Photo

What are your favorite travel destinations?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

If you go away this Summer, feel free to add any pics of your trips to our Facebook page (linked above).

#42 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just finished booking my family vacation for this summer:

The Black Forest in Germany

We are flying into Basel, Switzerland, renting a car and driving to Schonach, Germany in the heart of the Black Forest, where we rented an apartment. We will spend 9 days touring, hiking, boating, and swimming, plus day trips to Strasbourg, France; Euro Park (Disney-sized theme park); and various castles and palaces.

The idea was to get away from our typical every-other-year trip to Toronto and Baltimore to see the family. The downside is that I don't get to go to any O's games. The bright side is that my kids might actually form some memories of a great family vacation that will last them a lifetime.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#43 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

I really can't wait to visit Europe, specifically Italy and Ireland. One of my lifelong dreams.

Have fun, Nuclear Dish. Sounds like an awesome time.

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

If you didn't like that, I recommend you never go to Mumbai. Worst begging I've ever seen, and they blatantly use their children to do the begging so it's harder to say no. 8 year olds holding 2 year olds, all of whom have eye infections and skin conditions, swarming around you, and if you give even one of them, you will never be left alone. Just the worst abject poverty I've ever seen.

I have absolutely no desire to go to India, so I'll never have to worry about that!
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

I have absolutely no desire to go to India, so I'll never have to worry about that!

My cousin's fiancee lifelong dream was to go to India -- to each their own. Ended up not really liking it. I've also heard stories from one of my other cousins, who travels a lot for both business and pleasure on how he hated it. Must say these stories aren't doing much to get me to want to go there.
@levineps

#46 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm going to Miami and Tampa in the end of September to cross ballpark #s 26 and 27 off the list!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#47 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

If you didn't like that, I recommend you never go to Mumbai. Worst begging I've ever seen, and they blatantly use their children to do the begging so it's harder to say no. 8 year olds holding 2 year olds, all of whom have eye infections and skin conditions, swarming around you, and if you give even one of them, you will never be left alone. Just the worst abject poverty I've ever seen.

Mombasa, Kenya will always stick out to me. They weren't beggars, per se, but the souvenir peddlers there were the worst. And like the beggars, if you bought something from just one of them, the others would swarm on you like locusts.

#48 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm not much of a traveler (fear of airplanes), but if you ever get the chance to go to Fort Lauderdale, FL, do it!
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Mombasa, Kenya will always stick out to me. They weren't beggars, per se, but the souvenir peddlers there were the worst. And like the beggars, if you bought something from just one of them, the others would swarm on you like locusts.

Same in Jamaica.

But I desperately want to go to Africa and India, so I'll deal with this problem. Plus, I would primarily be visiting for nature purposes so I could avoid some of it.

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

I'm not much of a traveler (fear of airplanes), but if you ever get the chance to go to Fort Lauderdale, FL, do it!

I know many have this fear, but you know you are more likely to die on the way to the airport than in the air?
@levineps

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Just booked a trip for the first week of September. 3 days in Barcelona then 6 days in Cyprus.

My girlfriend's sister is married to a British RAF member and they are living in Cyprus with their 2 1/2 year old and ~2 month old. She's been trying to put together a trip for us out there for over a year. I finally have time to do so, but I also insisted that we take the opportunity to at least stop in Barcelona for a few days, which is #2 on my list of cities I most want to visit (behind only New Orleans).

Finding a multi-city flight was a bit tricky, but we were able to make it work for a pretty reasonable rate. Plus we won't need a hotel in Cyprus since we're staying with her sister. Just a hotel for a few nights in Barcelona, which we may be able to split with a couple of our friends who are now living in London and may join us in Barcelona.

I'm super excited about Barcelona. I plan to eat everything I can find and party until the sun comes up. I'm not a club guy, but in Barcelona I feel like you kind of have to be!

#52 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

I know many have this fear, but you know you are more likely to die on the way to the airport than in the air?

