#121 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

The one who thought all three players played for one team.

I think of Maddux primarily as a Brave, but that's probably somewhat reflective of my age.

Ahhh..

I'm also a Cubs fan, so followed him as a prospect, and through his early career. Saw him pitch a 3 hit shutout in Wrigley in 1992, the year before he left for Atlanta.

@beginthebegin71

#122 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Ahhh..

I'm also a Cubs fan, so followed him as a prospect, and through his early career. Saw him pitch a 3 hit shutout in Wrigley in 1992, the year before he left for Atlanta.

So 3 Cy Youngs as a Brave versus 1 as a Cub. 8.5-9 seasons (called up in Sept 1986/trade mid-2006) as a Cub versus 11 as a Brave. Not to mention all the postseason success.

@levineps

#123 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

So 3 Cy Youngs as a Brave versus 1 as a Cub. 8.5-9 seasons (called up in Sept 1986/trade mid-2006) as a Cub versus 11 as a Brave. Not to mention all the postseason success.

10 years in Chicago, 11 in Atlanta..

But yea, the most success was clearly as a Brave. Won't deny that obviously.

@beginthebegin71

#124 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

10 years in Chicago, 11 in Atlanta..

But yea, the most success was clearly as a Brave. Won't deny that obviously.

You're counting September 1986 as an entire year?

I know some people feel extra loyal to their first team like Sparky Anderson went in as a Red despite having a much longer tenure as a Tiger, I just see this case as rather obvious. I think the player should be able to choose as long as they can make a reasonable case.

@levineps

#125 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

You're counting September 1986 as an entire year?

I know some people feel extra loyal to their first team like Sparky Anderson went in as a Red despite having a much longer tenure as a Tiger, I just see this case as rather obvious. I think the player should be able to choose as long as they can make a reasonable case.

I'm just going by what he said on the stage today. He said 10 seasons as a Cub, 11 as a Brave.

@beginthebegin71

#126 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

I'm just going by what he said on the stage today. He said 10 seasons as a Cub, 11 as a Brave.

If he wanted to be accurate, he could've said parts of 10 seasons, since it wouldn't even equal 9 total as a Cub.

@levineps

#127 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

If he wanted to be accurate, he could've said parts of 10 seasons, since it wouldn't even equal 9 total as a Cub.

Man, you're tough.

@beginthebegin71

#128 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

And he never won a Cy Young or a World Series. (Yes I know there's plenty of valid reasons he should be in)

What would everyone's reaction to be if he went in (hypothetically) as a Yankee? 

I would be disappointed that the Hall made a poor decision (although poor decisions, or at least a dearth of good ones, seem to be their M.O. at this point). But I would be very happy to see him go in.

And I'd still hope for a statue, though if he went in as a Yankee that would be very unlikely.

@DJ_McCann

#129 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Did Maddux go in without a logo? I couldn't tell for sure, but I thought that's what it looked like.

I enjoyed the ceremony, though I only watched parts of it. I liked Maddux's veiled fart joke with his brother, and Torre's "You should rent" advice from Ted Turner. It was interesting to see Thomas get so emotional for his entire speech, and I loved the roll call of all his various teammates over the years.

@DJ_McCann

#130 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

I would be disappointed that the Hall made a poor decision (although poor decisions, or at least a dearth of good ones, seem to be their M.O. at this point). But I would be very happy to see him go in.

And I'd still hope for a statue, though if he went in as a Yankee that would be very unlikely.

You have your number retired by the O's to get statute. To get your number retired by the O's you have to go into the HOF as as an Oriole? Am I wrong?

@levineps

#131 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

You have your number retired by the O's to get statute. To get your number retired by the O's you have to go into the HOF as as an Oriole? Am I wrong?

I'm not sure if that is officially codified or just informal tradition.

@DJ_McCann

#132 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

No logo for Maddux or LaRussa.

@beginthebegin71

#133 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

No logo for Maddux or LaRussa.

Both make sense. LaRussa especially, because even though he was with the Cardinals just this side of forever he did go to three World Series and two more LCS with the Athletics.

@DJ_McCann

#134 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

@TheBigHurt_35 I would like to say I left a very important person out of my speech yesterday!! Ed Cassian my favorite Traveling secretary ever!!!

JERK

@levineps

#135 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

HBT: Great Moments in Steroids Derp

If you have an argument that Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and Tony La Russa wouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame but for the PEDs story becoming a big one, I’d really like to hear it.

Heck, here’s a better argument: if the PED issue had not been blown up and used for so much grandstanding, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro would be in the Hall, as would Bonds, Clemens, Bagwell and Biggio. With those off the ballot, other worthy candidates like Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling would have more votes and may be in now already.

That's some pretty great irony...

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=