• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Inside MD Sports reported (http://maryland.247s...NBA-Draft-72126) this morning that Stoglin and MD's Coaches have come to a mutual decision for Stoglin to exit the program, and that he will declare for the Draft.

Just horrible news for the MD program, no matter how it is spun by anyone.

I don't want to hear about 'addition by subtraction', that is a ridiculous point to make here. The back-and-forth between Stoglin and Coach Turgeon was well documented last year. It seemed to receive a lot less publicity, when Turgeon was enthusiastic about his praise about Stoglin, which occurred far more often than any comments towards the negative.

Someone tell me what changed, between the time Stoglin announced he was coming back 5 weeks ago, to now?

Even with Stoglin, MD's guard situation was still somewhat thin going into this Fall. Without Stoglin, the roster looks like:

2012-13
Guards: Faust (Soph) Howard (Jr), Allen (Freshman), Cassell Jr. (Freshman)
Wings: Layman (Freshman)
Bigs: Padgett (Sr), Pankey (Soph), Len (Soph), Cleare (Freshman), Mitchell (Freshman), Dodd (RS)

I guess the biggest benefactor of Stoglin leaving might be Layman. Layman was going to play major minutes no matter what, but now he probably starts at the 3, and probably rarely shares minutes on the wing with Faust.

A whole lot more is now going to be asked from Allen, and Cassell Jr. They go from being reserves that could be spotted in, to playing much more significant minutes. You also go from hoping that Howard will return to health and perform, to needing that to happen.

As long as Len does not decide to bolt back to the Ukraine, there is still a lot to like about the roster. The Front-court is going to be strong and deep. Layman excites all the Recruiting Analysts, and Faust seems poised to break out in a major way. Just don't believe anyone that tells you MD is be 'better off' by parting ways with a known scorer.

People took shots at Stoglin for firing too many shots. To me, he was on a poor offense, and often the only guy (until Faust improved late in the year) that was regularly looking for his shot. Stoglin averaged 21.6 ppg last year. On 7.4 attempts per game, he averaged 38% from 3.

The best thing for him, and the MD program, would have been him returning to a better team.

A mutual decision for him to leave the program, sounds like a mutually bad decision.

EDIT: Jeff Barker (Baltimore Sun) tweeted that Stoglin and Parker left after a year suspension for a violation of the University of Maryland Student-Athlete Code of Conduct.

So, without speculating on the reasons why, there is now understanding of why this decision had to occur mutually for both parties. The best to Stoglin, and time to look forward for Maryland.

#2 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Ugggghhhh....great way to start Monday. Looks like another .500 year in the ACC and another miss in the NCAA tourney
@brobey1

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Ugggghhhh....great way to start Monday. Looks like another .500 year in the ACC and another miss in the NCAA tourney

With Stoglin, I would have said MD should have started in the Top 25, and been capable of winning the Conference.
Without Stoglin, MD is probably still in the Top 5 in the ACC, but 4th or 5th. Capable of getting to the Tournament still, but instead of thinking about doing damage in March, most of the year will be spent just clawing to get there.

#4 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Wonder if this had any impact on Cassell recommitting to MD?
@brobey1

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

It probably did not hurt, but Cassell personally seemed locked-in before. Cassell looking around at USF, and 'Nova, etc seemed more about his Dad.

To me, this reads as Coach Turgeon pushed Stoglin out, just as much as Stoglin decided to leave. Very frustrating.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Speculation is this was an off court decision. Possibly academics. I think we heard rumors that Stoglin wasn't going to class much if at all during the 2nd semester.

I won't pretend this is addition by subtraction or won't hurt, especially early in the season but I also don't believe it's the dagger a lot of people are making it out to be. Bottom line was Stoglin took too many shots. He needed the ball in his hands a lot and the flow of the offense stopped when the ball was in his hands. Think Carmelo on a college level. Talented enough where when he is on he can carry you but when he is off he's going to continue to shoot, stop the flow of the offense and can hurt the team. Now, when you're as untalented as we were last year, you can go ahead and just let him chuck away even when he is off because the players around him weren't going to make a difference anyway. For '12-'13 things would have had to be different. Maybe Turg and Stoglin had come to an agreement on his playing style for now but who knows what would have happened come November. For me it comes down to my belief in this '12 recruiting class. I think as a whole they can really make up the loss of Stoglin, maybe not until mid January, but eventually I think you'll see this team playing good basketball.

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

It probably did not hurt, but Cassell personally seemed locked-in before. Cassell looking around at USF, and 'Nova, etc seemed more about his Dad.

To me, this reads as Coach Turgeon pushed Stoglin out, just as much as Stoglin decided to leave. Very frustrating.

Completely disagree. If Turg didn't want him back they wouldn't have agreed on him coming back initially. Now, again maybe something has changed in the last month or so that changed Turg'es mind about wanting Stoglin back but I don't think Turge was encouraging him to leave ala Parker.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Speculation is this was an off court decision. Possibly academics. I think we heard rumors that Stoglin wasn't going to class much if at all during the 2nd semester.

