#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

Looks awfully similar. Wonder if there's an Auburn in the field next year? Florida needs to have a big year, maybe they'll surprise? (I hope not). 

That top 5 is basically what I expect to actually see. We'll see what happens with all the declarations forthcoming. 

But yeah, a year older Jameis Winston... gonna be tough to beat. 

#3 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Florida in and Mizzou not is exactly why I can't stand espn.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

UF didn't make this one (USA Today)

@levineps

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Whether or not UF belongs in any preseason Top 25 is certainly debatable, but it's not a stretch to expect a bounce-back for them in 2014. Don't know much about who Missouri returns, but with Florida and Georgia returning some healthy players who were lost this season, and SC being in the mix as always, the Tigers would appear to be facing much tougher sledding in the SEC East.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Sports Illustrated: After winning title, FSU prepares to enter new era

http://sportsillustr...s-championship/

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

2014 Pac-12 Schedule

Championship Game back on Friday with FOX having it this year.

Fri., Dec. 5
Pac-12 Football Championship Game (FOX)

@levineps

#8 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Whether or not UF belongs in any preseason Top 25 is certainly debatable, but it's not a stretch to expect a bounce-back for them in 2014. Don't know much about who Missouri returns, but with Florida and Georgia returning some healthy players who were lost this season, and SC being in the mix as always, the Tigers would appear to be facing much tougher sledding in the SEC East.

Come on. They were beyond pathetic this year. I've hadn't seen such an inept offense since 2012 Auburn. I know they had injuries, but nothing that should've resulted in 4-8.

They certainly could bounce back, look what we did this year. But, they shouldn't get any benefit of the doubt or any votes. If not for being "Florida" they don't get any votes.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Come on. They were beyond pathetic this year. I've hadn't seen such an inept offense since 2012 Auburn. I know they had injuries, but nothing that should've resulted in 4-8.

They certainly could bounce back, look what we did this year. But, they shouldn't get any benefit of the doubt or any votes. If not for being "Florida" they don't get any votes.

I just said it's not hard to see them bouncing back in 2014, I didn't make any predictions as to how much. As for being ranked to start the season, I'm just the messenger, so you'll have to take that up with Mark Schlabach. Although by drawing comparisons with 2012 and 2013 Auburn, you're pretty much making a case for people to consider ranking teams like Florida.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

2014 Pac-12 Schedule

Championship Game back on Friday with FOX having it this year.

Translation: Lots of empty seats again this year.

#11 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

I just said it's not hard to see them bouncing back in 2014, I didn't make any predictions as to how much. As for being ranked to start the season, I'm just the messenger, so you'll have to take that up with Mark Schlabach. Although by drawing comparisons with 2012 and 2013 Auburn, you're pretty much making a case for people to consider ranking teams like Florida.

You said it's debatable for them to be in the Top 25. I disagree, and said why.

If people think that a 1 in a million situation like Auburn's turn around qualifies another team to do it again, then they probably shouldn't be voting on which team is better.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

You said it's debatable for them to be in the Top 25. I disagree, and said why.

If people think that a 1 in a million situation like Auburn's turn around qualifies another team to do it again, then they probably shouldn't be voting on which team is better.

Well, here's a little more explanation from him if you're interested. And rest assured, Schlabach does not hold an actual vote in any meaningful poll.

Ten predictions for 2014

10. Florida will make a bowl game: Perhaps no coach will have a hotter seat entering the 2014 season than Florida's Will Muschamp, who is coming off a 4-8 disaster, the Gators' first losing season since 1979. Florida gets back several injured starters, including quarterback Jeff Driskel, and will go 9-3 this coming season to save Muschamp's job.

Muschamp hired Duke offensive coordinator Kurt Roper to revamp his offense, after the Gators ranked 112th nationally -- the third straight year they were 100th or worse among FBS teams. Florida lost its last seven games of the season and threw only four touchdown passes during its losing streak.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Translation: Lots of empty seats again this year.

I agree there will likely be more, but I don't think Stanford suddenly gets an additional 10-20k by having it on Saturday. IIRC, Oregon had good attendance the year before.

