• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GaryArmida

GaryArmida

HOF

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Johan Santana is nothing but an upside flier for the Orioles (assuming they get it done). I also take a look at the key players in the AL East.

BSL: The Johan Santana Possiblity and Key AL East Players

http://baltimorespor...l-east-players/

@GaryArmida

#2 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

Just shocked that Santana is a relatively capable pitcher without being able to get much more than 80 mph on pitches. That's really impressive, even if it doesn't end up being effective.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Just shocked that Santana is a relatively capable pitcher without being able to get much more than 80 mph on pitches. That's really impressive, even if it doesn't end up being effective.

He was only throwing 80 at his recent workout.  I don't think there is any expectation that he'll continue to be that far down in terms of velocity, or that he can succeed if that's all the can muster.  He's not expected to be able to pitch for 3-4 months.

• PatrickDougherty likes this

#4 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I like the note about the Red Sox dirty little secret. Proof that a team can win with an outsized contribution from their bullpen.
  • GaryArmida and PatrickDougherty like this

#5 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

He was only throwing 80 at his recent workout.  I don't think there is any expectation that he'll continue to be that far down in terms of velocity, or that he can succeed if that's all the can muster.  He's not expected to be able to pitch for 3-4 months.

Got it. Misunderstood the article. Thanks! Still impressive that he could be effective in the mid-80s when starters that drop from 92 to 88 are often shelled.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#6 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

He's still building up arm strength. Reports said that his changeup was still very good. Of course, it won't be as effective as it was when he was throwing his fastball in the mid to high 90's. Seems like the O's want to use him as a lefty reliever. Kind of weird to think that Johan might wear an Orioles jersey this year. Sort of the same feeling I got when they traded for Jim Thome. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#7 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

We need to get Johan some platelets.

#8 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,864 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Don't mess with the JOHAN!!!!!! 

you-dont-mess-with-the-zohan12.jpg

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

MLB.com: Showalter encouraged with Santana's throwing program

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_bal&c_id=bal

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

Per CSN Baltimore:

Dylan Bundy and Johan Santana have made good progress in their rehabilitation, but neither is close to going out on an official rehab assignment, yet.

“One guy hasn’t even thrown a breaking ball,” manager Buck Showalter said of Bundy. “Once they’re in games, sim games, we’ll have a better idea of how they feel after they start. I’m encouraged with Johan’s velocity. I didn’t think it would come this fast.”

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Two innings in extended spring today. Four strikeouts, one hit. Fastball sitting between 87-89.

A couple more mph and then we're talking.
  • Adam Wolff likes this

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

87-89  is  good enough for Santana assuming the command is still there with that nasty change.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

87 is a little low, but not bad.  His average fastball was 88.4 in 2012 and 89.2 in 2010.  If he's close to 88 or so, he should still be able to be successful.  Obviously command and stuff will be a huge factor, though.

I think he's probably still at least a month away from being able to help, if not further.  But I do think we'll see him get a shot.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

Baltimore Sun: http://www.baltimore...0,7308350.story

Left-hander Johan Santana (left shoulder) will throw in an extended spring training game Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=