25 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Please don't combine this thread with the Game of Thrones thread!!!!!!!!!!! I can't possibly stress that enough. LOL
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

So many questions I need to have answered. Dammit Martin, get this book out ASAP. :D

1) Is Jon Snow dead?
I'm guessing no because a) there are a lot of hints that he's Azor Ahai reborn and b) I doubt Martin is that stupid. Seriously, I know some people who have said that if Jon's dead, they're done with the series. I wouldn't go that far (and they might be full of hot air), but I will be royally p.o.ed if this is the case.
2) Is Stannis dead?
The sample chapter from The Winds of Winter would seem to indicate he's not. However, Jon's last chapter in A Dance with Dragons is written after that chapter as well. I doubt it's the case (especially since Stannis has now joined up with Asha (sorry Yara) and the remnants of her forces, not to mention he now has the financial backing of the banker from Bravoos.
3) What in the hell is going to happen in Kings Landing?
Kevan Lannister is dead and as Varys indicated, the Lannisters are going to pointing their fingers at the Tyrells and vice versa. Not to mention Dorne is going to stick their nose in this as well. Speaking of Dorne...
4) Aegon Targaryen has invaded Westeros with Jon Connington. What next?
Your guess is as good as mine. I know a lot of people are upset (and probably rightfully so), considering the hopes were that A Dance with Dragons would start to answer some questions rather than create even more. I've lovin' it though. Martin has me hook line and sinker.
5) Will the forces of the Eyrie be converging on the Winterfell? Will they join up with Stannis' remnants? What's Littlefinger's endgame?
Gah! The Winds of Winter can't get here soon enough!!!
@ChaosLex

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

1) I really doubt Jon is dead, or if he is, he will be revived somehow. I think they're setting up for some internal conflict within Melisandre as to whether she should be following Jon or Stannis. I do think that Jon's commitment to the Night's Watch is probably through.

2) Stannis is alive.

3/4/5) I need to re-read A Dance With Dragons. I was so excited for all the of Jon/Tyrion/Dany stuff that a lot of the other stuff didn't stick with me so well.

#4 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Who will survive?

My guess is Jon will still be alive at the end of the series. My hope has always been that R+L=J; therefore, he could become King of Westeros with Daeny as his Queen. However, I have my doubts that Martin will go with this saccharine ending. I'm going to guess he'll be named Lord of Winterfell and King of the North, and he'll be wedded to either Val or Asha/Yara further unifying the North.

Daeny will live as well, and become either Queen of Westeros (see above), live with Jon in the North (where her dragons can hunt beyond The Wall) or become Lady Targaryen of Dragonstone with her brother.

I think Sansa will live as well. Since Gendry is still skulking around somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised for him to become King (given his royal roots) and marry Sansa. Sansa would finally have a "true" Baratheon husband rather than Joffrey.

Tyrion will also stick around and become Lord of Casterly Rock and Warden of the West. I suppose he'll either re-marry his first wife (provided he finds her) or the dwarf he traveled with in A Dance with Dragons. My guess is on the former though, provided she's still alive. A rightful end for Tyrion in the whole scheme of things. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was named Hand of the King.
@ChaosLex

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

That's a lot of positive endings, Lex. I think you may be setting yourself up for some disappointment! :)

#6 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

That's a lot of positive endings, Lex. I think you may be setting yourself up for some disappointment! :)

LOL. Knowing my luck everyone above will be dead and frickin' Cersei, Ramsay Snow/Bolton and/or Walder Frey will still be alive. :D
@ChaosLex

#7 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

After this Sunday's episode, the season will be halfway over. *sobs*

I can't wait for the next two seasons of the show. A Storm of Swords (which is being divided into Seasons 3 and 4) is the best book by far in the series, IMO. So many things I'm looking forward to.

