#181 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Like I said, not if it takes a vote away. Next year, for example, I might be willing to throw one of those votes at Jason Kendall or Gary Matthews Jr. But, the ballot is going to be crowded again, so no chance. Same in 2017, when Arthur Rhodes and Melvin Mora get their year in the sun.

But what happens if 75% of the other voters want to jokingly throw a vote towards Arthur Rhodes?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#182 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

But what happens if 75% of the other voters want to jokingly throw a vote towards Arthur Rhodes?

Who would, outside of Baltimore and Seattle?

@DJ_McCann

#183 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

By the way, one of the Boone voters was Hal McCoy in Cincinnati, and...he's got a reason.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@DJ_McCann

#184 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

By the way, one of the Boone voters was Hal McCoy in Cincinnati, and...he's got a reason.

This is a great article but sort of illustrates my point.  You shouldn't vote for a guy because he's "nice" or "your buddy" or whatever.  Just like someone like Eddie Murray shouldn't have his demeanor held against him.  It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Who You Like.

But maybe I'm just being a cynical hard ass.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#185 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

This is a great article but sort of illustrates my point.  You shouldn't vote for a guy because he's "nice" or "your buddy" or whatever.  Just like someone like Eddie Murray shouldn't have his demeanor held against him.  It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Who You Like.

But maybe I'm just being a cynical hard ass.

No you aren't, you are 100% correct.

#186 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

Somebody voted for Darrin Erstad, too.

I have no problem with people being willing to throw a random guy an "emotional" vote like that. Unless that vote takes one away from a more-deserving candidate.

You have no problem with someone taking a privilege like this and making a joke out of it?

Moose barely got more than last year.

The whole process is a joke and assholes that vote like this should have their ballots taking away,

#187 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

You have no problem with someone taking a privilege like this and making a joke out of it?

Exactly which rock are you crawling out from under? Plymouth? Ayers? Fraggle?

@DJ_McCann

#188 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Exactly which rock are you crawling out from under? Plymouth? Ayers? Fraggle?

Yeah... people have done it before...  yes, there are larger things in the world to scream about.....  but when there are at-least 10 viable candidates for selection, and 4 get in...  it is pretty insulting imo to see Erstad get even 1 vote.

#189 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Yeah... people have done it before...  yes, there are larger things in the world to scream about.....  but when there are at-least 10 viable candidates for selection, and 4 get in...  it is pretty insulting imo to see Erstad get even 1 vote.

What if there aren't ten candidates? Or you don't think there are ten candidates (because that opinion can differ within reason)?

@DJ_McCann

#190 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

What if there aren't ten candidates? Or you don't think there are ten candidates (because that opinion can differ within reason)?

I struggle with the idea that anyone could have within reason really articulated that there were not 10 legitimate candidates.

Going with that hypothetical... a person voting for a candidate like Erstad should lose their vote faster than Le Batard lost his right to vote last year imo.

EDIT: Some of this is just venting. The whole process is annoying... and I frankly think it's crazy that there is probably better debate and critical thinking here in these BSL threads vs. what some writers with votes exercised.

• mweb08 likes this

#191 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

What is the point in voting for Erstad? And is that point a valid one?

#192 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

I struggle with the idea that anyone could have within reason really articulated that there were not 10 legitimate candidates.
Going with that hypothetical... a person voting for a candidate like Erstad should lose their vote faster than Le Batard lost his right to vote last year imo.

EDIT: Some of this is just venting. The whole process is annoying... and I frankly think it's crazy that there is probably better debate and critical thinking here in these BSL threads vs. what some writers with votes exercised.

Yep...the process is terrible and it's idiotic to even remotely defend voting for Erstsd or Boone.

There are 15 or so viable candidates and you vote for guys who don't even belong on the ballot? Lol...what a joke.

#193 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

I'm suprised more people arent up in arms about Smoltz. Im ok with it, but I probably wouldnt have put him in my 10.
  • Russ likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#194 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

I'm suprised more people arent up in arms about Smoltz. Im ok with it, but I probably wouldnt have put him in my 10.

I'm perfectly fine with him getting elected, but I can't understand why he got more votes than Mussina and Schilling combined with plenty of room to spare.

#195 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

I'm perfectly fine with him getting elected, but I can't understand why he got more votes than Mussina and Schilling combined with plenty of room to spare.

But Smoltz was in the playoffs so often!

#196 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

But Smoltz was in the playoffs so often!

His postseason track record is a significant part of his resume and that's fine. However, Schilling has an even better postseason track record and Mussina's is quite good too.

#197 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

If Mussina had his same career with the Braves, he'd be a Hall of Famer today.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#198 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

Saves.

@DJ_McCann

#199 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

If Mussina had his same career with the Braves, he'd be a Hall of Famer today.

If he had the same career with only one team (Orioles OR Yankees), same.

@DJ_McCann

#200 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

What is the point in voting for Erstad? And is that point a valid one?

http://www.baseball-...erstada01.shtml

If the voter gave a justification, I bet it would be his Andersonian 2000 season.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=