115 replies to this topic

#1 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

I took a look into PITCHf/x to get an idea of what kind of pitcher Bud Norris really is. Take a look and see if you think he'll be able to help the team reach the playoffs this season.

BSL: Who Is Bud Norris? A PITCHf/x Profile

http://baltimorespor...itchfx-profile/

• BSLChrisStoner, MKlein76, You Play to Win the Game and 2 others like this
@JeffLongBP

#2 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

I think you've got a good point with the closer comment. I don't think the Os would trade JJ this offseason but that doesn't mean they'll resign him or O'Day for 2015 especially if they're planning on keeping Davis and Wieters. Also in 2015, the Os might have Bundy, Gausman, ERod, McFarland and Britton hoping for a spot in the rotation.

• JeffLong likes this

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Good article.

A problem with moving Norris to the pen is that his salary won't be cheap.

#4 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

Good article.

A problem with moving Norris to the pen is that his salary won't be cheap.

I actually wrote about that initially but lost over 2 hours of work because Wordpress hates me.

My point is that the team is paying JJ $6.5 Million this season, and Norris should be around that (though I imagine a little cheaper) next season. Also, his contract status makes him trade-able as well, so he's an intriguing asset.

@JeffLongBP

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

I don't know about paying him 6.5 million to close when he hasn't been a reliever at all and has a propensity to give up homers, especially against lefties.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Good stuff, Jeff. I'm leaving him as our #4 starter until he becomes ineffective. He's quite valuable there. But the periphs are there to suggest he may not work there long term, as you suggest.

The predictability part was particularly interesting. I was thinking that last night, because both homers he gave up were (I believe) on the first pitch of the AB, and were FB's. I got the sense his former teammates knew exactly what was coming and jumped all over it. Both were no doubt about'ers.

#7 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

I don't know about paying him 6.5 million to close when he hasn't been a reliever at all and has a propensity to give up homers, especially against lefties.

He'd be your closer if you have better options in the rotation, not because we want to stick him out there.

@JeffLongBP

#8 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Good stuff, Jeff. I'm leaving him as our #4 starter until he becomes ineffective. He's quite valuable there. But the periphs are there to suggest he may not work there long term, as you suggest.

The predictability part was particularly interesting. I was thinking that last night, because both homers he gave up were (I believe) on the first pitch of the AB, and were FB's. I got the sense his former teammates knew exactly what was coming and jumped all over it. Both were no doubt about'ers.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's sticking in the rotation for now. The suggestion about him being a late inning arm would come as a result of him being pushed out of the rotation by better options (e.g. if Gausman becomes say a #3 next year & we sign someone in FA)

@JeffLongBP

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

He'd be your closer if you have better options in the rotation, not because we want to stick him out there.

Yeah, either way I'm not thrilled about that proposition. If for some reason they don't have a rotation spot for him next year, I'd rather deal him.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think he's sticking in the rotation for now. The suggestion about him being a late inning arm would come as a result of him being pushed out of the rotation by better options (e.g. if Gausman becomes say a #3 next year & we sign someone in FA)

Fair enough. I just sense a general under appreciation of his value in the rotation it seems (not from you, obviously).

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

His stuff would likely be better out of the pen...maybe making him better vs lefties.

#12 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

His stuff would likely be better out of the pen...maybe making him better vs lefties.

Yep. Fastball in the mid-90s would give him a greater margin for error against lefties.

@JeffLongBP

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

As mentioned in Jeff's profile on Norris, the RH went:

6ip, allowing 4 hits, 2 er, 2 hr's, 2 bb's, with 8 k's in his O's debut.

He makes his 2nd O's start tonight in SD.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Eutaw Street Report: Norris off to strong start as an Oriole
http://eutawstreetre...t-as-an-oriole/

#15 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

The O's avoided arbitration with Bud Norris by agreeing to a 1 year $5.3 million contract.

@danconnollysun: RHP Bud Norris, who made $3M in 2013, avoids arb for $5.3M sal in 2014, source says. Os other 5 arbs: Davis, Wieters, Matusz, Hunter, Patton
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@MKlein76

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

MASN: Will Norris become a key part of the Orioles rotation?
http://www.masnsport...s-rotation.html

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

MASN: Norris wants fans to know this Bud's for them
http://www.masnsport...s-for-them.html

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

MLB.com: Norris looking to show true self in 2014
http://mlb.mlb.com/n..._medium=twitter

Feel like O's fans are generally a bit sour on Norris. I'm a fan myself. He has limited upside in my opinion, but I feel like he can be a competent 4th starter. Like that he has 3 straight years of 168.1+ innings.

Do think he would be better in the pen... but until they have someone better than him for the rotation, I'm glad he is around.

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,543 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

Agreed.

And based on the way this offseason is going, he's going to be in the rotation. Probably for the entire season.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,673 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

It was good to see DD be a little aggressive at the deadline last year, but I didn't really understand the aggressiveness on Norris.

You hope he can step forward and do something significant, but there's nothing to really suggest he'd be that guy then or now.

Norris and Britton hold a lot of the keys to the Orioles rotational success this year, so good luck with that.

Trade package for Norris and KRod (neither which had or projected to have had much impact) probably could have nabbed us Masterson this offseason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=