#41 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

The rest of the rotation has pitched their collective asses off recently.  It really sucks to have to tell one of them, "sorry, you're out" just because our own version of Wild Thing makes the most money.

He gets one start.  If he can't get his act together he's gotta go.  Sorry, this is a pennant race.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

The rest of the rotation has pitched their collective asses off recently.  It really sucks to have to tell one of them, "sorry, you're out" just because our own version of Wild Thing makes the most money.

He gets one start.  If he can't get his act together he's gotta go.  Sorry, this is a pennant race.

If it was more of a race, I'd completely agree.  But I think we've got plenty of cushion and will be able to coast to the East title.  I think it's a worthwhile idea to gamble with some of that margin for error and see if we can get Ubaldo pitching better, because if he does happen to put things together, he's capable of being head and shoulders better than anyone else we've got, a true ace level pitcher when he's clicking on all cylinders, even if it's unlikely he clicks like that.

I'm totally fine if you wanna stick him in the pen right now and force him to show he can keep it together for short stints first, though personally I think he's more likely to find it in the rotation than in the pen, that's just a gut feeling though.

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

If it was more of a race, I'd completely agree.  But I think we've got plenty of cushion and will be able to coast to the East title.  I think it's a worthwhile idea to gamble with some of that margin for error and see if we can get Ubaldo pitching better, because if he does happen to put things together, he's capable of being head and shoulders better than anyone else we've got, a true ace level pitcher when he's clicking on all cylinders, even if it's unlikely he clicks like that.

I'm totally fine if you wanna stick him in the pen right now and force him to show he can keep it together for short stints first, though personally I think he's more likely to find it in the rotation than in the pen, that's just a gut feeling though.

Really?  5 games with, what, 50 or so left to play is "plenty of cushion"?  I disagree with that completely.  One 4-5 game losing streak could put Toronto right on our ass.  Not to mention we have, what, 8 games left to play with them?

Historically, how many teams have lost 5 game leads at this point in the season?  I bet plenty have.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'm sure it's happened plenty of times, as well.  But I don't think any of the teams in the East will even play .500 the rest of the way.  It's a combination of my faith in the O's to continue to play at least marginally well and my lack of faith in every other team.  Even if we have a really bad week and that gap closes to a game or two (barring a major injury), I'll still think we're the best team and will be able to get back on track and take care of business without sweating too much in the final days of September.

I don't think it's gonna be a dogfight, basically.  I certainly don't think that giving Ubaldo 2-3 starts instead of Gonzalez or someone will make a meaningful difference in whether we win or lose the East.  I do think that if we have Ubaldo pitching close to the top of his abilities that we'll have a much better chance of matching up once in the playoffs.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Agree with Mack that I'd like to see Ubaldo get a 3 or so start stint to see if he can pitch closer to his potential. I would consider going with a 6 man staff to avoid sending anyone to the pen. In lieu of that, Gonzalez would be my choice.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Who will lose their roster spot when Ubaldo comes up? Who should? The latter answer is Matusz IMO, but it will probably be TJ.

#47 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

If the 6 man, as much as I hate the idea, allows Chen and Gonzalez to continue to flourish, you gotta do it.

@fuzydunlop

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Agree with Mack that I'd like to see Ubaldo get a 3 or so start stint to see if he can pitch closer to his potential. I would consider going with a 6 man staff to avoid sending anyone to the pen. In lieu of that, Gonzalez would be my choice.

I really hope it's Matusz, but agree with what you're saying. Definitely a great point abou the 6-man... for 3 trips through, I'd definitely be in favor of that. It's the best solution, IMO. It just doesn't remotely seem like Buck's style to demote someone pitching so well.

#49 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

OK, so let's say Ubaldo throws extremely well. You want to remove one of those guys who have "pitched their collective asses off recently" from the rotation over one great start by Ubaldo? That's why he needs 2 or 3. Fair to Ubaldo (make him earn his spot), fair to the rest of the rotation (nobody loses their spot because of one great start by Ubaldo). 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

I'd be ok with the 6-man rotation if they have the guy who is on his throw day available as the long man if someone gets in trouble, then re-working as needed.  Buck and Duquette have shown they are pretty creative and flexible, so that could work.

I'd prefer just a 5-man with someone to the pen, but I'd be ok with a 2-3 weeks of the 6-man rotation before making a cut back down to 5.

As far as who goes when Ubaldo comes back, I agree it should be Matusz but will be McFarland.

#51 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

If we could find a way to work Gausman and Tillman in every 5 days, I'd be more on board with the 6 man rotation. Only problem with 6 man rotation: Hard to get your best pitchers out there every 5 days. You want those guys out there every 5 days. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm not sure Tillman deserves "best guy" status, though he has been pitching better.  I think Gausman does (though I'm biased), but I still think him only pitching every 6 days for a few weeks could be a benefit by keeping him a bit fresher, he's still had some troubles with losing effectiveness earlier than you'd like.  Maybe an extra day of rest alleviates some of that concern.  It also keeps his innings total down for the season, which can be considered a plus.

#53 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm not sure Tillman deserves "best guy" status, though he has been pitching better.  I think Gausman does (though I'm biased), but I still think him only pitching every 6 days for a few weeks could be a benefit by keeping him a bit fresher, he's still had some troubles with losing effectiveness earlier than you'd like.  Maybe an extra day of rest alleviates some of that concern.  It also keeps his innings total down for the season, which can be considered a plus.

Fair point. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,073 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Jimenez making his first start since July 5th...

ERA by Month:
April - 6.59 era, 5 starts

May - 3.12 era, 6 starts

June - 3.71 era, 6 starts

July - 9.82 era, 1 start

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

This might be the biggest start this season for any Os pitcher.

Will Ubaldo be the pitcher down the stretch he was last year or is he a lost cause for this season?

If he is the former, this team becomes way more dangerous in October.

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

I don't want him to do well because I don't trust him to be consistent down the stretch.

Let him blow up now and get on with moving him to long relief.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,073 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

MASN: Jimenez's struggles leave his spot on a potential playoff roster in doubt

http://www.masnsport...r-in-doubt.html

Gotta get to the Post-season first...  outings like last night obviously won't help those odds.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

He's done.  Gonzalez gets his spot back.

#59 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,733 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

So now that the O's have clinched do you think Buck gives Jimenez another start before the season ends?

#60 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

If he needs to do some shuffling to set up the postseason rotation, sure. He's basically a human shield right now.

But good for him. He participated in clinching the division. He started out rocky, and I thought, here we go again, guess I need to come back tomorrow, but he settled in and pitched well over the last 2 innings. About as good as we could have hoped.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=