#201 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

I'm perfectly fine with him getting elected, but I can't understand why he got more votes than Mussina and Schilling combined with plenty of room to spare.

Saves.

Which is stupid. Those guys could have been great closers too. I think that's part of it, but being part of possibly the best rotation ever on a team that made the playoffs every year plays a big role too.

#202 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Which is stupid. Those guys could have been great closers too. I think that's part of it, but being part of possibly the best rotation ever on a team that made the playoffs every year plays a big role too.

Sure, it's stupid. And quite a few writers have mentioned that. But he's got the narratives ("Three Aces", playoffs every year, comeback from surgery, three years as a "dominant" closer, etc.).

@DJ_McCann

#203 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

I think Smoltz got in before the other guys mainly because he's the Third Musketeer, and the other two were already in...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#204 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

I think Smoltz got in before the other guys mainly because he's the Third Musketeer, and the other two were already in...

Thats what Schilling said. Guys like you and I and the rest of us can say that, but for Schilling, who didn't get in to say that, comes off like a prick. Id be fine of he doesn't get in now. He seems to be a giant sore loser about not getting in, and its not like he cant never get in.
@BSLMikeRandall

#205 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

Really like what Jonah Keri said last night about Smoltz.

He felt he deserved to be in the HOF but he shouldn't be rewarded because he was really good at a much lesser position. He's 100% right.

#206 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

Dumbest Man Alive Gives Dumbest Possible Explanation For Dumb HOF Vote

@DJ_McCann

#207 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

Thats what Schilling said. Guys like you and I and the rest of us can say that, but for Schilling, who didn't get in to say that, comes off like a prick. Id be fine of he doesn't get in now. He seems to be a giant sore loser about not getting in, and its not like he cant never get in.

I agree that Schilling is way too impressed with himself... that's what too much ESPN-love will do to some people...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#208 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Dumbest Man Alive Gives Dumbest Possible Explanation For Dumb HOF Vote

People talk about how hard it is to figure out who to take the vote from, well it would be a difficult decision for many, just like it is a difficult decision on whether many players are HOF'ers or not, however, there are some guys that are like Pedro Martinez and some that are like Darin Erstad, in other words, incredibly obvious. Rob Parker falls into the latter category and that's an insult to Erstad. Take away the vote from guys like him!

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#209 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

Also, he's republican, and we can't have those guys cluttering up our sterling leftist Hall.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#210 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Also, he's republican, and we can't have those guys cluttering up our sterling leftist Hall.

On twitter I saw an exchange Schilling had with Rob Neyer. Schilling said that was a joke that missed badly, because he certainly knows Smoltz is a staunch republican.

#211 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

Commish: Don't surmise PED use

http://espn.go.com/m...surmise-ped-use

"I think it's unfair," Manfred said, in answer to a follow-up question, "for people to surmise that Player A did X, Y or Z, absent a positive test, or proof that we produced in an investigation, or whatever. I just think it runs contrary to a very fundamental notion in our society, that you're innocent until somebody proves you're guilty."

Its really a shame that this has to be said, and that it hasn't been said the last few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=