• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,491 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

13-9, 5-4 MD travels to Chapel Hill to face 14-7, 4-4 UNC tomorrow night.

Maryland
72.8 ppg (147th Nationally)
38.2 rebounds (52nd Nationally)
12.3 assists (218th Nationally)
.440 FG% (195th Nationally)
Scoring Defense 69.2 (147th Nationally)

North Carolina
76 ppg (73rd Nationally)

41.3 rebounds (9th Nationally)
15.9 assists (24th Nationally)

.455 FG% (117 Nationally)
Scoring Defense 67.9 ppg (112th Nationally)

Real Time RPI
MD 77th, SOS 60th
UNC 42nd, SOS 19th

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,491 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Washington Post: Turgeon, Driesell, Williams reflect on Terps / UNC match-up coming to an end
http://www.washingto...ming-to-an-end/

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,700 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I went to the UNC/MD game in Chapel Hill last year. Never seen more old people in one place at one time. The arena was like a retirement community.
  • KWebz likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

I used to always fear this game when Gary Williams was Maryland's coach. Even if the Tar Heels best years, Gary somehow had their number.

@beginthebegin71

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I used to always fear this game when Gary Williams was Maryland's coach. Even if the Tar Heels best years, Gary somehow had their number.

You got a prediction for tomorrow? Inquiring minds want to know on what could be the Terps last visit to Chapel Hill for a while.

@levineps

#6 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

You got a prediction for tomorrow? Inquiring minds want to know on what could be the Terps last visit to Chapel Hill for a while.

Heels by 11.

@beginthebegin71

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

I don't think either team is very good at this point, but  Carolina seems to be finding there game a little bit.  Carolina's rebounding might be the difference.  They have better talent then Maryland and are at home,   McAdoo will present a real problem.  I think the Terps fight the good fight, but  probably come up short.  I hope I am wrong.  It would be nice to see Maryland give the ACC and Heels a good bye stick in the eye.  Its games like this I really miss Gary.  If the game was close he seemed to find a way to outsmart Roy at the end.

@mikeghg

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Why do I get a crazy, stupid feeling that MD is going to knock off Syracuse at home.

BTW....I know Im getting ahead of myself. Anyway, yeah, no reason to think MD can put together two solid road performances in a row.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,561 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Why do I get a crazy, stupid feeling that MD is going to knock off Syracuse at home.

BTW....I know Im getting ahead of myself. Anyway, yeah, no reason to think MD can put together two solid road performances in a row.

I don't know, but I'll take some of whatever you're having, please. 

• DuffMan likes this

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

I think every team thinks like that (or atleast likes to). Syracuse knows they're going to get every teams best shot, every night, even moreso on the road. That's why I think it's really tough to stay unbeaten all year. UofA lost to a team they shouldn't have in Cal, but not too surprised.

@levineps

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,491 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I think Seth's call of an 11 point UNC win sounds about right.

Some thoughts on what I'd like to see from MD:

1) A lot of pressing and trapping... with the hope of delaying UNC's ability to get into their offense, and hopefully creating some turnovers leading to easy points in transition.

2) After UNC scores... you have to push the ball back at them. Roy Williams' teams like to attack, attack, attack... but sometimes are vulnerable by not getting back quick enough defensively. Make them pay for that. MD's guards and wings need to have a fair amount of points in the paint.

3) Keep the turnovers in that 10-14 range. Of course if they are playing the higher tempo I'm hoping to see, that might lead to additional sloppy possessions.

4) You have to get to the line (convert when you do), and limit the trips for UNC.

5) Playing even on the boards with UNC would be a win.

6) No extended scoring droughts. With MD having no inside presence, and often times being zoned to death... we have seen MD have numerous scoring lulls during the year. Can't happen tonight... have to answer scores.

7) The Dean Dome has never had the reputation of being a very hostile environment, but it has been louder in recent years with the students moved to the floor. The Heels don't really care about MD, but they do love the ACC. I think the UNC fans will be into the game tonight. MD needs a positive start. Wells figures to get his. Would be a good sign to see Allen and/or Layman have some productive early minutes.

8) Limit the minutes where Smotrycz and Layman are on the court together.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

I think Maryland will need to shoot really well from the perimeter to win this game.

#13 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I think Seth's call of an 11 point UNC win sounds about right.

Some thoughts on what I'd like to see from MD:

1) A lot of pressing and trapping... with the hope of delaying UNC's ability to get into their offense, and hopefully creating some turnovers leading to easy points in transition.

2) After UNC scores... you have to push the ball back at them. Roy Williams' teams like to attack, attack, attack... but sometimes are vulnerable by not getting back quick enough defensively. Make them pay for that. MD's guards and wings need to have a fair amount of points in the paint.

3) Keep the turnovers in that 10-14 range. Of course if they are playing the higher tempo I'm hoping to see, that might lead to additional sloppy possessions.

4) You have to get to the line (convert when you do), and limit the trips for UNC.

5) Playing even on the boards with UNC would be a win.

6) No extended scoring droughts. With MD having no inside presence, and often times being zoned to death... we have seen MD have numerous scoring lulls during the year. Can't happen tonight... have to answer scores.

7) The Dean Dome has never had the reputation of being a very hostile environment, but it has been louder in recent years with the students moved to the floor. The Heels don't really care about MD, but they do love the ACC. I think the UNC fans will be into the game tonight. MD needs a positive start. Wells figures to get his. Would be a good sign to see Allen and/or Layman have some productive early minutes.

8) Limit the minutes where Smotrycz and Layman are on the court together.

You'd be surprised, but for the most part, they're really not that team this year. Much more methodical than speed/flash. Sure, they'll have the occasional fast-break, but they're not on par with...well...any team from 2004-2012.

If Maryland gets hot from deep, they should be in this game, at least. I think UNC pulls away with a few minutes to go. I'm feeling 72-60.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

ESPN: Curtain falling on UNC-Maryland series

http://espn.go.com/b...maryland-series

“I still think of Maryland as an ACC school and I’ll always think that way,” UNC coach Roy Williams said. “I’m old fashioned, old school. We’ve had some great, great games with them.”

@levineps

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,491 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

UNC runs out to a 12-0 lead... 17:28 left.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Quite the beginning, just down 12-0, 3 minutes haven't even been played.

@levineps

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,491 posts

Mitchell blocked...  UNC turnover.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

What's the record for longest scoring drought to begin the game in Terps history?

@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

On the board...

@levineps

#20 BSLChrisStoner