#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Kevin Van Valkenburg said on Sports Tonight and later tweeted that today is the best sports day of the year. 

Agree?

Obvious other contenders include the first Thursday or Friday of March Madness, Opening Day, and the Super Bowl.

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Opening weekend of March Madness and it's not close.
  • BSLChrisStoner, SportsGuy and Chris B like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

This.

Word for word.

Though when Opening Day and the NCAA title game fall an the same day, that's pretty cool. Like in 2009 when the O's beat the Yankees in the afternoon, and the Tarheels won the title that night. Good times.

• The Epic likes this
@beginthebegin71

#4 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Single day. So you don't get the whole weekend.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Today is up there. Especially, if you throw in a good college basketball game or two.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Kevin Van Valkenburg said on Sports Tonight and later tweeted that today is the best sports day of the year. 

Agree?

Obvious other contenders include the first Thursday or Friday of March Madness, Opening Day, and the Super Bowl.

Disagree, back in the 90s when the NFC won title after title, the NFC CG was considered the "real SB" in some places. I still prefer Super Bowl Sunday, but I get how some like having dual games better.

I think it's the first Thursday of the NCAA Tourney. But there's many good choices like you mentioned. We've had similar conversations on here specifically related to "sports holidays" (both real holidays and unofficial ones like the SB). I did say Selection Sunday was the best "sports holiday," as the brackets being revealed and being able to dissect the matchups is a lot of fun. But I think the first day of the Tourney is a better day of sports as there is actual Tourney games going on.

In the past when Opening Day as coincided with the Finals of the Tourney, that's a hard day to top as a whole. Also, New Years Day is great between the Winter Classic and bowl games, it was better when the bowls meant more on that day.

@levineps

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Today is up there. Especially, if you throw in a good college basketball game or two.

Your Caps play at 7:30 tonight. Should be able to get the 1st period in while at HT of the NFCCG.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

This.

Word for word.

Though when Opening Day and the NCAA title game fall an the same day, that's pretty cool. Like in 2009 when the O's beat the Yankees in the afternoon, and the Tarheels won the title that night. Good times.

Didn't see your post, great minds, my friend!

@levineps

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Your Caps play at 7:30 tonight. Should be able to get the 1st period in while at HT of the NFCCG.

I like how the NHL/NBA have used the SB to their advantage in the past by having some good matchups as an "appetizer" to the main event.

@levineps

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

I love it because my bday is 3/20 and almost always falls on one of the first 4 days of the tourney. I'm off work, and parked in a bar ready to go at 10A. There's never not a BDay that gets partially soured after seeing my brackets pretty much immediately implode on an annual basis.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I love it because my bday is 3/20 and almost always falls on one of the first 4 days of the tourney. I'm off work, and parked in a bar ready to go at 10A. There's never not a BDay that gets partially soured after seeing my brackets pretty much immediately implode on an annual basis.

So that's basically like the sports equivalent of being born Christmas?

@levineps

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

So that's basically like the sports equivalent of being born Christmas?

Much better... IMO... I would not be a fan of my BDay being overshadowed/mixed with Christmas... yes. I'm that guy. Selfish BDay guy.

#13 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Much better... IMO... I would not be a fan of my BDay being overshadowed/mixed with Christmas... yes. I'm that guy. Selfish BDay guy.

Not to stray off topic too much but my birthday is close enough to Xmas that I have had relatives pull the "This is your birthday and Christmas present.  Enjoy."

As a kid, it made me fume.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Yes, I will take Thursday or Friday of the tourney, if you only want to go 1 day.

#15 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Yes, I will take Thursday or Friday of the tourney, if you only want to go 1 day.

Whatever day "insert your favorite team" is playing..

So neither for most of us this year...:(

@beginthebegin71

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

As a casual college hoops fan whose team is no longer in the tourney most years, I'll take today over the first day of the Madness.

#17 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

I like Thursday better because Friday is still in the bank.

Honestly today is up there.  I woke up early to watch EPL, buffalo chicken going in the slow cooker and I'm staying up all night to watch the Aussie Open.  Pretty fantastic day.

@fuzydunlop

#18 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

As a casual college hoops fan whose team is no longer in the tourney most years, I'll take today over the first day of the Madness.

That's exactly me with a day like today...And with me not gambling right now, I'm not even watching the Pats game.

Towson vs. Charleston is on my TV as I type.

@beginthebegin71

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Whatever day "insert your favorite team" is playing..

So neither for most of us this year... :(

I approach this question as a neutral sports fan without any stake in it, that's why I said Thursday. Agree with you, whichever day your team is playing that's more exciting. If your team is a blueblood and 99% of the time, you are advancing to the weekend, I don't think it would be as exciting for me to crush some team by 30+.

@levineps

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Who is your college hoops team?

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=