#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

You keep going back further and further, and at some point, something has to spring from nothing.  It, and I'm not exactly sure what it is, can't start if that's not the case.  Because the question is "how did the universe start", and the universe is everything that exists.  So the only way for the universe to start is if it sprang from nothing, otherwise whatever it sprang from would be part of the universe, and we'd have to ask where that sprang from.

If the link made your head hurt, then don't skip straight to Brave New Universe :)  I think you would enjoy some of the Hawking, though.  It's been years since I read it, but I remember it being pretty good at coming up with ways to describe the complicated physical processes.  Give A Brief History of Time a shot. 

That's my point, I don't think it ever "started" per se -- it just has always been here, forever.  And that tilts me.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Nope, nothing!  Whatever you would think that space is currently expanding into, it's probably the same nothing that was around before the Big Bang.  An entity with no physical meaning. 

At least that's the theory.

That for me is the line between science and the divine. I'm no religious person but there comes a point where science can only explain so much and a higher power comes into the equation.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

That for me is the line between science and the divine. I'm no religious person but there comes a point where science can only explain so much and a higher power comes into the equation.

I understand thinking that way, but then how do you explain how the higher power came into the equation? If something that perplexes people is that there was nothing to start with so how does all of this come from nothing, well that makes sense to question. But by the same line of thought, if there was nothing, how does a higher power come from nothing?

#24 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

I understand thinking that way, but then how do you explain how the higher power came into the equation? If something that perplexes people is that there was nothing to start with so how does all of this come from nothing, well that makes sense to question. But by the same line of thought, if there was nothing, how does a higher power come from nothing?

Realms and constraints, man. 

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

I asked my pastor that question when I was about eight. I didn't get a satisfactory answer :P

The greatest gift the universe provides, after life itself, is the fact that there is always something else to discover. There is always some reason to keep looking.

@DJ_McCann

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Because we're not talking about matter, rocks and gasses.

If there is a God he/she/it has been around forever, and will be forever.

I feel kinda goofy typing that...but 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

God invented forever :)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#28 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

I asked my pastor that question when I was about eight. I didn't get a satisfactory answer :P

The greatest gift the universe provides, after life itself, is the fact that there is always something else to discover. There is always some reason to keep looking.

Very true.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Well there's part of my problem, but I'll leave it at that.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#30 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Sometimes when I get drunk I like to talk about space.   My biggest questions:   1) If space is expanding what is it expanding INTO?   2)  How has space (or matter, etc) been around forever.  How can there be no starting point?  It's just always been here, forever, that sort of thing I just can't wrap my head around.

These questions make me glad I don't smoke weed anymore.
  • SammyBirdland and DJ MC like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=