consistently change. There is jump in production with players as they mature (physically and mentally), gain opportunity, and recruits can drastically change the landscape.

Even without Stoglin, MD will have a chance to win the ACC next year. It just becomes a bit less plausible.

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Are you suggesting that what MD has done the past decade has baring on next year? If so, why?

Teams make that type of jump all the time. Heck, MD has even recently made a similar jump. '08-'09, the Terps were 7-9 in league play. In '09-'10, the Terps were 13-3 and tied with Duke atop the ACC standings. (Some of us predicted that at the time.)

This is college. Players on on all schools consistently change. There is jump in production with players as they mature (physically and mentally), gain opportunity, and recruits can drastically change the landscape.

Even without Stoglin, MD will have a chance to win the ACC next year. It just becomes a bit less plausible.

Well I'm less optimistic based on that. Let's put it this way if they had made the tournament for ten straight years, would you suddenly predict even if it warranted them missing the NIT? Not saying it should be the case.

They didn't miss the NIT in '10-11 for two straight years and had a much stronger core returning led by Vasquez with Hayes and Millbourne complimenting him, all seniors too. And if Lucious didn't make that shot, they could've had a good run.

In terms of the landscape, this isn't Kentucky or anything close to that. I guess my expectations are a bit more modest than yours.
@levineps

#37 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

I have to disagree in one regard. The year Vasquez was a senior, that was a team that if Lucious doesn't hit that 3, that's a final four team, I have no doubts about that. They have a lot of positives moving forward like great recruiting and great coaching. Noone thinks that they're ascending to the top within the next year but 2 years? Definitely possible.
@Langley486

#38 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have to disagree in one regard. The year Vasquez was a senior, that was a team that if Lucious doesn't hit that 3, that's a final four team, I have no doubts about that. They have a lot of positives moving forward like great recruiting and great coaching. Noone thinks that they're ascending to the top within the next year but 2 years? Definitely possible.

Did you see my comment above with the Lucious reference? I'm not going to get that far as saying that's a "final four" team because anything can happen in the tournament as we've seen in recent years, but it's definitely a possibility. Survive and advance is the name of the game. The "if" game is always a fun to play, but you really have to back through every situation to truly play it.
@levineps

#39 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Oh Orioles I didn't catch it. I apologize for that!
@Langley486

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Stoglin went undrafted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=