The Red Wedding :(
The fight between The Mountain and the Red Viper
Daeny meeting/freeing the Unsullied and having them destroy their former masters
Joffrey's wedding (teehee)
Stannis travels north to the Wall

Should be a hoot!
@ChaosLex

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yeah Book 3 is definitely the best, that's gonna make a TON of people furious when it airs.

#9 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yeah Book 3 is definitely the best, that's gonna make a TON of people furious when it airs.

Especially since Robb's character is fleshed out more on the TV series than he is in the books, IMO.

Oh well. At least Joffrey dies not longer after he does.
@ChaosLex

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Especially since Robb's character is fleshed out more on the TV series than he is in the books, IMO.

Yeah, I think the show has done a great job of making Robb into a more interesting and appreciated character. Perhaps at the expense of Catelyn, a little bit. People are going to be pissed after Theon takes over Winterfell, but that at least you can see coming. The Red Wedding comes out of nowhere. It's infuriating and shocking and awful and incredible. People will be expecting a major death at the end of this season, after Ned last year and seeing somewhat minor characters like Yoren (who they did way better building interest in than they did with Jory) and Renly be killed. But this season/book doesn't really have the big bloodbath at the end. Nobody really major dies at the end of this book. So people may be less expecting of a killoff at the end of the 3rd season, and they're gonna get the Red Wedding.

I'm excited just to see the reactions.

I can't decide if I think they end season 3 with the Red Wedding (which I hope they do) or if they make that episode 8 or 9 and then in episode 10 they kill Joffrey to make up for it a little bit.

#11 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, I think the show has done a great job of making Robb into a more interesting and appreciated character. Perhaps at the expense of Catelyn, a little bit. People are going to be pissed after Theon takes over Winterfell, but that at least you can see coming. The Red Wedding comes out of nowhere. It's infuriating and shocking and awful and incredible. People will be expecting a major death at the end of this season, after Ned last year and seeing somewhat minor characters like Yoren (who they did way better building interest in than they did with Jory) and Renly be killed. But this season/book doesn't really have the big bloodbath at the end. Nobody really major dies at the end of this book. So people may be less expecting of a killoff at the end of the 3rd season, and they're gonna get the Red Wedding.

I'm excited just to see the reactions.

I can't decide if I think they end season 3 with the Red Wedding (which I hope they do) or if they make that episode 8 or 9 and then in episode 10 they kill Joffrey to make up for it a little bit.

I'm guessing the latter option, if only to give fans a proper sendoff to the season. If not, they might have a fullscale revolt on their hands among the fans. Haha.

Also, I'm not sure a big plot twist like Joffrey's death would make sense at the beginning of the season, unless they chose to drag it out awhile instead.

Speaking of Catelyn, I'm genuinely curious to see what the Lady Stoneheart design will look like. I'm guessing it won't be this gruesome.

Posted Image
@ChaosLex

#12 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Mackus, do you think The Wall will come down in the next book?
@ChaosLex

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Mackus, do you think The Wall will come down in the next book?

I think it has to, right? Wouldn't that be the only thing that could unite the south together, basically deciding a king and stopping that war, then make the final book be about fighting the Others coming down from beyond the wall?

I don't much like making predictions, but I would like to see Dany come over with her dragons and meet up with (a revived by Melisandre) Jon Snow. L+R =Jis revealed to be true (perhaps Howland Reed told Jojen and Meera?), Dany and Jon end up as King and Queen, and they lead the fight against the Others, Dany flying on a dragon, Jon perhaps warging one?

I don't know. I suck at predictions. Excited for the next book! I really hope we get the Hound back from that priest at the Saltpans, I hope Aray meets up with Jaqen H'agar again, I hope something good happens to Tyrion, I hope Jamie becomes a badass southpaw. I expect to be very disappointed when none of my optimistic hopes come true and Martin just slams into us with more fan favorites enduring crappy situations, and I expect to love reading every second of it.

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think it has to, right? Wouldn't that be the only thing that could unite the south together, basically deciding a king and stopping that war, then make the final book be about fighting the Others coming down from beyond the wall?

