58 replies to this topic

#1 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'll give you three guesses. GIve me 3 names, trade back or up can be an option too. If you think they are trading up tell me who you think they trade up for. Trading back makes it a lot harder to pick just 1 name so if you guess trade back give me the position you think they will take with their first pick . In bold, tell me the player/option you would bet heaviest on.

I'll start:

Peter Konz
Trade back(Guard)
Trade Up (Hightower)

Sticking with Konz as the most likely option. I think word getting out that the Ravens may not like him could be disinformation. I think they'd love to draft Hightower or even have a shot at trading for him but I get a feeling he might be gone by 20 overall.

#2 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

My belief is that Ozzie will deal back into the early part of Round 2, meaning picks #33-#42, and will add a third rounder in the deal. Something like a deal with Miami where we give up pick #29 for picks 42 (R2/10) and 74 (R3/10).

Players we'll be eyeing around then could be a C/G, WR or DE/Pass Rusher.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Right now, I say they trade back.

But it also depends how the board plays out.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

My belief is that Ozzie will deal back into the early part of Round 2, meaning picks #33-#42, and will add a third rounder in the deal. Something like a deal with Miami where we give up pick #29 for picks 42 (R2/10) and 74 (R3/10).

Players we'll be eyeing around then could be a C/G, WR or DE/Pass Rusher.

They traded down from #25 to #43 in 2010 and got a 3rd (70th) and 4th (114) rounder in return.

I think it's possible the Ravens do move down out of the 1st round. DeCosta was interviewed last week and said after the top 10 or so guys, the next 20-30 guys are pretty interchangeable, that sounds like a trade back to me. If they do move down roughly as far as you suggest, I think they'll get more than just a 3rd round pick for doing so, although maybe not also a 4th rounder. Maybe a 5th or something.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Going by the nfl draft points chart(which a little outdated) it would cost a team a 3rd rounder for the Ravens to stay in the top 10 picks in second round.

My hope is that Weedon drops and there is a bidding war between teams like the Browns and Dolphins..but I expect Weedon to be off the board before the Ravens pick.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Going by the nfl draft points chart(which a little outdated) it would cost a team a 3rd rounder for the Ravens to stay in the top 10 picks in second round.

My hope is that Weedon drops and there is a bidding war between teams like the Browns and Dolphins..but I expect Weedon to be off the board before the Ravens pick.

I think it was Peter King's article this week that said the NFL Draft chart, in the forms we've seen it, is completely useless now to current GMs. The new CBA, with the controlled cost of picks makes early-round picks more valuable. But there are even more factors which complicate it, like the fact that if both the 11th and 12th overall picks (may have been 12 and 13, but was def a one-pick difference) end up having their club option picked up for the 5th season, the 11th pick would make about $3M more in that 5th season than the 12th pick. So it's almost better to be at 12 than 11. I'd be very interested in seeing how the teams evaluate these picks now, although I'm certain that is still proprietary.

A 3rd and a 4th like we got for the Tebow pick is probably not going to happen, especially since that pick sort of had a premium on it since McDaniels loved Tebow and the consensus was they overpaid. I would expect another, later pick though in addition to just a 3rd rounder. I think that would likely be a very good move for the Ravens, especially if they like a lot of the C/G types in the 2nd/3rd round range almost as much as Konz.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

I think it will be very difficult to trade back. Heard people on NFL Network, and ESPN in the last couple of days saying there is a minimal talent differential between 20-50. If that is accurate, everyone will want to fall back.

If all of the latest Mocks are basically accurate, it seems likely that Konz will be there when the Ravens pick. I think right now he is the most likely selection. I think it unlikely that the Ravens trade up. I do think it is possible that someone that the Ravens rank higher than Konz falls to them. Seems to happen every year.

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

If most teams are trying to trade back than it would behoove the Ravens to try to move up (buyer's market for a higher pick) and take Hightower.

That's my guess.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I think it will be very difficult to trade back. Heard people on NFL Network, and ESPN in the last couple of days saying there is a minimal talent differential between 20-50. If that is accurate, everyone will want to fall back.

If all of the latest Mocks are basically accurate, it seems likely that Konz will be there when the Ravens pick. I think right now he is the most likely selection. I think it unlikely that the Ravens trade up. I do think it is possible that someone that the Ravens rank higher than Konz falls to them. Seems to happen every year.

Right, I think it might be tough to move back because the general thought is 20-50 is relatively close. And the Ravens can;t move back just to move back. A team will have to make a fair offer for 29. I do think someone like Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Nick Perry, or Kendall Wright could drop and the Ravens snatch them up.

The intersting name there for me is Wright. It's hard for me to get a feel on how high the Ravens have him ranked. On one hand, he's smaller, didn't run a great time at combine and Pro Day, and is apparently fat. On the other hand, his game tape says he's a big time player. So what wins out, the game tape or the measurables.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

I don't like what I am hearing about Wright. 16% body fat? For a WR? That screams poor work ethic to me.

I agree that it's unlikley we can trade back. That's why I mentioned Weedon. He may be the one guy some team will move up for.