It's more of a claustrophobia thing for me. I don't worry about falling out of the sky so much as locking myself into an aluminum tube being blasted 20,000 feet into the sky by a guy wearing a short-sleeve dress shirt and tie with no way to escape.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#53 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Just booked a trip for the first week of September. 3 days in Barcelona then 6 days in Cyprus.

My girlfriend's sister is married to a British RAF member and they are living in Cyprus with their 2 1/2 year old and ~2 month old. She's been trying to put together a trip for us out there for over a year. I finally have time to do so, but I also insisted that we take the opportunity to at least stop in Barcelona for a few days, which is #2 on my list of cities I most want to visit (behind only New Orleans).

Finding a multi-city flight was a bit tricky, but we were able to make it work for a pretty reasonable rate. Plus we won't need a hotel in Cyprus since we're staying with her sister. Just a hotel for a few nights in Barcelona, which we may be able to split with a couple of our friends who are now living in London and may join us in Barcelona.

I'm super excited about Barcelona. I plan to eat everything I can find and party until the sun comes up. I'm not a club guy, but in Barcelona I feel like you kind of have to be!

Check out http://www.homeaway.com. My wife and I have stayed in their condos and apartments many times and have never had a complaint. They are usually the same price as a hotel room and you get more space, a kitchen, washing machine, and free wi-fi (usually).
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#54 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Check out http://www.homeaway.com. My wife and I have stayed in their condos and apartments many times and have never had a complaint. They are usually the same price as a hotel room and you get more space, a kitchen, washing machine, and free wi-fi (usually).

I can recommend http://www.interhome.com. That's who we used for the apartment in Germany, and I know others who have used them for places in France and Greece. As NMS mentioned, they are at least as good a price as a hotel, and while you don't get the feeling of hospitality and service, you have a kitchen, washing machine, (usually) free parking, and (often) free wi-fi.

Be careful, though, because there are often hidden costs - for example, we either need to bring our own sheets and towels or cough up an extra 10 Euro per person. We're packing fairly light (because there's a washing machine), so bringing along sheets and towels is OK for us, but otherwise, it would be a serious headache. I've been told, though, that this is fairly uncommon. I'm just saying to read the fine print wherever you go.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#55 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Heading out to Vegas on Wednesday for a bachelor party. Will be my second time out there, can't wait.

Also, starting to plan a trip up to Montreal in the fall. Gotta give the lady an opportunity to brush up on her French.
@KRL224

#56 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

I can recommend http://www.interhome.com. That's who we used for the apartment in Germany, and I know others who have used them for places in France and Greece. As NMS mentioned, they are at least as good a price as a hotel, and while you don't get the feeling of hospitality and service, you have a kitchen, washing machine, (usually) free parking, and (often) free wi-fi.

Be careful, though, because there are often hidden costs - for example, we either need to bring our own sheets and towels or cough up an extra 10 Euro per person. We're packing fairly light (because there's a washing machine), so bringing along sheets and towels is OK for us, but otherwise, it would be a serious headache. I've been told, though, that this is fairly uncommon. I'm just saying to read the fine print wherever you go.

I agree, you always have to read the fine print. However, we have never had that happen to us with HA. If anything, they'll charge a modest "cleaning fee" which covers the costs of linens and towels.

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Anyone been to Bora Bora?

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have. Beautiful. You thinking of going for your honeymoon? If you are you have to do the over the water bungalow, and also visit the island of Moorea...I actually like it better than Bora Bora.

I will say, though, that it's super expensive and time consuming to get there, so if you decide that it's too much, St. Lucia is pretty comparable and about 9 hours closer. ;)

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

I have. Beautiful. You thinking of going for your honeymoon? If you are you have to do the over the water bungalow, and also visit the island of Moorea...I actually like it better than Bora Bora.

I will say, though, that it's super expensive and time consuming to get there, so if you decide that it's too much, St. Lucia is pretty comparable and about 9 hours closer. ;)

Yea, the overwater bungalow is what I want. It's really expensive but I am really hoping to swing it.

#60 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

It'll be your only honeymoon so if you can swing the price tag, I highly recommend it. Awesome experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=