118 replies to this topic

#21 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

People bag on Philly, but I'm at 30th st station having a St Bernardus Christmas ale. And they have pumking on tap and lots of other great beers. No city matches Philly for beer.

Philly is a great city. But plenty of cities beat it for beer.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#22 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

People bag on Philly, but I'm at 30th st station having a St Bernardus Christmas ale. And they have pumking on tap and lots of other great beers. No city matches Philly for beer.
  Philly is a great city. But plenty of cities beat it for beer.
Ok, go for it. Name um.

@fuzydunlop

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

Asheville, NC - Tons of solid microbreweries.

Never been to Portland, OR but they have it on lock as far as craft beers are concerned.

What makes Philly so great? I get they have a great bar culture and all. And Yards is a fine brewery but that's pretty much it. I guess Victory counts.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Asheville, NC - Tons of solid microbreweries.   Never been to Portland, OR but they have it on lock as far as craft beers are concerned.   What makes Philly so great? I get they have a great bar culture and all. And Yards is a fine brewery but that's pretty much it. I guess Victory counts.

What makes Philly so great is you can get just about every beer in the country there. It's not about whats brewed there. I had Pliny the younger in Philly. That happens at their brewery and very few other places. They get heady topper on rare occasions. It's the craft Mecca.

@fuzydunlop

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

What makes Philly so great is you can get just about every beer in the country there. It's not about whats brewed there. I had Pliny the younger in Philly. That happens at their brewery and very few other places. They get heady topper on rare occasions. It's the craft Mecca.

Fair enough.

I need to get up there again soon.

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, while Philly isn't great in regards to beer brewed in the city, the key is that it has a ton of fantastic craft beer bars with great tap lists, including beer like you mention that is hard, if not impossible to find in many other places. You mention Pliny, well Philly (and burbs) is the only city east of the Rockies to my knowledge that even gets Russian River.

#27 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Denver is the only city I've been to that beats Philly. Philly is absolutely a great beer city. Though I hear Portland and San Fran know how to get it done, too.

#28 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Time to get this thread back on track.  Put a pot roast in the crockpot yesterday with potatoes, carrots and muschrooms.  Washed it down with a Devils Backbone Schwarzbier!

• Russ likes this

#29 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Crock pot. Ostrowski's Polish Sausage. Kraut. Flying Dog Winter Ale in the pot.

Had a Hofbrau Dunkel with it.

Mmmm good.

• DuffMan and ChrisWorthington like this

#30 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Crock pot. Ostrowski's Polish Sausage. Kraut. Flying Dog Winter Ale in the pot.

Had a Hofbrau Dunkel with it.

Mmmm good.

My family makes their own kilbasa (polish sausage) and my favorite way to eat it is with Kraut in the crockpot.  I've got some in the freezer too,  next time I make some I'll have to use a brew in there too.  Do you use the whole bottle, also do you add any water to the mixture either?  Something I like to do is boil the meat (insert joke here) for about 30 minutes or so before putting it in the crockpot.  I'll use some of that boiled water in the pot so I'm not losing out on the flavoring.

#31 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

I have a little water in there first maybe half a cup and then a whole bottle of beer.

Having some polish influence in the family always meant that sausage and kraut were served on the Turkey day table and I've continued that tradition.

My wife got me a cooking with beer class years ago when "A Chef's Table" was still open downtown. Best and easiest ribs recipe I got from there was - get a package of country style ribs and a 6-pack of dark beer and boil for at least three hours. Remove from pot and place on a cookie sheet with foil to bake with BBQ sauce at 400 for about 15 minutes.

It comes out more like pork than ribs at that point but it's delicious.

• DuffMan likes this

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have a little water in there first maybe half a cup and then a whole bottle of beer.

Having some polish influence in the family always meant that sausage and kraut were served on the Turkey day table and I've continued that tradition.

My wife got me a cooking with beer class years ago when "A Chef's Table" was still open downtown. Best and easiest ribs recipe I got from there was - get a package of country style ribs and a 6-pack of dark beer and boil for at least three hours. Remove from pot and place on a cookie sheet with foil to bake with BBQ sauce at 400 for about 15 minutes.

It comes out more like pork than ribs at that point but it's delicious.

Sounds easy enough I may have to try that.

#33 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Any recommendations for something Irish besides Guinness?  I need something different to add a little variety to my St. Patrick's Day.  I was going to try Boulevard's Irish Ale, but it doesn't feel authentic.

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Smithwick's is pretty good. Harp...all made by Guiness...

#35 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Any recommendations for something Irish besides Guinness?  I need something different to add a little variety to my St. Patrick's Day.  I was going to try Boulevard's Irish Ale, but it doesn't feel authentic.

For beer?  Not really.  There are, however, a million green cocktails you can make.

I think good Catholic whisky like Jameson will get the job done.

@fuzydunlop

#36 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Yeah I was planning on grabbing some Jameson while it's on sale.  That can fill in for bourbon for a while, since my Buffalo Trace is almost gone.

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Is any bar actually having St. Patty's day specials on St. Pattys day? Everything I've seen has all their specials tonight. Trying to do some day drinking and bangers and mash on Monday. The Still in Timonium has $5 Guinness. Umm...thats not a deal at all for beer with lower abv than miller/coors/bud light.
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

Guiness for whatever reason is always more expensive that other beers. That said some low ABV beers are expensive and even served in 8 or 10 oz glasses sometimes. Cost and ABV isn't always related.

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Guiness for whatever reason is always more expensive that other beers.

Yeah its imported, but my guess is the lay person doesnt know any better. They think because its dark its got a higher abv. I wish the cost v. abv thing would work in my favor. Id love to find a bar with $2 IPAs.
  • Markus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Guiness for whatever reason is always more expensive that other beers. That said some low ABV beers are expensive and even served in 8 or 10 oz glasses sometimes. Cost and ABV isn't always related.

I believe you need a special setup to serve Guinness correctly on tap, something about nitrogen. But that info comes from barroom banter and might not be accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=