#11 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Mark my words, If Baltimore can't get Hightower at 29 they will trade out of the first. It is becoming more apparent they are not impressed by a ton of prospects in the backend of the first round. I hope I am not the only one saying that I'm not overly impressed by Konz and still don't feel he is worthy of a first round pick. I really like Hill but I'm not really sure we're looking for a project at Wide Receiver. As good as Torrey Smith was last season, he is still technically a project because he has some areas to improve on. I was certain Baltimore might take him but I am backing off of that now. So I will go on record now as saying if it's not Hightower, Baltimore will not pick in the first round.
@Langley486

#12 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Mark my words, If Baltimore can't get Hightower at 29 they will trade out of the first. It is becoming more apparent they are not impressed by a ton of prospects in the backend of the first round. I hope I am not the only one saying that I'm not overly impressed by Konz and still don't feel he is worthy of a first round pick. I really like Hill but I'm not really sure we're looking for a project at Wide Receiver. As good as Torrey Smith was last season, he is still technically a project because he has some areas to improve on. I was certain Baltimore might take him but I am backing off of that now. So I will go on record now as saying if it's not Hightower, Baltimore will not pick in the first round.

This makes sense, and I believe Hightower will be gone before the Ravens pick. However, there is the option of moving up, but it depends on how the staff/Ozzie rate Hightower and others that may drop lower than anticipated. I anticipate a trade back, but, as always, time will tell.

#13 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

WalterFootball.com is going against the grain and predicting we draft Stephen Hill. Kid certainly has a lot of boom or bust potential.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#14 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

WalterFootball.com is going against the grain and predicting we draft Stephen Hill. Kid certainly has a lot of boom or bust potential.

I hope not. I don't like boom or bust in Round One. The Ravens would shock me if he were their pick at 29.

#15 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

This makes sense, and I believe Hightower will be gone before the Ravens pick. However, there is the option of moving up, but it depends on how the staff/Ozzie rate Hightower and others that may drop lower than anticipated. I anticipate a trade back, but, as always, time will tell.

Moving up is something Ozzie has tried to avoid in the past besides the times he feels he absolutely has to when a prospect is either A)slipping down (Michael Oher) or B) He absolutely must have a player and will be taken (Joe Flacco). I don't feel as though Baltimore feels like they absolutely MUST have Hightower this year. He is certainly a great prospect and has a great head on his shoulder, but Ozzie values third round picks and that's what it would take (plus our first) to move up and I just don't see it happening (in other words, I agree that Hightower will not be there at 29). As far as your opinion on the boom or bust in Stephen Hill, I agree with your analysis. First rounders are not worth risking on a boom or bust player. That is what we have 3rd and 4th rounders for. If we're going to risk on a boom or bust player, my guess is T.Y Hilton or Joe Adams in the 3rd round (I think Hilton is worth a 3rd round gamble). Both are great athletes and from the games and film I have watched of them, would fit perfectly into the Ravens system. I like their upside more than Floyd, Hill or Wrights upside.
@Langley486

#16 BirdsofPrey

BirdsofPrey
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think they'll move up a few spots and take LB Shea McClellin

McClellin is what this team needs opposite of Suggs. He has been compared to players like Brooks Reed and even Clay Matthews. He's much more than a pass rusher though. He played all over the field while at Boise State. He saw time at DE, OLB, and 3-4 inside LB.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I would be shocked if they took G or WR in the first round. The exception would be like if Cordy Glenn were to drop to them. I was also thinking it was possible they would take K Wright should he drop but I just don't think he's the type of WR they want as their #2. I think they prefer taller guys on the outside. Still, outside shot if Wright drops they take him. Other than that there is too much 2nd and 3rd round talent at both G and WR for the Ravens to draft that position at #29. I think they would be working really hard, maybe even taking less than appropriate value to move back. For example, to move from say 40-29 it should probably take a 3rd round pick. I could see the Ravens doing it for a 4th rounder. I think to a point they would be willing to sell low on their draft pick.

They really might not be that high on Konz but if they get stuck I see them taking the only C with a late 1st or 2nd round grade over a WR or G where there are probably 5 or 6 at each position with late 1st or 2nd round grades. Do I necessarily believe they have a big grade on Konz??? No, but my guess is he's still top 40 on their board while they probably have 10 combined G or WRs on their board anywhere from 30-60. Situation dictates in that position to take the C and your still probably going to be able to get value at WR or G in the 2nd round. I mean maybe I'm worng in they have a 1st round grade on G Silatolu or Kevin Zeitler and take one of them but I wouldn't bet on it.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Mayock and Kiper have Ravens getting Hightower without moving up. That has to be their realistic dream scenario at this point.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Mayock and Kiper have Ravens getting Hightower without moving up. That has to be their realistic dream scenario at this point.

Yeah, ideal for them. I think they would run the card up to the podium if either he or Upshaw were to drop. I actually agree with one of the previous posters above in that I don;t see them trading up to get a guy. Maybe if they only had to jump a few spots and didn't have to give up a 3rd rounder. With so much talent thats expected in the 3rd round they just can't afford to give that pick away.

The one thing you can always count on the Ravens for is being prepared for all situations. I suspect they'll be working the phones early to potentially find someone to trade back with, they'll also be ready to pounce if a player drops.

#20 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Yeah, ideal for them. I think they would run the card up to the podium if either he or Upshaw were to drop. I actually agree with one of the previous posters above in that I don;t see them trading up to get a guy. Maybe if they only had to jump a few spots and didn't have to give up a 3rd rounder. With so much talent thats expected in the 3rd round they just can't afford to give that pick away.

The one thing you can always count on the Ravens for is being prepared for all situations. I suspect they'll be working the phones early to potentially find someone to trade back with, they'll also be ready to pounce if a player drops.

Yeah I think we're on the same page here. In an ideal world, and I certainly do think it is very possible, Hightower falls to Baltimore. That's the only way you'll see him in a Ravens uniform.
@Langley486

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=