Pedro
Johnson
Smoltz
Raines
Mussina
Biggio

just 8

Why no Bagwell or Piazza?

Piazza is easily the best-hitting catcher ever, and Bagwell has an argument for best first baseman in National League history.

Also, why no Schilling among others. If PEDs aren't a roadblock to you, 10 guys should be on your ballot IMO.

#62 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

It absolutely should matter if you steal 30 bases, but get caught 15 times. That's really not better than someone who stole 7 bases and got caught 3 times, but you wouldn't be making a big deal of that. Sosa's case is based on his amazing stretch as one of the best power hitters ever, not on his early years where he was a good, but not great player. Also, what McGwire or anyone else does on the bases and in the field should matter. Do you really disagree? He still has a good case, though if PEDs aren't considered, but not as one of the 10 best eligible players IMO.

I only disagree with that fact if a player is one of the best ever at something. If a guy is going to only hit 300 home runs, then yes, he should be hitting for a high average, and stealing bases, and flashing the leather if he wants to make a case for the HOF. Even if Rickey Henderson wasn't great at other things, hes still a HOFer to me based on his steals alone, best ever.

I agree that I'm putting more well rounded players ahead of one trick ponies, Biggio, Mattingly, Griffey when his time comes. There is something to be said for doing everything well. Something also to be said for being really good at one or two things. Ozzie Smith for example awesome defense and base runner that can't hit a lick. If Ozzie was just okay as a fielder he's not a HOFer.

Curious to know who is on your top ten. Any pitchers that are exceptional base runners and fielders? Since if all they do is pitch well, that's not good enough, right?
@BSLMikeRandall

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

The last part of that post is silly and you know that. I'll post my top 10 sometime next week when I get home and have a chance to really get into it. I did write a long article on this site last year with my HOF ballot. So try to find that if you just can't wait. ;)
  • Mike in STL likes this

#64 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

The last part of that post is silly and you know that. I'll post my top 10 sometime next week when I get home and have a chance to really get into it. I did write a long article on this site last year with my HOF ballot. So try to find that if you just can't wait. ;)

It was meant to be silly. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#65 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

It was meant to be silly. 

Good.

#66 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

If you think there are 20 deserving players on the ballot you really need to raise your standards.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

If you think there are 20 deserving players on the ballot you really need to raise your standards.

Or you need to study more.

#68 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

Nope. There isn't 20 worthy players on that ballot.  And Im not necessarily holding PEDs against anyone.

#69 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

It's so depressing that I can look at that ballot and name a full second ten of guys who also should be in:

Kent

E. Martinez

Mattingly

McGriff

McGwire

Sheffield

Smoltz

Sosa

Trammell

Walker

Lets take these 10 for example. Trammell is a legit candidate. Smoltz is a legit candidate. Everyone else has real question marks. I could be talked into some but certainly not all of them. You really have to stretch to even make decent arguments for Mattingly or McGriff.  Sosa was a complete product of PEDs. Guy was a nice AS caliber player for a 4-5 year  without the cheating. 

I mean come on. You guys grew up watching these guys play. There should be no excuse not to effectively use the eye test. Anybody sitting there telling me they are voting in Fred McGriff should never ever get a vote. Not even one here at BSL.

I'll buy that there could be 15 worthy players on the ballot. But the last 3-4 guys would need serious discussion. To just vote them in plus another 5 is just careless. 

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

Nope. There isn't 20 worthy players on that ballot.  And Im not necessarily holding PEDs against anyone.

I agree.  There are 20 players you can make cases for based on some historical standards.... but I'm a small hall guy. There are guys eligible who had great careers, that I don't think should be HOF.

#71 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

I agree.  There are 20 players you can make cases for based on some historical standards.... but I'm a small hall guy. There are guys eligible who had great careers, that I don't think should be HOF.

You know what they say about guys with small HOFs...

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#72 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

Biggio, Bagwell, Bonds, Clemens, RJ, Pedro, Mussina, Schilling, Smoltz, Piazza and Raines...those guys are all shoo ins.

I guess 20 may be a stretch but I think you can find 3-7 more guys that have excellent cases.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Ha.

I get the arguments people make for inclusion....  it is hard to say 'no' to some guys when you look back and see some of the players who are in the HOF.

Ultimately though I think just because someone else previously got in with lower standards, doesn't mean you have to include someone else.

#74 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

Well, has anybody gotten in recently who you think doesn't deserve it?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

Rice and Dawson for sure...and if you use them as benchmarks, there are easily 20 guys who should be in.

#76 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

On the actual ballot or like vet picks?? 

I would need to see a list by the voters over the last 10 years. No one stands out off the top of the head. 

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

Rice a voters pick or vets pick??

#78 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

Rice a voters pick or vets pick??

Voter

#79 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:55 PM

It's not the size of the HOF, it's the motion of the voting.

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#80 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

I mean come on. You guys grew up watching these guys play. There should be no excuse not to effectively use the eye test.

The eye test put Andre Dawson and Jim Rice in the Hall of Fame. And, frankly, it's the primary argument for Mattingly, too.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=