98 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Awesome, Dumpster Dan finally has some crap to sell the O's fans on heading into ST.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Awesome, Dumpster Dan finally has some crap to sell the O's fans on heading into ST.

Let's see what shape his arm is when the O's actually have him in their camp. Not like others weren't intrigued by his arm. That contract is nothing.

The dislike about Duquette's Winter, should not impact being open-minded about Yoon.  You can dislike what you saw in Yoon's most recent video, wonder about the shoulder, and the transition from the KBO to MLB..... but that contract is nothing... and limited video tells us nothing (either way).

Let's get him in an O's uniform, and see how he does.

#23 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, that contract is nothing. There's some performance bonuses for games started...no harm, no foul? Maybe they intend to start him in the bullpen and then go from there. Or vice-versa. Who knows.

Edit: Wonder if the contract allows for him to be sent to the Minors. 

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

I know next to nothing about Yoon, but I like a 3-year deal.  If he stinks, just consider the $5.75M as spent this year and move on.  But if he's good, even as a decent reliever, you've got him for a few years.  Similar to the Chen deal, but about half the money.

All this cat needs to be is an average relief pitcher and it won't be a bad deal for the Orioles. 

This is the biggest FA deal of the offseason, right?  Webb got $4.5M?  I said before the season that the total contract dollars they gave out wouldn't hit the one year qualifying offer threshold.  So far we're at about $10.25M, so still a few million under.  Pathetic.  Still could sign a mediocre SP to a one-year deal and get over, or go really crazy and sign Jimenez or Santana to a 3-year deal for something in the low $40M range, but I don't think it's possible to even feel lukewarm about this offseason.

#25 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo  4m

Source: Yoon can earn up to $1.25M per year in bonuses for games started. Bonuses would be added to base salary in the next season. #Orioles

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo  3m

Yoon will become a FA at end of the deal, which includes protection against being sent to the minors. #Orioles

blackwings ‏@blackwings2011  3m

@MyKBO Dan, one korean reporter(Yuwool Kim)says, Maximum 13m for 3years if Yoon could fulfill the option.

So, in short, 3/13M if he hits all his incentives/performance based awards. Wonder what all the performance bonuses are...maybe there are some games finished/saves clauses in there too, and not just starts. 

#26 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Im fine with the deal alone. The problem is

A. Its gonna be our biggest FA move. LOL

B. Dumpster Dan is gonna try to sell this guy as a legit SP option. He's clearly not.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Im fine with the deal alone. The problem is

A. Its gonna be our biggest FA move. LOL

B. Dumpster Dan is gonna try to sell this guy as a legit SP option. He's clearly not.

That's not clear at all. Looking at a little bit of tape tells you very little. They could be tape from an off night. Let's all stop acting like we have any idea what this guy will be.

When we signed Chen, the consensus was that he is a reliever and that was obviously wrong.

This could turn out to be a waste of money or it could be a good thing. You, me nor anyone else has any idea which one is correct.
  • Mackus likes this

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

He didn't even start last year in the Korean league. You're crazy if you think he's throwing 140+ ML innings .

I guess Im not going to rule him out of making a spot start or being a long RP but he's not going to make 20+ starts this year or any other.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

That's not clear at all. Looking at a little bit of tape tells you very little. They could be tape from an off night. Let's all stop acting like we have any idea what this guy will be.

When we signed Chen, the consensus was that he is a reliever and that was obviously wrong.

This could turn out to be a waste of money or it could be a good thing. You, me nor anyone else has any idea which one is correct.

Agreed.  I mean, the overwhelmingly most likely option is that he's not a starter and is a reliever at best.  If he had stuff that most people across the board felt would play as a starter, he'd sign for more than $2M a season.  But, he doesn't have to be very good at all to be a worthwhile risk for such a small investment.  And if he's a complete zero, it won't hurt very much at all.

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

He didn't even start last year in the Korean league. You're crazy if you think he's throwing 140+ ML innings .

It was a shoulder injury, right?  Any other injury and I'd say he could overcome and bounce back, but even without any details, shoulder injuries are terrifying.  I'd agree that he likely never makes anything more than a couple spot starts.  Even if he's only a reliever, you can't sign anyone decent for less than $2M a year these days.  If he's capable of being just our 4th or 5th best reliever, then the deal is worth the money and possibly even some surplus.  If he's worth a quarter of a win a season, then he'll be worth the contract in terms of FA dollars.  Maybe we could get a rookie being paid $500k to do as good of a job, so we'd be wasting about a million a year or so.  Not the worst result.  And the upside beyond that is pretty substantial, if he can become either a strong setup or even closer he'll be worth over twice his salary.  If he can start, even as a #4/5, then it's a windfall.

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I guess Im not going to rule him out of making a spot start or being a long RP but he's not going to make 20+ starts this year or any other.

He doesn't have to be a starter to be worth his deal.

Schmuck is saying he will compete for a rotation spot.

Who knows..maybe this will be a Koji situation. He ended up starting, had success but couldn't stay healthy or go deep enough in games, moved the pen and dominated.

Not saying Yoon will have the same path but Koji and Chen have proved that you can get a lot of value out of these deals...one did it starting and one relieving.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Like I said, Im fine with the deal by itself. I was pissed yesterday when numbers like an annual salary of 4-5 mil a year were being tossed out there.

Again, I don't like that this is likely our top FA signing and DD is undoubtedly going to sell this guy as a legit rotation option when we all know he's extremely unlikely to be that.

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Like I said, Im fine with the deal by itself. I was pissed yesterday when numbers like an annual salary of 4-5 mil a year were being tossed out there.

Again, I don't like that this is likely our top FA signing and DD is undoubtedly going to sell this guy as a legit rotation option when we all know he's extremely unlikely to be that.

Well, this organization always sucks when it comes to stuff like that every year, so you should be used to that.

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

This seems like a good low risk, potentially high reward deal. We shall see what he looks like soon enough and get a better idea of what to expect.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

He didn't start in the 2nd half... agree it would be surprising if he started with any regularity in 2014.

#36 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Nothing groundbreaking but KLaw chimes in with some thoughts:

James (KC)

What kind of pitcher is Yoon? Is he like a Feldman, Shields, Hughes or Nova? Purposefully stayed away from Asian pitchers since you hate comparing like culture pitchers to each other.

Klaw
  (1:07 PM)

Nicely done. Mixed feelings from scouts I asked about him in November, consensus more like back-end starter/good reliever. I haven't seen him myself.

Tom (Silver Spring, MD)

Keith, assuming Yoon passes the dreaded Orioles physical, how much do you see him contributing this season?

Klaw
  (2:04 PM)

Could be a better SP option than Norris. Should help, assuming the Orioles don't void the deal when he fails their phrenology exam.

• SportsGuy likes this

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

He's only passing on info he's heard, but that's a more positive review from Law than I was thinking this guy would be capable of.  Law seems to think he's got at least a shot at being a starter.

If he is a good reliever or better, then 3/$5.75M is a bargain.

• SportsGuy likes this

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Dan Kurtz from myKBO.net joined Lance's show in the last 20 minutes today to discuss Yoon:

http://www.blogtalkr...nce-rinker-show

• Mike in STL likes this

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

https://soundcloud.c...al-gm-discusses

DD discussed Yoon on MLB Radio on SirusXM. 

Basically read off the accolades, but didn't want to divulge much until he passes the physical. Of course. 

You can hear him sidestep the question "How handcuffed are you?" around the 1:20 mark for three and a half minutes. Citing that they have been in on a lot of free agent pitchers, but that the problem is four or five other teams are also interested. So you won't get everyone you want. Mentioned the new pitching coach will help improve the existing staff. Then talks about Gausman and Bundy like they are under the radar (pretty sure everyone knows who they are). 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

FanGraphs: Orioles Do Something, Land Suk-min Yoon

The author here - Jeff Sullivan - will be on Lance's show on the 28th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=