Balt Baseball: Checking up on Orioles top international prospects

#523 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2023 - 02:58 PM

I'm definitely curious to learn more about Almeyda and his decision to leave the US for the DR. I can see the potential financial motive for it, though it would seem there are more risks present too. I can't recall hearing of any other player doing that before. The cynical side of me thinks there's possibly a reason for it that has little to do with money.

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this

#524 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 January 2023 - 12:36 AM

IFA Bonus Pools announced.

$6,366,900: Athletics, Brewers, Mariners, Marlins, Rays, Reds, Tigers, Twins …..These were the teams who had picks in Competitive Balance Round-B of the 2022 draft.

$5,825,500: Diamondbacks, Guardians, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rockies, Royals …..These teams had picks in Competitive Balance Round-A of the 2022 draft.

$5,284,000: Astros, Blue Jays, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Giants, Mets, Nationals, White Sox, Yankees

$4,644,000: Angels, Phillies, Red Sox…..Each of these teams surrendered $500K from their bonus pools because they signed a qualifying offer-rejecting free agent in the 2021-22 offseason.  Los Angeles signed Noah Syndergaard, Philadelphia signed Nick Castellanos, and Boston signed Trevor Story.

$4,144,000: Dodgers, Rangers…..These teams also signed QO-rejecting free agents during the 2021-22 offseason, as Texas took $500K penalties for both Marcus Semien and Corey Seager.  Los Angeles had to give up $1MM from its pool in order to sign Freddie Freeman, as the Dodgers received double the penalty because they exceeded the luxury tax threshold in 2021.

#525 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 January 2023 - 10:20 AM

mlb.com Jesse Sanchez tracking International signings

Orioles signed one in mlb.com top 50 so far, 

20. Luis Almeyda, SS, Dominican Republic – Orioles ($2,300,000)

#526 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 10:24 AM

I'm definitely curious to learn more about Almeyda and his decision to leave the US for the DR. I can see the potential financial motive for it, though it would seem there are more risks present too. I can't recall hearing of any other player doing that before. The cynical side of me thinks there's possibly a reason for it that has little to do with money.

Found the rules.

Gotta be a resident outside of US, PR, or Canada and can't have been enrolled in high school in US, PR, or Canada in the past calendar year.

#527 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 10:29 AM

Some big bonuses going out to the top guys. Teams seem to be willing to commit almost all of their pool to land a single guy. $4.1M from Toronto, $4.4M from NYY, $4.7M from Seattle and $5.6M from San Diego.

Nothing to back this up, but I think I'd rather spread it out among two or three guys. Seems like 16 year olds would have even more volatility then HS and college draftees and there is little ability to distinguish between the top guys at those levels. Give me a few of the top 25 or so guys over one of the top 5, generally speaking.

#528 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 10:38 AM

Some big bonuses going out to the top guys. Teams seem to be willing to commit almost all of their pool to land a single guy. $4.1M from Toronto, $4.4M from NYY, $4.7M from Seattle and $5.6M from San Diego.

Nothing to back this up, but I think I'd rather spread it out among two or three guys. Seems like 16 year olds would have even more volatility then HS and college draftees and there is little ability to distinguish between the top guys at those levels.

Agree. I dont know much about the Int market but I do know there are enough hits from guys who signed modest deals and misses from big bonus guys to believe your strategy has more value

#529 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 January 2023 - 01:12 PM

Signed 27 guys and broke their record for a single signing. I’m sure they’d be happy to get guys that justify big chunks of the pool but I’m ok with the wide net approach as well.

#530 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 January 2023 - 01:38 PM

For context.

2019: 27 players signed

Notable names: Luis Ortiz, Luis Gonzalez, Moises Chace, Raul Rangel, Stiven Acevedo, Cesar Alvarez

2020-2021: 17 players signed

Notable names: Maikol Hernandez, Samuel Basallo, Anderson De Los Santos, Deivy Cruz, Angel Tejada

2021-2022: 24 players signed

Notable names: Braylin Tavera, Leonardo Arias, Edwin Amparo, Aron Estrada, Cesar Prieto, Cristian Benavides, Raylin Ramos

#531 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 01:40 PM

Well, this puts my cynical theory to rest as to why he went to the DR. Sounds like it was strictly a business decision, and seems to have paid off.

https://www.masnspor...rnational-class

Almeyda was born in the United States and grew up in New Jersey and before he entered high school, according to Baseball America, was already getting recruiting offers from some of the top programs in college baseball. Instead of staying in the United States and becoming a potential first-round pick for the 2025 high school class, Almeyda moved to the Dominican Republic and immediately drew attention. His mother and mother’s parents are from the Dominican Republic, and he qualified as an international signing.

• BobPhelan likes this

#532 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 January 2023 - 02:52 PM

Melewski's entry today tracking the IFA signings.

27 signees listed in there.

In the team announcement, Perez spoke about this class.

"We are thrilled to welcome these talented individuals and their families to Birdland,” he said. “Today’s announcement is tied for the most contract agreements to open the International signing period in Orioles history with 2019-20 – as well as the club’s highest-paid international signee, Luis Almeyda – would not have been possible without the hard work and dedication of our staff, and of course the continued support of our international efforts from Mike Elias and the Partnership Group.”

Later today, Perez will speak with reporters via Zoom and this entry will be updated with some of those comments.

#533 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2023 - 03:01 PM

This isn’t meant critically, but I’m just looking forward to one of these kids actually contributing, hopefully soon. It’s been a long wait and it’s embarrassing how little actual major league production we’ve gotten from the international system. Glad they remain committed to fixing that. At the same time, I want results too. Know this type of thing takes a lot longer though.

#534 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:20 PM

Would be nice to see some of these international signings start trickling into the top ten. Maybe Hernandez and Basallo are close.

#535 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:25 PM

This isn’t meant critically, but I’m just looking forward to one of these kids actually contributing, hopefully soon. It’s been a long wait and it’s embarrassing how little actual major league production we’ve gotten from the international system. Glad they remain committed to fixing that. At the same time, I want results too. Know this type of thing takes a lot longer though.

IFA is never about near term fixes. Basallo is interesting but still more than 3 years away, even he moves off catcher to 1B.  Maybe you get an arm that moves a little faster, but I don't think any of the kids they've signed have that fast of a projection today.  Most of these kids (the more projectable ones) are position players and I don't think you'd even put one in a future lineup if you had to guess today. 

#536 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:29 PM

Right, so eventually just trying isn’t good enough, is what I’m saying. That time isn’t now though, and to a degree, “participating” is probably a huge foundational step to bridging the kinds of relationships required to get the top guys.

#537 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:36 PM

They gave a $210k bonus to a Venezuelan pitcher. Is that the largest bonus ever given to any amateur pitcher in the Elias era, international or Rule 4? Gotta be at least Top 3.

#538 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:41 PM

They gave a $210k bonus to a Venezuelan pitcher. Is that the largest bonus ever given to any amateur pitcher in the Elias era, international or Rule 4? Gotta be at least Top 3.

Baumler got over a million
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#539 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:44 PM

Was Schoop the last IFA this team developed into legit everyday MLB talent? 

Glad to see they got a lot of guys. If you aren't going to participate in the other areas of roster building, be prevalent in this one. I cant remember the exact figure but it was mentioned a few All-Star games ago that something like 35% of All-Stars came from IFA. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#540 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:50 PM

Wonder if they still have a strong hold on the island of Aruba?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=