@levineps

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

I agree there will likely be more, but I don't think Stanford suddenly gets an additional 10-20k by having it on Saturday. IIRC, Oregon had good attendance the year before.

What was Stanford's overall attendance like this year? It would seem to me it would make a huge difference, especially considering the daily rush-hour traffic in the area and the game starting at something like 5:30 PT. I see why FOX does it that way, most years the Big Ten will be a bigger TV draw than the Pac-12 so the Pac gets stuck with Friday, but what a middle-finger that is to the fans that want to go to the game.

Don't recall if Oregon sold every seat or not. I know a couple people up here who have tickets, and they ended up having to take the day off of work to go. It's one thing for a regular season game on a Thursday or Friday, since you know that months ahead, but with this you only have a few days.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

What was Stanford's overall attendance like this year? It would seem to me it would make a huge difference, especially considering the daily rush-hour traffic in the area and the game starting at something like 5:30 PT. I see why FOX does it that way, most years the Big Ten will be a bigger TV draw than the Pac-12 so the Pac gets stuck with Friday, but what a middle-finger that is to the fans that want to go to the game.

Don't recall if Oregon sold every seat or not. I know a couple people up here who have tickets, and they ended up having to take the day off of work to go. It's one thing for a regular season game on a Thursday or Friday, since you know that months ahead, but with this you only have a few days.

Respectable for the most part (https://en.wikipedia...l_football_team). I think a big factor regardless of the day of the week is how relevant the game is. If the national championship isn't impacted and host team plays in the Rose Bowl somewhat often, there's not as much incentive. Not a home game, but many FSU fans stayed home from the ACC CG because they wanted to save up for the Rose Bowl.

Looks like Oregon oversold the year before on Friday (https://en.wikipedia...ampionship_Game).

You do know in many cases, whether you have a good chance to host it or not a few weeks out. And worst case scenario, you know the Saturday night before for the following Friday night. Not saying it's ideal, but I think Stanford could've drawn better than they did and I'm not convinced they would've come close to selling out if pushed back a day -- I have a hard time believing that they would've sold 10-20k more tickets by pushing it back a day. I'm thinking it would be more like 5-10k.

@levineps

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

I seem to recall the weather was horrible the night Stanford hosted. If the weather forecast in the days leading up predicted that, it could also have had an impact along with the other aspects.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

I seem to recall the weather was horrible the night Stanford hosted. If the weather forecast in the days leading up predicted that, it could also have had an impact along with the other aspects.

Here's the recap (ESPN), mentions scattered showers dampening the field, skimming through the pictures doesn't make the conditions look anything out of the normal. The weather, selling tickets in a short period of time, being on a Friday (not a problem in Oregon) are all factors, but I don't think if it was on a Saturday at 4, all sunny, and 75 degrees, they sell 45k tickets with the opponent and Stanford's standing staying the same. Stanford was 8th at the time, they couldn't get higher than the Rose Bowl and they had been there a bunch in recent years. If they were playing for their first Rose Bowl in 15 years, I would think they would've been more motivated to show up, JMO.

@levineps

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Here's the recap (ESPN), mentions scattered showers dampening the field, skimming through the pictures doesn't make the conditions look anything out of the normal. The weather, selling tickets in a short period of time, being on a Friday (not a problem in Oregon) are all factors, but I don't think if it was on a Saturday at 4, all sunny, and 75 degrees, they sell 45k tickets with the opponent and Stanford's standing staying the same. Stanford was 8th at the time, they couldn't get higher than the Rose Bowl and they had been there a bunch in recent years. If they were playing for their first Rose Bowl in 15 years, I would think they would've been more motivated to show up, JMO.

Last year was Stanford's first Rose Bowl appearance since 2000, and the last time before that was 1972.

• Oriole85 likes this

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

Last year was Stanford's first Rose Bowl appearance since 2000, and the last time before that was 1972.

I should've said major bowls as they were in both the Orange and Fiesta Bowls in recent years. The point being they've been competitive for a while now and even though it was the first time they've hosted(2nd year of the game), the game wasn't a big deal to it's fanbase (even if it should've been).

@levineps

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

CBS Sports: Way early Preseason Power Poll
http://www.cbssports...layoff-favorite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors