• Please log in to reply
802 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

After going 2 for 4 (including a triple) in his ML debut last night, Machado is 1 for 2 so far tonight with his first ML homer.

On his triple last night, he showed excellent plate coverage. Was great seeing him going opposite field for power. He has room to fill out further, but I think appears to have a strong base.

Defensively tonight, he had an interesting play when KC's Catcher Salvador Perez hit a grounder. Machado booted the grounder, but stuck with the play, and made a strong throw to get the slow running Perez.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Machado is now 2 for 3 tonight, after adding a 2nd homer - this time a 3 run shot.

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

The same fan caught both of his home runs tonight.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Incredible. What a night. (other than my daughter having a fever and throwing up... Thanks for trying to cheer me up Manny)
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#5 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

He isn't feeling the big league pressure, that's for sure!

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Very promising start! Gotta be excited about him and the O's right now!

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Just out of curiosity, because I could not see from where I was sitting, did Manny do the curtain call on his own or was he prompted by his team mates. As he jumped out, he looked embarassed and then jumped back in real quick.
@mikeghg

#8 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

He isn't feeling the big league pressure, that's for sure!

Could even be thriving in it. This season just keeps getting more and more interesting.

#9 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, because I could not see from where I was sitting, did Manny do the curtain call on his own or was he prompted by his team mates. As he jumped out, he looked embarassed and then jumped back in real quick.

From Britt's blog-

The pair of homers — which invoked chants of  “Manny” from 17,277 at Camden Yards — culminated with a standing ovation and an eruption of cheering as the young Machado came out for a quick curtain call during just his second Major League game.

“Jonsie pushed me out there,” Machado said of centerfielder Adam Jones, part of a tag-team with infielder Robert Andino that –not even 30 minutes later –enveloped the rookie in a shaving cream pie that perhaps has never been more celebrated.

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/

#10 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Billy breaks down Manny's defense at third

http://mlb.mlb.com/v... ... 867385&v=3

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#11 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

What a splash he has made in his short stint so far...

BALTIMORE -- Manny Machado mania continued with Monday's news that the Orioles rookie has been named the co-American League Player of the Week, sharing the honor with Red Sox slugger Adrian Gonzalez.

The 20-year-old Machado batted .375 (6-for-16) with a double, a triple, three homers, seven RBIs and five runs scored in his first four games in the Major Leagues. He went 2-for-4 with a triple and a run scored in his debut on Thursday.

http://baltimore.ori... ... l&c_id=bal
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

WNST: Machado interview (Audio)
http://wnst.net/audi... Orioles career

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Fox Sports: O's Promote Machado to Win Now
http://msn.foxsports...-win-now-081312

#14 dpsmith22

dpsmith22
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

For me, the sign that Machado belongs when was he hit his first homer. The count was 3-1 and he took a fastball for strike 2 that was on the black at the knees on the outside corner. If he hits that pitch, more than likely he grounds out to short. Instead he took it and crushed the hanging curve. To think he is only going to get better...
@dpsmith22

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Machado made a great play last night coming in on a tapper, and firing across the diamond. Outstanding reactions, good hands, and an extremely strong arm.

Making that particular play at 3rd, with his limited experience at the position, was extremely impressive.

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

Makes me feel better if he does eventually outgrow SS. Looks like he could be a plus defender at third down the line.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Had a laser for a sac fly and also a big walk last night that helped lead to the 3-run 2nd against Sale. And continues to make all of the plays at 3B, looks just great defensively.

However, he's been struggling pretty badly at the plate. I don't think he looks completely over-matched at the plate, but his numbers have been abysmal following that amazing series to start his career versus KC.

Since that series he's got a .205/.234/.295 slash line, which is absolutely terrible. That's only two weeks, so could just be a slump, and I'm not suggesting we make a change at 3B, especially with what he's given us with the glove, but I would like to see Manny start being more disciplined at the plate and provide us with some more adequate production.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Had a laser for a sac fly and also a big walk last night that helped lead to the 3-run 2nd against Sale. And continues to make all of the plays at 3B, looks just great defensively.

However, he's been struggling pretty badly at the plate. I don't think he looks completely over-matched at the plate, but his numbers have been abysmal following that amazing series to start his career versus KC.

Since that series he's got a .205/.234/.295 slash line, which is absolutely terrible. That's only two weeks, so could just be a slump, and I'm not suggesting we make a change at 3B, especially with what he's given us with the glove, but I would like to see Manny start being more disciplined at the plate and provide us with some more adequate production.

Yea, he is overly aggressive at this point. I would like to know what his swing % is in terms of going after the first pitch and how that compares to what he did in the minors. Thats his biggest issue to me. Seems like he is behind in the count(early in the count) quite often and it causes him to go fishing and become an easy out.

Tons of potential in this kid though. Big power potential I think.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Tons of potential in this kid though. Big power potential I think.

Thought there were good signs in his abs last night. Totally agree about his potential and power. He looks willing and able to drive the RCF gap at any-time.

I won't be surprised if he hits more homers, but he should pretty easily settle into 25 homers and 40+ doubles. He is going to be a freaking monster.

Getting past his potential, his play at 3rd has just been outstanding.

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Getting past his potential, his play at 3rd has just been outstanding.

Especially since he never did it before.

A friend of mine is a musical genius... he can pick up any musical instrument, even one he's never seen before, and instantly play it. It's downright spooky. To me, Manny seems like that about baseball...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=