#4121 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 December 2022 - 09:42 AM

Violent Night is a movie about a night that is very violent.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4122 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 December 2022 - 10:59 AM

I'm not sure if I've ever seen it all the way through, but if I'm flipping through channels and see "The Martian" on, I love putting it on and watching it for a bit. Happened again the other night and wound up watching the last hour plus of it.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#4123 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 01:05 PM

I'm not sure if I've ever seen it all the way through, but if I'm flipping through channels and see "The Martian" on I love putting it on and watching it for a bit.   Happened again the other night and wound up watching the last hour plus of it.

Great flick!

@BSLMikeRandall

#4124 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:01 AM

Took a couple of the kids to see Wakanda Forever on New Years Eve.  A tad too long, but all in all a solid sequel and they did the best they could with the circumstances of this movie.  The first 5-10 minutes were really good and a nice tribute to Boseman.   There was one surprise about 3/4 of the way through the film that I thought was really good.  The end of the movie had me thinking of the She-Hulk finale though...

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4125 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 January 2023 - 09:55 PM

Elvis sucked. Very Bohemian Rhapsody whatever that’s worth to you. Tom Hanks epically bad.

If you want to watch a good musical biopic check out George and Tammy on Showtime.

#4126 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 03:54 PM

I don't claim to be an expert film maker, but I'm 100% confident I could've cut at least an hour out of Avatar: The Way of Water without losing anything.

The first one is way better.  The only thing going for the second is visuals.

#4127 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:39 PM

Elvis sucked. Very Bohemian Rhapsody whatever that’s worth to you. Tom Hanks epically bad.

If you want to watch a good musical biopic check out George and Tammy on Showtime.

I cannot disagree with you more about Elvis! It was fantastic but you have to like Baz Luhrmann’s style. He has made some uniquely styled movies like Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatsby.

The kid who played Elvis, Austin Butler, absolutely nailed him, spent a year with a voice coach learning to speak and sing like Elvis. All the songs in the movie were sung by him with only Elvis’ voice blended in with his when he was the “older Elvis”. He easily wins the Golden Man this year!

Great movie!

#4128 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 January 2023 - 07:06 PM

I loved The Great Gatsby but this just didn’t work for me. So hokey. But yeah, Butler was really good and you can tell he just has that natural charisma.

Has to be the worst performance of Tom Hanks’ career.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#4129 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 11:44 PM

Elvis was fine. Butler was great and yeah Hanks was awful. I feel like Luhrman has become too redundant as a filmmaker. His movies feel the same, hit the same notes. I loved Great Gatsby but Elvis felt like a clone of that movie.

Pretty silly it's getting serious award talk outside of Butler.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4130 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 05:10 PM

Aftersun was frustrating at times but overall pretty good. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4131 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:49 PM

Rewatched:  The Wrestler over the weekend, dang what a great movie!

• Mike in STL and BSLJamieSieck like this

#4132 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 02:22 PM

Everything Everywhere All at Once - maybe it's because I'm getting older and I find being wowed becoming more rare. I've seen a lot of movies and there is a noticeably lack of originality in movies these days. I would call EEAAO "original" because it does have its own style and identity, but still borrows from the films that came before it. So I wasn't blown away by it. It was fun, but too long. If it wins best picture, which I think it will, good for them. It's well-made and well acted. Well done everything.

Now compare that to Blonde, which was a much more divisive movie, but I found myself more immersed and thinking about it more after it was over. Ana de Armas was amazing in it and at times you saw Marilyn Monroe and not the actress. That rarely ever happens in biopics. Another film that was too long but also never boring.

So I guess I am enjoying "divisive" films more these days than movies that have general acclaim.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#4133 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 March 2023 - 07:38 AM

In honor of it's 20th anniversary (20!?!)  The extended edition of Return of the King will be playing at select Cinemark theaters on April 13th and April 19th.

#4134 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:27 PM

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was amazing, highly recommend for any Nick Cage fans
@DaKittenz

#4135 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 12:41 PM

Speaking of Nic Cage, re-watched Face/Off recently and it is the last film of the golden era for action films.

#4136 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 April 2023 - 06:41 AM

Speaking of Nic Cage, re-watched Face/Off recently and it is the last film of the golden era for action films.

Cage had a 3 movie run of  The Rock, Con Air, and Face Off

#4137 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 06:42 AM

Cage had a 3 movie run of  The Rock, Con Air, and Face Off

All great action films.

#4138 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 May 2023 - 11:44 AM

Trailer for Dune Part Two is out!

#4139 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF