69 replies to this topic

#41 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Memorial Day weekend is also usually good.  French Open starts, Indy 500, NBA playoffs in full swing, baseball season really starting to kick into gear.  And it's right in between the NFL draft and training camp, so I get a glorious respite from NFL coverage.

#42 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

If you want to go with one day of the opening weekend of the tourney, go ahead, but the while weekend is not an option. Either way, you're basing that primarily off of one sport jay like anyone picking today is.

Yeah, I understand that, but it's more than just 2 games.  Just don't see how you can call it the best sports day because of 2 games.

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

If you want to go with one day of the opening weekend of the tourney, go ahead, but the while weekend is not an option. Either way, you're basing that primarily off of one sport jay like anyone picking today is.

Yeah, I understand that, but it's more than just 2 games.  Just don't see how you can call it the best sports day because of 2 games.

Well there are other games going on if that makes you feel better. Either way, the emphasis is likely to be on one sport and this is one of the must important sports days of the year in this country.

#44 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Well there are other games going on if that makes you feel better. Either way, the emphasis is likely to be on one sport and this is one of the must important sports days of the year in this country.

Not really anything else of significance.  Aussie Open going on certainly helps, but that's tough to follow here in the States.

I'd still take Opening Day or the opening round of the NCAAs fairly easily over today.  Say Friday of the opening round, since I can stay up late without worrying about my work performance the next day.  Like Seth said, baseball OD with the NCAA championship game as the nightcap is especially good.

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

PCR Day :)

@DJ_McCann

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

So today was pretty damn good.

I'll take 2 games with great meaning between teams that I know and care about to a high degree over 16 games with much less importance between teams that I mostly don't know or care much about and that aren't likely to collectively be played at a high level.

But I totally understand going with day 1 of the Madness, especially if one if more into college hoops than me or just gambles a lot.

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

So today was pretty damn good.

I'll take 2 games with great meaning between teams that I know and care about to a high degree over 16 games with much less importance between teams that I mostly don't know or care much about and that aren't likely to collectively be played at a high level.

But I totally understand going with day 1 of the Madness, especially if one if more into college hoops than me or just gambles a lot.

I don't gamble... and half the time I don't even participate in a real money pool for the bracket, I just do one online for fun with friends... but the whole bracket aspect of it just totally does it for me. And while you're asking a very specific question w/r/t one day... Days 1-4 of the Tournament are interchangeable to me. Any of those 4 days are just amazing, IMHO.

That said, hard to argue... today was awesome. Especially the night cap.

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

I personally think Opening Day is overrated.

Sunday at the Masters is always a really cool day for me. The unofficial open to spring.

I know a lot of people aren't golf fans and OD is the more popular unofficial start of spring.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

I don't gamble... and half the time I don't even participate in a real money pool for the bracket, I just do one online for fun with friends... but the whole bracket aspect of it just totally does it for me. And while you're asking a very specific question w/r/t one day... Days 1-4 of the Tournament are interchangeable to me. Any of those 4 days are just amazing, IMHO.

That said, hard to argue... today was awesome. Especially the night cap.

I totally get that days 1-4 are considered part of one great extended weekend, but clearly for the purpose of this question, one day has to be signaled out. That's why a day like today can win out for me. 

That and my aversion to 57-45 games.  :lol:

#50 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Sunday at the Masters is always a really cool day for me. The unofficial open to spring.

I know a lot of people aren't golf fans and OD is the more popular unofficial start of spring.

No question, I almost put Master's Sunday on there as well.  But I kind of thought it was more for the reason you state - the unofficial start of spring - which really doesn't have anything to do with sports.  But there's usually an O's game that precedes the conclusion of the golf tournament, so yeah, that's a great sports day for me personally.

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

I totally get that days 1-4 are considered part of one great extended weekend, but clearly for the purpose of this question, one day has to be signaled out. That's why a day like today can win out for me. 

That and my aversion to 57-45 games.  :lol:

Yeah... I'm just saying even if I had to pick 1 day... pick 1-4 of the tourney out of a hat and I'd have to go with that. They're all amazing. 

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

Scratch that... Days 1-3... Sunday of opening weekend is always a little sad. I hate seeing the epic weekend of games come ot and end... and typically my time off work come to an end, too. 

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

I'm not a golf fan, but I think that's a good choice.

@DJ_McCann

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

There is no doubt that the first few days of the tourney are a lot of fun but ultimately they are first round games.

Same with something like opening day. It's 1 of 162.

With something like Championship Sunday the stakes are raised. Or Sunday at the Masters where a Grand Slam champ is crowned in arguably the most prestigious golf tourny in the world.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

The power of the bracket is astounding! It makes people care about games that they'd likely hardly care about otherwise. 

And yes, I also think that filling out and following a bracket or two is a lot of fun. For those that pick like 5 different ones and make a big deal out of each one, well I can't get behind that.

#56 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

Thinking about it more, I think I'd definitely go Master's Sunday.

Baseball season is just starting off.  There is almost always an important NBA and NHL game going on as their respective seasons wind down and teams battle for playoff spots/seeds.  And there is usually a NASCAR race for those who are interested in that. 

It's really kind of the perfect storm as the winter sports transition into the summer ones.  And to top it off you have probably the most important golf tournament of the year.

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

The power of the bracket is astounding! It makes people care about games that they'd likely hardly care about otherwise. 

And yes, I also think that filling out and following a bracket or two is a lot of fun. For those that pick like 5 different ones and make a big deal out of each one, well I can't get behind that.

Haha... I have a rule to only do one... and if I need to do two because we're doing a pool at work or something like that, I will make it the same. I don't get the fun in claiming any type of "victory" by making two different brackets. But I get some people do a "head" bracket and a "heart" bracket, etc., so stuff like that is kind of fun. To each their own I say.

#58 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Multiple brackets is solely about increasing your odds to make money.

I don't think someone is filling out 5 brackets for fun and then taking credit for winning it solely for bragging rights

#59 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Multiple brackets is solely about increasing your odds to make money.

I don't think someone is filling out 5 brackets for fun and then taking credit for winning it solely for bragging rights

Well there's certainly bragging regardless of if money is the main motivator, and there really shouldn't be any bragging IMO when you have a bunch of different brackets.

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Well it's nice to see the old fogey sport being represented nicely.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors