1812 replies to this topic

#41 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

It's popping up all over... so odds are that it did happen.

Yeah, only thing I see is that the money exchanging hands might be an issue.

#42 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Yankees get significant cash from #Mariners in Ichiro trade.

Wow.

#43 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Wow is right.

@AdamWolff

#44 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Good move for them Baseball wise, he's a poor man's Brett Gardner at this point in his career, so he'll fill the role that they haven't had all year..

It's far from earth shattering for the rest of the American League though.
@beginthebegin71

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Ichiro's offense has been poor this year but his defense has been great and his SB% is still very good.

It wouldn't shock me to see a resurgence by him for the rest of the year, bat 300+ for NY and be a key piece for them.

#46 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Ichiro's offense has been poor this year but his defense has been great and his SB% is still very good.

It wouldn't shock me to see a resurgence by him for the rest of the year, bat 300+ for NY and be a key piece for them.

He certainly won't be the focal point of the offense..I'm sure he'll do well, but I'm just not thinking he'll make a huge impact.
@beginthebegin71

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

River Avenue Blues: Yankees will explore 3rd base market
http://riveraveblues...e-market-72728/

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

River Avenue Blues: Yankees will explore 3rd base market
http://riveraveblues...e-market-72728/

$$$ isn't an issue right?
@levineps

#49 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Girardi with a comical objection today, including hat throwing and playing to the crowd.

#50 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

With 250th HR tonight, Jeter joins Mays as only players to record at least 3,000 hits, 250 homers, 300 steals and 1,200 RBIs.

Sorry y'all, he's pretty good.
@beginthebegin71

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

With 250th HR tonight, Jeter joins Mays as only players to record at least 3,000 hits, 250 homers, 300 steals and 1,200 RBIs.

Sorry y'all, he's pretty good.

He has had a great career, plays the game correctly, and is probably better than I've often credited him for being.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#52 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

He has had a great career, plays the game correctly, and is probably better than I've often credited him for being.

This.

The "overrated" talk has always been beyond silly. I know we're supposed to "hate", but sometimes you have to sit back and appreciate.
@beginthebegin71

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

This.

The "overrated" talk has always been beyond silly. I know we're supposed to "hate", but sometimes you have to sit back and appreciate.

You make it WAY more difficult than it should be.

#54 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

You make it WAY more difficult than it should be.

Now that's just simply not true, If you don't appreciate a great player, that's on YOU.

A pro Jeter post once in a blue moon is far from overbearing, and i'm guessing this is my first mention on BSL.
@beginthebegin71

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

This.

I don't think it is silly since his offense is pretty accurately rated but his defense is vastly overrated and his clutch play is also overrated.

His leadership is probably overrated too, but that's a harder one to tell.

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

I don't think it is silly since his offense is pretty accurately rated but his defense is vastly overrated and his clutch play is also overrated.

I think he is a definite HOFer, very good and I don't have a problem saying he's an absolute class act, aside from faking a HBP(partially joking).

I think he gets a bit more credit than he deserves sometimes. He was certainly in the right place (New York) at the right time (mid-90s). Nonetheless, that happens in sports, I'm sure if Don Mattingly's and Jeter's careers were switched, we'd think higher of Mattingly. Some of the recent gold gloves, he's won have been absolute jokes.

The leadership point is what Casey Close, his agent tried to argue with his last contract that you had to look beyond the stats to see his true value in that he makes everyone around him "better." That's a tough point to argue to me on both ends of the spectrum.

There have been articles written on how "underrated" he is, that's just absurd.

Also, some of his "value" has come from off-the-field, much more than it should but if any player deserves to benefit it's him. He plays the game the right way, but also is a model off-of-it and his "Turn 2" Foundation, goes beyond the typical star athlete's chairty efforts. And I don't think it's a stretch to say, that if he was caught with steroids, it would make the Melky story look like nothing. His longstanding most eligible bachelor in NYC status. And he's dated some fine-looking women, who doesn't want to be associated with the SS for the Yankees? He's very image conscious as well, I remember reading that even when he has just a drink, he makes sure to call cab. The fact he's been largely free of controversy has helped him.

All-in-all, I have no problem saying he's a great player, but the media enhances his profile more that it should.
@levineps

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Correct. He has been an excellent offensive SS but the defense is poorish and the clutchness is annoying.

The talk of him being a better all around SS than Cal is laughable.

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Jeter's career value is similar to Larkin's and Trammel's, yet he's ranked much more highly than both and one of those guys don't seem likely to even make the HOF.

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

http://espn.go.com/m... ... eport-says

Baseball officials uncovered the scheme as Cabrera prepared his case to challenge the test. Cabrera's grievance then was dropped, and MLB announced a 50-game suspension Wednesday.

A team of six to seven investigators from MLB spent several weeks working to uncover the plan, a baseball official familiar with the probe told The Associated Press. A second baseball official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said additional discipline against Cabrera was unlikely.

I can't imagine them not punishing him further. This cover-up attempt it a hundred times worse than any failed drug test. If they don't at least try to give him a year or two ban for this blatant attempt to avoid punishment, then MLB is a bigger joke than I thought. I'm surprised this isn't getting more coverage, to me this is the biggest and most important story since the Balco case.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Jeter's career value is similar to Larkin's and Trammel's, yet he's ranked much more highly than both and one of those guys don't seem likely to even make the HOF.

Even if that's true and I'm not sure it is, you look better with more hardware. If Larkin and Trammel had played for better teams, they'd look a lot better as well. As I've already stated, Jeter benefited from being at the right place at the right time, but he deserves credit for his own accomplishments.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=