I don't much like making predictions, but I would like to see Dany come over with her dragons and meet up with (a revived by Melisandre) Jon Snow. L+R =Jis revealed to be true (perhaps Howland Reed told Jojen and Meera?), Dany and Jon end up as King and Queen, and they lead the fight against the Others, Dany flying on a dragon, Jon perhaps warging one?

I don't know. I suck at predictions. Excited for the next book! I really hope we get the Hound back from that priest at the Saltpans, I hope Aray meets up with Jaqen H'agar again, I hope something good happens to Tyrion, I hope Jamie becomes a badass southpaw. I expect to be very disappointed when none of my optimistic hopes come true and Martin just slams into us with more fan favorites enduring crappy situations, and I expect to love reading every second of it.

Hard to disagree with anything here.

#15 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm not going to make any specific predictions on individual characters but I will say that I don't expect more than 40-50% to have a happy ending (insert joke here) and even that might be pushing it.

#16 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

I read one theory that Bran will be the one able to talk to the dragons. Kinda what Quentyn Martell tried to do in A Dance with Dragons, only with better results. :lol:
@ChaosLex

#17 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'm not going to make any specific predictions on individual characters but I will say that I don't expect more than 40-50% to have a happy ending (insert joke here) and even that might be pushing it.

I'm pretty confident that House Frey and House Bolton will be completely wiped out. That makes me happy.

Perhaps Tyrion will survive from House Lannister? Cersei, Tommen and Myrcella will all be dead, based on the witch's prophecy. I wouldn't mind if Jaime survived; however, I also wouldn't be surprised if he joined the Night's Watch.

I thought Stannis might die eventually (no chance Ramsay killed him), but now with the backing of some of the major houses in the North (i.e., House Mormont, House Glover and House Umber), I'm not so sure.
@ChaosLex

#18 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

I think either Stannis or Jaime will be the 1000th Night's Watch commander.

Jaime will kill Cersei.

Young Griff/Baby Aegon will be a fake.

Tyrion and Jon will be the other heads to the dragon.

Unfortunately Barriston will be killed. Either in the battle of fire or after Dany and company make their return to Westeros.

Rickon will rule Winterfell with Bran as new bloodraven. Jon will return, become Jon Stark, but eventually die in the end in a heroic way ending the overall conflict.

I think in the end they go back to seven kingdoms and no overall king and/or queen. Takes the abolishing of slavery to the next step for Dany.

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

I'm pretty confident that House Frey and House Bolton will be completely wiped out. That makes me happy.

Perhaps Tyrion will survive from House Lannister? Cersei, Tommen and Myrcella will all be dead, based on the witch's prophecy. I wouldn't mind if Jaime survived; however, I also wouldn't be surprised if he joined the Night's Watch.

I thought Stannis might die eventually (no chance Ramsay killed him), but now with the backing of some of the major houses in the North (i.e., House Mormont, House Glover and House Umber), I'm not so sure.

I'm with you on house Frey as they face more fallout from the Red Wedding, not to mention many think their house is cursed for breaking guest right. I'm not so sure about the Boltons though, I don't expect Ramsay to live but I could easily see Roose surviving.

Hard to say about the Lannisters, obviously the Witch's prophecy is a big clue to what could happen, but not all prophecy's have come true in these books. (stallion who mounts the world for one)

No clue on what happens to Stannis but I'm pretty confident in thinking that he is not Azor Ahai.

Really I'm not too sure what will happen to pretty much anyone of importance in this book and I love it. I love reading something that I really have little to no idea of what's coming next.

#20 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

I forgot to mention Stannis has the support of House Manderly in the North as well. When Ramsay put the Manderlys and Freys into his vanguard (brilliant move there!) to "attack" Stannis, I have no doubt that the former slaughtered the latter and joined up with him outside the walls of Winterfell.
@ChaosLex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=