#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

I actually think I take Opening Day above today, unless the Ravens would be playing.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#22 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

I actually think I take Opening Day above today, unless the ravens would be playing.

No question, especially if the weather is nice!

@beginthebegin71

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

As a casual college hoops fan whose team is no longer in the tourney most years, I'll take today over the first day of the Madness.

That's exactly me with a day like today...And with me not gambling right now, I'm not even watching the Pats game.

Towson vs. Charleston is on my TV as I type.

Sad. I definitely still watch March Madness, but it's really only highly entertaining to me because of the sheer volume of the games and the brackets. Otherwise, most are games featuring teams I have barely watched if at all and teams I hardly knew anything about before cramming to fill out brackets. And lets be honest, the quality of play/entertainment level is not that high in many of these games.

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

As a casual college hoops fan whose team is no longer in the tourney most years, I'll take today over the first day of the Madness.

Who is your college hoops team?

Maryland

#25 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Sad. I definitely still watch March Madness, but it's really only highly entertaining to me because of the sheer volume of the games and the brackets. Otherwise, most are games featuring teams I have barely watched if at all and teams I hardly knew anything about before cramming to fill out brackets. And lets be honest, the quality of play/entertainment level is not that high in many of these games.

Sad?

That makes sense, and I know a lot of people feel that way about the NCAA's and the bowl games.

@beginthebegin71

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Take away the gambling aspect especially brackets, the opening weekend loses a lot of the appeal unless you just love college hoops.

@levineps

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Take away the gambling aspect especially brackets, the opening weekend loses a lot of the appeal unless you just love college hoops.

No doubt. Not one of those games would be appointment TV on their own unless you're a real big college basketball guy or a fan of one of the teams.

The games today are appointment TV even for casual fans.

#28 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

And obviously the importance of these games is vastly greater than that first Thursday. We're also talking about the day to get teams into the most prestigious title game there is in this nation compared to getting to the round of 32 in what's probably the 5th most prestigious title.

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

No doubt. Not one of those games would be appointment TV on their own unless you're a real big college basketball guy or a fan of one of the teams.

Yea...because the games are good.

If this game was KC at Cincinnati, people wouldn't be as excited...not even close.

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

And obviously the importance of these games is vastly greater than that first Thursday. We're also talking about the day to get teams into the most prestigious title game there is in this nation compared to getting to the round of 32 in what's probably the 5th most prestigious title.

Fifth most prestigious...

1-4 (not necessarily in order) -- Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, College Football playoff

Sounds about right.

@levineps

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yea...because the games are good.

If this game was KC at Cincinnati, people wouldn't be as excited...not even close.

The games are generally very good matchups.

#32 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Single day. So you don't get the whole weekend.

Nah, I get the whole weekend. Sorry.
  • SportsGuy and DJ MC like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Single day. So you don't get the whole weekend.

Nah, I get the whole weekend. Sorry.

If this was a different question, sure.

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Meh, a 24 hour "day" is just an arbitrary amount of time. For the purposes of this exercise "day" means "event" really.

@bopper33

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Meh, a 24 hour "day" is just an arbitrary amount of time. For the purposes of this exercise "day" means "event" really.

No. But if you don't want to answer the actual question, then that's fine.

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

I am answering the question. But I'm interpreting it the correct way.

If this Seattle game went into enough overtimes that it lasted until 12:01 would today no longer count? Or would it count because its on the West Coast and would only be 9:01 pm??

Time is arbitrary. Sports are forever.

@bopper33

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I am answering the question. But I'm interpreting it the correct way.

If this Seattle game went into enough overtimes that it lasted until 12:01 would today no longer count? Or would it count because its on the West Coast and would only be 9:01 pm??

Time is arbitrary. Sports are forever.

Come on man.
  • The Epic likes this

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

Come on man.

NO YOU COME ON
  • The Epic likes this

@bopper33

#39 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Best day because of 2 football games?  No way.  More to the sports world than the NFL.  Has to be some other things going on. 

I think McNulty has the general idea, combining some EPL and some Aussie Open in there as well.  But you can't really always count on those things.

But having said that, not really sure I have an answer.  I'd probably go either Opening Day or first weekend of NCAA tournament, but that's just because I'm more a fan of those sports, and also it's based on more than just 2 games.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Best day because of 2 football games?  No way.  More to the sports world than the NFL.  Has to be some other things going on. 

I think McNulty has the general idea, combining some EPL and some Aussie Open in there as well.  But you can't really always count on those things.

But having said that, not really sure I have an answer.  I'd probably go either Opening Day or first weekend of NCAA tournament, but that's just because I'm more a fan of those sports, and also it's based on more than just 2 games.

If you want to go with one day of the opening weekend of the tourney, go ahead, but the while weekend is not an option. Either way, you're basing that primarily off of one sport jay like anyone picking today is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=