http://camdendepot.b...nt-pitcher.html

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Yuck, don't like this guy at all. Well, I should say I'm not encouraged that he'll make an kind of impact here.

First, the shoulder injury. Always scary. It's safe to assume he's not the same pitcher he was 3 years ago in '11. That seems obvious.

Second, watching the videos I'm not impressed with his stuff. Granted, it's small sample size. It looks to me like he doesn't have great control/command. I'm watching video of guys striking out on pitches over there that MLB hitters will just spit on.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Yes, its hard to believe he's going to be a SP. So you're looking at a RP and this guy is not close to being Koji. Im not talking about the historic Koji of '13 either. I'm talking about the good Koji that was here in Baltimore.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

I would expect him to end up in the bullpen.  Hope he's healthy and can be effective towards the back end.  Shoulder injuries are terrifying.  Almost always career-ending or at least significantly career altering.  Next to no one comes back from a shoulder injury and is as good of a pitcher as they were before.

If they do land him, here's hoping he's more Wei-Yin Chen than Tsuyoshi Wada.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

Yuck, don't like this guy at all. Well, I should say I'm not encouraged that he'll make an kind of impact here.

First, the shoulder injury. Always scary. It's safe to assume he's not the same pitcher he was 3 years ago in '11. That seems obvious.

Second, watching the videos I'm not impressed with his stuff. Granted, it's small sample size. It looks to me like he doesn't have great control/command. I'm watching video of guys striking out on pitches over there that MLB hitters will just spit on.

The shoulder is a concern. I liked the video of him actually. Do agree the control could be an issue... but his mechanics looked good, and he was getting a lot of movement and chases. He looked to have an atypical assortment of pitches.

I like the move as a reliever, who maybe winds-up starting during the year. I like the move less if they signed him to start right away. With his closing history, and the shoulder... that makes me think bullpen.

MLBTR: FA Profile
http://www.mlbtrader...k-min-yoon.html

NBC Sports / Hardball Talk: Was #40 on the FA list this Winter
http://hardballtalk....-agent-tracker/

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Any good comparisons to this guy?

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

MLB hitters are going to spit on that curve out pitch he is using to get a lot of Ks

#8 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'd expect him to start if they're paying him 2 and 10 million. They'd pay that much for a proven MLB closer or late inning reliever. But for a guy that didn't play in the MLB? I doubt it.

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that this guy isn't healthy enough to start. With a bum shoulder and having thrown limited amount of innings in past years asking him to start would be crazy. All I can do is ask when that has ever stopped the Orioles. Uehara was used as a starter until he proved he couldn't. Wada was tried out as a starter until he broke. Chen was used as a starter despite the fact he could have gone either way (which paid off bigtime and is a reason why the Os do this).

Honestly, this guy is a perfect Oriole signing. He has limited upside, an extremely low floor and won't cost much. That's how we roll.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'd expect him to start if they're paying him 2 and 10 million. They'd pay that much for a proven MLB closer or late inning reliever. But for a guy that didn't play in the MLB? I doubt it.

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that this guy isn't healthy enough to start. With a bum shoulder and having thrown limited amount of innings in past years asking him to start would be crazy. All I can do is ask when that has ever stopped the Orioles. Uehara was used as a starter until he proved he couldn't. Wada was tried out as a starter until he broke. Chen was used as a starter despite the fact he could have gone either way (which paid off bigtime and is a reason why the Os do this).

Honestly, this guy is a perfect Oriole signing. He has limited upside, an extremely low floor and won't cost much. That's how we roll.

Yep.  He'll either flame out and be worthless, like Wada, or he'll be an overpriced middle reliever, fairly priced late-inning reliever, or massively underpriced starter.

Seems like a good risk, if the deal does end up in the 2/$10M range, though I've got no opinion on as to how likely it is this guy can produce.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

It's one appearance. I get it, but watch this video and tell me what there is to be encouraged about. This guy has nothing.

They squared up almost everything he threw over 2 innings. Rinky dink CB that ML hitters will crush.

They guy may have never been good enough to pitch in the ML. He definitely isn't now. I know I'm not a ML scout but come on. I can't believe we are going to spend 4-5 mil over 2 years on this guy. He has nothing. That is not ML stuff.

Absolutely disaster of an offseason. I'm calling for DD's head now. I mean he has PA to deal with, I get it but he could and should have done a lot better. And the thing is, he had options. He could have went for it and made some FA moves and trades to be a contender or he could have sold on Wieters and Davis and rebuilt the system. Instead, we get this bullcrap.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

• Roll Tide likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm not even going to watch the video.  Who cares about 1 appearance?  We could probably find one where he looks like Verlander.

Obviously he's not a major impact player.  Or at least is unlikely to be.  If he was likely to be very good, even in the bullpen, he wouldn't be so passively pursued.  But one video that you found doesn't mean anything, whether he looked great or terrible.  I'm sure the O's scouts have seen him pitch in person, they know what he is, and have an idea of how that will translate and what the odds are of him being successful and to what degree.  If they thought he was really good, he'd already be signed.  They think he might be the best of what's left, possibly able to help in either the rotation or bullpen.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

All pre injury videos Chris.

He's not the same pitcher.

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,542 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

So let me get this straight....they pass on Balfour, who by all intents and purposes and been healthy for the past few years and was signed by the Rays for about the same deal we offered him and the O's are now closing in on a Korean RP who has questionable control and had a shoulder injury.

Makes perfect sense.

• Russ and Mike in STL like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

All pre injury videos Chris. He's not the same pitcher.

Yep, there is a noticeable difference in the video you posted vs. him prior. Hopefully another Winter of rehab, and he gets closer to his prior stuff. If he passes the O's physical, that is a good sign.

The video you posted (being the most recent) really seals the deal to me about him needing to begin in the pen.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

So let me get this straight....they pass on Balfour, who by all intents and purposes and been healthy for the past few years and was signed by the Rays for about the same deal we offered him and the O's are now closing in on a Korean RP who has questionable control and had a shoulder injury.

Makes perfect sense.

It's ridiculous. Also, say what you will about Rodney but he would have been so much better an option at 2/14 than this guy at likely somewhere between 4-5 mil for 2 years.

The best case scenario is this guy becomes a 4-5 mil 7th-8th inning guy. He's not a ML SP. He's just not. I'm so done with DD at this point. I mean I guess I have to wait til Yoon is officially signed and then provides nearly nothing to this club but then I'm going to really go off. Be warned, the long winded rant is likely coming sometime over the next few years.

#18 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

3 years, 5.75 mil total.  

Where the hell are all the comments?  We finally signed someone!

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

@fuzydunlop

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

3 years, 5.75 mil total.  

Where the hell are all the comments?  We finally signed someone!

Potentially, that sounds like a really worthwhile investment.

However, even though he is expected to pass the physical... I think it is worth noting that it's not official. If the O's get a closer look at him, and don't like what they see in his shoulder... I'm not gong to be ticked if they back off.

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

What's his role going to be? My guess is reliever for that money.

No idea if this is a good contract or not but it's not one that will hurt us if he sucks...so, in that case, it's not bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=