I won't pretend this is addition by subtraction or won't hurt, especially early in the season but I also don't believe it's the dagger a lot of people are making it out to be. Bottom line was Stoglin took too many shots. He needed the ball in his hands a lot and the flow of the offense stopped when the ball was in his hands. Think Carmelo on a college level. Talented enough where when he is on he can carry you but when he is off he's going to continue to shoot, stop the flow of the offense and can hurt the team. Now, when you're as untalented as we were last year, you can go ahead and just let him chuck away even when he is off because the players around him weren't going to make a difference anyway. For '12-'13 things would have had to be different. Maybe Turg and Stoglin had come to an agreement on his playing style for now but who knows what would have happened come November. For me it comes down to my belief in this '12 recruiting class. I think as a whole they can really make up the loss of Stoglin, maybe not until mid January, but eventually I think you'll see this team playing good basketball.

I agree with a lot of this. I would think that Stoglin would have adjusted his playing style with a more talented team around him though.

As I said above, as long as Len does not leave, there is still a lot to like. I do agree that this team will play good/strong basketball at some point.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Terrible news for next year.

Need to find out what changed Stoglin's mind. Gotta think there is some sort of academic or other off-court issue in play somehow here.

Gotta hope that Seth Allen and Sam Cassell Jr are ready to play major minutes right away, especially with Pe'shon's health in question.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Completely disagree. If Turg didn't want him back they wouldn't have agreed on him coming back initially. Now, again maybe something has changed in the last month or so that changed Turg'es mind about wanting Stoglin back but I don't think Turge was encouraging him to leave ala Parker.

IDK, maybe you are right. Maybe it was grades. However, if Stoglin was coming back as he stated he wanted to, you would think he would have been doing enough to come back. He also would have had the Summer to improve his grades.

To me though, with IMS using the wording 'mutual decision', I think that is kind of telling. I have not seen reports of Stoglin hiring an Agent. If he has the grades to return, and is welcomed back by Turgeon; that should still be an option.

I guess it does not matter how he departed though. The result is the same, no matter how it occurred. MD will have to move on. There are good options returning, and coming in. We will see what happens.

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

This is the first thing I thought. Looking at the timing, it's just about the end of the semester, so he was probably on academic probation and just hit the point where he couldn't bring his grades up enough to not get kicked out of school after this sem.
@JeremyMStrain

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Apparently Stogs retweeted somebody who said MD basketball is now screwed. Nice. That just confirms my beliefs in Stoglin as a selfish player and believing that he has to score 20 points every night at MD. As you guys can probably tell by the tone of my posts I've never been a huge Stoglin fan. I stand by my belief that we'll eventually find our footing and be a good. I'm telling you this is not a bad thing in the long run. He and Turg definitely would have butted heads again. As frustrated as Turg got with him at times last year it would have only been worse this year with more talent in the program.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

Jeff Barker (Baltimore Sun) just tweeted that Stoglin and Parker left after a year suspension for a violation of the University of Maryland Student-Athlete Code of Conduct.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

Jeff Barker (Baltimore Sun) just tweeted that Stoglin and Parker left after a year suspension for a violation of the University of Maryland Student-Athlete Code of Conduct.

There you go.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Apparently Stogs retweeted somebody who said MD basketball is now screwed. Nice. That just confirms my beliefs in Stoglin as a selfish player and believing that he has to score 20 points every night at MD. As you guys can probably tell by the tone of my posts I've never been a huge Stoglin fan. I stand by my belief that we'll eventually find our footing and be a good. I'm telling you this is not a bad thing in the long run. He and Turg definitely would have butted heads again. As frustrated as Turg got with him at times last year it would have only been worse this year with more talent in the program.

Here is his Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/#!/tstoglin12

I don't see that. I do see him frustrated that he does not have the option to return, saying he wished he did.

Yeah, never-mind, I do see that RT.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

He is clearly upset, and emotional right now. Obviously feeling anger. Also clear he would like to be back.

For him to be suspended for a year, indicates multiple infractions. So, he has to take responsibility for that. I don't think I'd go as far as to call him selfish.

Oh well, best to him. Time for MD to look forward I guess.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Here is his Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/#!/tstoglin12

I don't see that. I do see him frustrated that he does not have the option to return, saying he wished he did.

I'm not on twitter. Read he tweeted that at another board. Anyway, I see some people are wishing MD would have swept the code of conduct thing under the rug. Beyond the principle of actually doing something like that which I'm sure has happened before and will happen again at a lot of schools, how do we know Turge and Stoglin or Parker hadn't met before and talked conducting themselves appropriately off the court in regards to this violation. Bottom line is Parker was suspended, decided to transfer and went out praising MD and Turg. I think it's fair to assume Stoglin won't be doing to the same thing. Maturity vs immaturity. Taking responsibility vs not taking responsibility. I just hate that some people are already trying to put all of this on Turg.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Not on twitter. Read he tweeted that at another board. Anyway, I see some people are wishing MD would have swept the code of conduct thing under the rug. Beyond the principle of actually doing something like that which I'm sure has happened before and will happen again at a lot of schools, how do we know Turge and Stoglin or Parker hadn't met before and talked conducting themselves appropriately off the court in regards to this violation. Bottom line is Parker was suspended, decided to transfer and went out praising MD and Turg. I think it's fair to assume Stoglin won't be doing to the same thing.

It (the RT) was there, I missed it when I looked the first time. Edited the previous message.

Like I said in the last post. I wish Stoglin the best, all parties will now have to move forward.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

At least Duke isn't the only ACC team having a rough offseason..although MD has at least landed a good recruiting class.

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,535 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

I know this will be interpreted as a "woe is me" post, but I feel like all my teams (absent the Lakers) have an inordinate amount of bad luck crap piled onto them.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=